PDA

View Full Version : this will NEVER stop scaring me...

David Aurora
April 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjoK8D6DwI

i remember being convinced when i was about 17 in a metal band that there was no such thing as a chick metal singer (not those wussy chicks who just sing all girly over metal, i mean a total screamer). but i always thought it would be kickass. then one day john sankey the drummer from devolved (check them out if youre a heavy shit fan) brought around a bunch of video clips cause their first video had been played on an all night video show here in oz called rage.

so we're skimming through the clips and while i was looking away or in the next room or some shit i hear this massive roar and old school metal and im like "dude, that dude has a badass voice"......

and he's like "dude.....you might want to take a look at that 'dude'"

and i was like..."dude.....that 'dude' is hot. scary, but hot."

i think the song was probably "ravenous" or some shit, i cant remember and in all honesty that aint my type of metal.

anyways, check it out, its a fuckin eye opener if youve never heard arch enemies stuff before. that chick is the coolest chick of all time and more metal than you.

David Aurora
April 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
wow, i better add something about melissa cross though after watching some more vids...

her screaming is lame as fuck and i would laugh anyone off a fucking stage who screamed the way she teaches people to.

but the angela vid was interesting anyway

Brendo
April 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
wow, i better add something about melissa cross though after watching some more vids...

her screaming is lame as fuck and i would laugh anyone off a fucking stage who screamed the way she teaches people to.

but the angela vid was interesting anyway

i think its more about technique - i mean, nobody walks on stage singing...

bumble-bee, bumble-bee, bumble-bee, bumble-bee!

ya ya ya ya! ya ya ya ya!

David Aurora
April 3rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
i think its more about technique - i mean, nobody walks on stage singing...

bumble-bee, bumble-bee, bumble-bee, bumble-bee!

ya ya ya ya! ya ya ya ya!

nah i really mean her screams are fucking shite! i get the techniques shes trying to teach, im a guy whos even had to do speech therapy for the damage ive done to my throat over the years....pick a ghey practice technique and ive had to do it in front of a reasonably attractive speech therapist :lol: sirening, yelling random crap, talking in strange voices, having teste blowouts, singing gheyly phrased scales......ive done all that and know completely how useful it is......

but her end result- SUCKS. it may be safe for throats and whatever, but it sounds like balls and the more i heard of her students the more that became obvious. it sounds like ass. ill stick to screaming til i taste blood i think, fuck the damage. i would be embarrassed as shit to turn up to a metal show and scream the way she shows on those vids

Brendo
April 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
haha, fair enough.

Immanuel
April 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Those screams are not very impressive IMO. In the studio, there is a profound lack of low frequency openings. On the recording there are so many effects filling in those gaps.

For some other rare voice work, check this out. It is kind of voice exploration and expansion more than singing - though, Jenny Johnson did go into straight classical singing as far as I recall. This is from 1956:
"http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=1111#"

Some of those clips are, well, hard to reproduce. Marita GŁnther later entered Guiness book of records - as did Roy Hart. If you get the chance, try and find the original recording of Eight Songs for the mad King performed by Roy Hart.

David Aurora
April 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Those screams are not very impressive IMO. In the studio, there is a profound lack of low frequency openings. On the recording there are so many effects filling in those gaps.

For some other rare voice work, check this out. It is kind of voice exploration and expansion more than singing - though, Jenny Johnson did go into straight classical singing as far as I recall. This is from 1956:
"http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=1111#"

Some of those clips are, well, hard to reproduce. Marita GŁnther later entered Guiness book of records - as did Roy Hart. If you get the chance, try and find the original recording of Eight Songs for the mad King performed by Roy Hart.

thats some trippy sounding shit man!

for me, the king of producing cool sounds is still nusrat fateh ali khan. so musical and still so interesting from a tones point of view

macr0w
April 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjoK8D6DwI

i remember being convinced when i was about 17 in a metal band that there was no such thing as a chick metal singer (not those wussy chicks who just sing all girly over metal, i mean a total screamer). but i always thought it would be kickass. then one day john sankey the drummer from devolved (check them out if youre a heavy shit fan) brought around a bunch of video clips cause their first video had been played on an all night video show here in oz called rage.

so we're skimming through the clips and while i was looking away or in the next room or some shit i hear this massive roar and old school metal and im like "dude, that dude has a badass voice"......

and he's like "dude.....you might want to take a look at that 'dude'"

and i was like..."dude.....that 'dude' is hot. scary, but hot."

i think the song was probably "ravenous" or some shit, i cant remember and in all honesty that aint my type of metal.

anyways, check it out, its a fuckin eye opener if youve never heard arch enemies stuff before. that chick is the coolest chick of all time and more metal than you.

That is pretty scary..........

