PDA

View Full Version : "Fare you well, my honey,

jerryskid
April 7th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Fare you well, my one true love"

Taking my old truck to the junkyard in the morning......

'85 Ford Ranger....

paid $6,500 brand new ......

my baby......

400,000 miles......200 Deadshows.....1 DUI (let's not talk about that......:grin: )

RIP Pinkie.........

:Cry:

http://womb.mixerman.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1941&d=1175917985

and it's snowing........(sigh)

blackieC
April 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I feel for you man, I really do.

I squirted a few the day I had my first Coupe de Ville hauled off because I couldn't afford the care and feeding anymore.

I have owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and they have been reliable workhorses, but my Caddy's have been labors of love.

Grapestomper
April 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
"Long may you run,
long may you run,
although these changes have come.
with your chrome heart shinin' in the sun,
long may you run."

One of may favorite Neil Young songs, written about an old car.

Sad day, J. The only car I've lost that I cared about died suddenly and spectacularly. I've never had to send one out to pasture.

M

bunnerabb
April 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I'm on Cadillac numbuh nine.

It needs a new ignition since I lost the keys, a front wheel bearing, baloneys, a tune up, new brakes and a detailin', but I'm keeping it.

It's spotless and comfy and rust free at 128,000 and change.

Guess I can kiss that 1,200.00 goodbye.

David Aurora
April 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
back up....you bought and drove a pink pickup?????

(NTTAWWT.......)

:Razz:

Grapestomper
April 7th, 2007, 06:36 AM

(NTTAWWT.......)

:Razz:

Mighta been why it was $6,500 brand-new.

blackieC
April 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm on Caddy number three.

I had a much lengthier and poetic post ready, but it was lost to my unstable-as-fuck connection.

Summary: Haynes repair manual, buy tools and parts when you don't have to invest in a new bass rig.

http://womb.mixerman.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1942&d=1175924380

E. Shaun
April 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Ah...I feel you, Jerry. Really, I do.

I'm really enjoying the car I'm driving now...one I bought three weeks ago. First import I've ever owned, but I love the acceleration (it's a V6), and especially the handling.

Still, nothing will ever hold a candle to my true love, my '79 Trans Am that I owned for four and a half years. To this day I feel horrid about ever selling that car, and I vow I will buy another one some day when I can afford to have it not as a daily driver.

Since this is turning into a bit of a picture thread, here's my old baby in her prime...

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2976/tapt9.png (http://imageshack.us)

And back when I used to drag race...

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3286/transampicstf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

blackieC
April 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Fuckin' sweet!

Did that have the Pontiac 400 under the hood?

Never owned a Pontiac, but my '77 Coupe deVille housed a 425 Buick that did me proud and carried me through a few "Dukes of Hazzard-esque" exploits that I shared with Crunch and Gabby, verbal style.

After I spilled it, Gabby told me that I should write it down and post it. That was a few months ago.

One of these days I'm actually going to do it.

Coming soon, "Blackie does stupid things with cars".

Should that come before or after I finish the Blackie ghost stories?

E. Shaun
April 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Fuckin' sweet!

Did that have the Pontiac 400 under the hood?

Nope...the Olds 403. Still, with headers, dual exhaust system and K&N filters (not to mention good rubber), it served me well. More than anything, it was great for cruising along at about 85 MPH in...it was geared in such a way that it wasn't even breaking 3000 RPM at that speed.

Man do I miss that car... :Sad:

blackieC
April 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I just noticed that my Buick 425 post was my my 425'th post.

LONG LIVE GM BIG BLOCKS!

LuckyDog
April 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Here's one that got away:

E. Shaun
April 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Here's one that got away:

Apparently it did an awfully good job of it, too...

blackieC
April 7th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Dang, looks like Lucky's Bronco absconded with the pic of my blue whale as well.

I could have swore that I uploaded it to this server.

Yo, Pimp?

You out there, bro?

