PDA

View Full Version : why are so many bands using names that are already taken

pounce
April 4th, 2007, 03:41 AM
so i'm floating around myspace a bit more this week, and i'm trying to search for bands in my area and so forth. so i'm in the myspace music section doing searches the best i can. it turns out that searching in myspace sucks, but it does reveal one thing.

young unknown bands seem to love to choose band names that are already taken. i know i can search the net, i presume they should have looked to see.

i also realized that there are eleventy billion folks who think they are the next big hip hop stars. for whatever reason, the amount of folks listed in that category is staggering.

just thought it was funny that as i also tried to run searches for bands that i like as many have myspace pages, other bands with that same name (or close variations) would exist all over. seems kind of hinky. kind of like if you can't even think of a name that isn't currently in use by another band, how original are the songs going to be?

Tim Armstrong
April 4th, 2007, 04:18 AM
That's the biggest single problem with rock'n'roll, 50 years of band names means most of the good ones have been used! I don't usually worry too much about it as my bands usually play very close to home...

One in particular that really bugged me was when I thought I was so clever in coming up with "Tequila Mockingbirds". Well, there was already one in Boulder, Colorado. And when I moved back east, there was one here, too!

My present band's name is The Mood Swingers, a name shared by a Pittsburgh punk band and a Toronto jazz outfit. Previously, I was in The Killbillies (but not the band of that name that actually released records!).

Heck, I can't hardly even use my own name, as Tim Armstrong of Rancid beat me to the punch there, too....

:Uh oh:

Cheers, Tim

blackieC
April 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I once opened for the "other" Killbillies in Tulsa Oklahoma, and they fucking ROCKED.

No disrespect, Tim.

I'm sure y'all were great, but the show I saw in the company of my band at the time and four other stragglers was fucking genius.

Aardvark
April 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM
... I thought I was so clever in coming up with "Tequila Mockingbirds"...

One of the greatest ever episodes of 'Get Smart'. You had to know someone grabbed that one the day after that show aired!!

Cheers,
Crushon99Vark

vanblah
April 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Heck, I can't hardly even use my own name, as Tim Armstrong of Rancid beat me to the punch there, too....

:Uh oh:

Cheers, Tim

I know what you mean. I even have a boring name but who'd have thought that there were so many Doug Walker's in the world? Not to mention the number of Doug Walker's that are musicians--and a Google search shows that three of us are piano players. I'm thinking about starting a band with nothing but guys named Doug Walker ... but even that's already been done.

Also, it seems there are several bands called Chess Club ... I even did a search when we first chose that name (second choice BTW) and didn't come up with anything. Then when iTunes and other digital outlets started taking off I found several bands called Chess Club.

Maybe we can all sue each other for diluting our brands. Tie up the courts for years. :grin:

Fulcrum
April 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I had to stop calling my band Radiant City after I discovered the existence of a band by that name down in the Georgia/Carolinas area. That's when I went back to calling it Fulcrum.

Now of course there's a Radiant City in Melbourne-- Seagate's neck of the woods.

Who knew Le Corbusier was so influential?

bunnerabb
April 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
The same reason they keep selling cheeseburgers to 25 year olds with 40 year old hit songs.

Nobody has made records that good in years.

The coolest band name in the western hemisphere is "Ballpoint Penguin", so.. I'll be expecting royalties.

:very happy:

dnafe
April 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
We have a local act outta Pembroke that goes under Tequila Mockingbird, good 80's coverband.

We get to hear them every year at the Canada Celebrations at CFB Petawawa.

We sit at our campsite enjoying cold refreshing beverages while listening to the sounds of the band playing on the outdoor patio at the golf course, then mosey over to the east end of the campgrounds and watch the fireworks, which for a small town / Canadian Armed Forces base is pretty damn impressive.

Not a bad day at all actually