And I'll just leave it at that. :Roll eyes:

Aardvark
April 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
'Tis to singing what pro wrestling is to athletics.

Tennage boys might take this caterwauling seriously but for the most part it is the same shit, the same uniform and the same culture of wank. Like many other genres there will be one or two truly inovative and interesting acts but the rest is just derviative crap spewed out for angsty little twots more concerned with style than substance.

All that's needed is Donald Trump and Vince.

Sorry.

Emo for the leather and cross set.

Cheers,
Aardvark

:lol::Twisted::Twisted:

santeri
April 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Like many other genres there will be one or two truly inovative and interesting acts but the rest is just derviative crap spewed out for angsty little twots more concerned with style than substance.

This holds true to all genres, be it AOR, bebop, church music, or Tuvan throat-singing.

However, in case a person is not actually familiar with the genre in question, his/her judgment of the talent and originality is pretty much rendered worthless. :Roll eyes:

Aardvark
April 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
This holds true to all genres, be it AOR, bebop, church music, or Tuvan throat-singing.

However, in case a person is not actually familiar with the genre in question, his/her judgment of the talent and originality is pretty much rendered worthless. :Roll eyes:

I understand....I have read your hockey thoughts!!

:lol::lol:

Cheers,
SAtandeaththrashgrindcorewankVarkorgoth

myrtlebacker
April 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
All that's needed is Donald Trump and Vince.

Vince ? Vince Neil ? I don't get it. :Uh oh:

Fulcrum
April 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Vince McMahon. Apparently the two have started a feud, and one of the main storylines at the last Wrestlemania was a match between proxies of each man to see who lost their rug-- Trump or McMahon.

Honestly I haven't followed that stuff since WCW disappeared, and it hasn't gotten better since then.

Mixerpuppet
April 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I was growing up in metal bands in the early to mid 80's and saw the kids (like me) playing in garages or rehearsal spaces playing stuff that would later on become a genre that did not exist at the time.

For an example, Sean Blosl and an early version of Santuary played a talent show at my high school and recieved success pretty early on. Nick Pollock was stunning guitarist that played in Alice and Chains who became a vocalist for My Sisters Machine and Soulbender. "We" saw the (r)evolution in several directions... It still warms my heart remembering hearing super crappy bands get their act toegether and make a real record...

To further digress...

The birth of grunge was repulsive to most of us metal heads while some saw it as thier opportunity. I was in a band called Alienator playing Ozzy tunes double time and focusing on medieval themes because I loved the movie Excaliber and dragons from Asian martial arts... I ended up as an AE who had to get an aerospace job to pay for guitarist excesses gigs couldn't cover right beofre the Steve Vai/Satriani bug took ahold and sent me packing for the woodshed. (let me out already huh?)

I'm gonna pounce on this because Im old enough to remember seeing/being in early metal bands being criticized for not conforming to the metal genre only to become yet another subdivision of the metal genre.

Originality is the opposite yet paradoxial twin of Genre. A genre is category in which people try pigeon hole a group of similar derivatives of some original act. An original act will fall outside of the boundaries of genre either in a positive way or a negative way. It's man made system to decriminate against the musical variations in nature.

Most innovators suck when compared to the existing characteristics of the genre people try to associate the act with.

There are those who conform and those who do not...

Those who do not conform will always crave the true originality, which upsets the conformist who in some sense who is the regulator and maintenance man of the so called genre.

Yeah, so working in a studio in the late 80's and early 90's I saw strings of bands that were copycats of a genre about to be defined. When the breakout band finally hits the record stands I had already recorded 2 dozen variations of the same thing... New to the audience is usually old hat to the studio folk...

Of coarse all of this is relative to geographical and spacetime constraints...

The Death Growl was invented by my friend Donny who got sick at a party and the band started making fun of him...

Who knew?

:very happy:

Tim Halligan
April 5th, 2007, 01:38 AM
One of my favourite metal stories...

A metal band - possibly Cannibal Corpse...can't remember, but definitely a "cookie monster"/growl vocal type of band - releases a new album. The lyrical content of this album is allegedly controversial...the usual necrophilia/virgin sacrifice/brutal rape type of stuff.

A public outcry. Perhaps it was the Senators' Wives'... (thanks FZ :lol: )

A judge...

...who like most humans on the planet, cannot make out one single word of this "singing".

The judge says that he can't ban this album based on the lyrical content...because in his opinion nobody could understand they lyrics.

The judge's flunky then hands him the cover...with the lyrics printed inside...

Judge: "Oh...right. Banned. Next case..."

I've always thought it highly amusing that these bands sing about some fairly grisly themes...yet they need to print the lyrics in order to be understood.

:Roll eyes:

Cheers,
Tim