Can I have my car back?

jerryskid
April 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

When I bought it , it was beige (actually I believe the proper color was salmon)....after about 4 years of Ohio winters and no garage, the paintjob faded to a soft pink....and hey, my wife picked the color out.........

binaural turbine
April 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
My first car was a '64 cadillac eldorado series 78 convertible, still have the shop manual for it somewhere. I learned a valuable lesson with that car. Do not ever trade cars. Period.

After my motorcycle accident that ended my band career, I bought a '74 Dodge Dart from my best friend's father. I don't really know how many miles I put on that car, because I drove it for over a year without a speedometer. It wouldn't have helped at night because it didn't have any dashlights. When I finally did get a new speedo cable, I wired a little flashlight to the steering wheel so I could read the indicator. I developed a finely honed sense of knowing how fast I was going. I drove for over 10 years before I got my first speeding ticket.

That dart had a 318 V-8. I got it in '78, which was the absolute nadir of American automotive prowess. I used to dust new 'vettes, camaros and trans-ams, much to their owners chagrin. Couldn't kill that engine. The front suspension, however, was so fragile that a dog urinating on the tire would throw the alignment off. I went through ball joints at least every 5 thousand miles, and my front tires never lasted very long. Back in those days, cars had to be inspected every 6 months. I would buy a can of Bondo, take some newspaper and play 'patch the rear quarter panel to pass inspection'.

I'm getting misty-eyed here. There's no way that dart can compare to my subaru in terms of engineering, build quality, etc. It was my baby, though. I think I put at least 200 K miles on it before I sold it to a friend in college for 20 dollars. Last I knew, it was being drag-raced in a back parking lot against a similar 4-door Nova with a 350. On a 30 foot wide asphalt apron. With a house immediately bordering it.:Twisted:

macr0w
April 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I have an 88 Jeep Wrangler that I bought in 89 that I still use as my primary vehicle. I told my wife that I'm going to keep it forever or until I'm dead whichever comes first. :D Other than repairs I haven't made a car payment since like 93.

jerryskid
April 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Other than repairs I haven't made a car payment since like 93.

That's the reason I kept my truck for so long....that and the fact all I needed was liability insurance....

Tim Halligan
April 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM
So Jerry,

Although it's very sad, you having to put your baby out to pasture...the big question is : What are you gonna replace it with?

Enquiring minds...

Cheers,
Tim

E. Shaun
April 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM
So Jerry,

Although it's very sad, you having to put your baby out to pasture...the big question is : What are you gonna replace it with?

Adidas. Two of them.

Tim Halligan
April 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Adidas. Two of them.

Ahh...the old method of file exchange: Sneakernet.

:lol:

Cheers,
Tim

jerryskid
April 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I got a '96 Chrysler Concorde....It was a friend of my Dad's and he can't drive anymore....It's been in a garage for about 7 years and it's in very good condition.....only had to pay a grand for it....

TSTW
April 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
my baby......

400,000 miles......

400,000 on the clock is a good innings jerry!!!

Fulcrum
April 13th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I had a similar sad day a cople of months ago when I had to send my wife's '86 Toyota pickup to pasture.

She'd had it since it was brand new, bought it over the protestations of her father, "Girls don't drive pickup trucks," etc. etc. Then guess who was first to borrow it when he needed to move some sheetrock.

195000 miles and several long road trips (Houston and West Virginia, along with lots of back and forth to York PA) later, the head, or the head gasket, or both, finally shit the bed, and it would have cost as much to fix as it would have done to put the money down on a new ride instead. The thing was held together by rust and wishful thinking at that point, and my wife missed its reliability but not the stick shift and the way it wailed on her lower back.

She scheduled the farewell for a day when she was at work. If she had to see it go she would probably have completely lost it. As it was, when she got home and her side of the garage was empty, she wound up leaning on me a bit for her land legs.

She wound up with my uncle's Chevy Cavalier; he was getting rid of it because he'd gotten too blind to be able to drive any more. It sure beats my Saturn all to hell and back.

blackieC
April 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Not to be a downer or anything, but given my previous experience with the ex-wifes Chevy Cavalier, I have these bits of advice. (Providing of course that you have full coverage insurance.)

1. Put on a pair of tight fitting gloves.

2. Insert a large flathead screwdiver into the lower edge of the rear door quarter window and pull the handle towards you. This will shatter the glass with almost no loud noises to draw undue attention.

3. Use one of the now gloved hands to push the shattered glass inward.

4. Get in the drivers seat and insert a screw-head slide hammer into the key ignition of the car. It will take no more than four strikes of the slide hammer to yank the lock tumbler out.

5. The car can now be started with the large flat-head screwdriver. Just insert into the coupling slot of the ignition switch. It will resemble a large plastic flat-head screw. The screwdriver will now function as a key.

6. Start the car and, preferably late night or early morning to reduce the odds of there being witnesses, drive to either a shallow lake or an inlet of the Long Island sound.

7. Leave all tools that have been used on the floorboard of the car. If you have handled any of theses tools previosly with bare hands, be sure to wipe them thouroughly with an oily rag.

8. Insert car into body of water.

9. Have an accomplice that knows that if they squeal, they're going down with you, drive you back home.

10. Wake the next morning at your usual time. Add ten to fifteen minutes to what would be the usual time that said vehicle would be used.

11. Call local authorities to report vehicle stolen. Remember, haughty indignation is much less convincing than confused bemusement.

12. Wait patiently for check.

13. Buy a Honda.

jerryskid
April 13th, 2007, 04:42 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sqkychair
April 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
5. The car can now be started with the large flat-head screwdriver. Just insert into the coupling slot of the ignition switch. It will resemble a large plastic flat-head screw. The screwdriver will now function as a key.

Aaah , me old set of keys..a trusty screwdriver.

Every stolen car I got back, that was the new ignition key.

frnjplayer
April 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Not to be a downer or anything, but given my previous experience with the ex-wifes Chevy Cavalier, I have these bits of advice. (Providing of course that you have full coverage insurance.)

I'm with Blackie on this one.
I told my wife when we married that if she ever bought a Cavalier it was grounds for divorce.

binaural turbine
April 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I find it extremely hard to believe a Cadavalier beats a Saturn.:lol:

ATTICus Finch
April 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT! My first truck was a 90 ranger and I loved it to death. I regret getting rid of it everytime i see another one with the same body style. THEY NEVER DIE! I put it through 100thou of hell and back and she loved every second untill a freeze plug rusted through one day it it overheated big time. Cracked the head between every valve and started spittin water out the tail pipe like siv.....STILL STARTED RIGHT THE FUCK UP THOUGH. After we tore the motor down to figure out the damage b4 it went to the wrecker it was fuckin mint. The bearings look like the just came outta the assembly line. Only thing that was wrong was the head and i decided it wasnt worth the time to throwit back togeather. MISTAKE.....sad days...I miss bessie. Heres to the ones that stuck to us till the end. She was the first of 5 vehicles I've made immobile. The things we do to the things we love in our youth.

Tim Armstrong
April 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I find it extremely hard to believe a Cadavalier beats a Saturn.:lol:

10-4 to that, my daily driver is a '96 Saturn SL-2 with 180k miles on it, still gets up and goes quite well and gets 35+ mpg doing it.

My backup vehicle is Godzilla (green, prehistoric and Japanese), a 1977 Toyota pickup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/Godzilla.jpg

A man needs a truck!

Cheers, Tim

binaural turbine
April 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
10-4 to that, my daily driver is a '96 Saturn SL-2 with 180k miles on it, still gets up and goes quite well and gets 35+ mpg doing it.

My backup vehicle is Godzilla (green, prehistoric and Japanese), a 1977 Toyota pickup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/Godzilla.jpg

A man needs a truck!

Cheers, Tim

OMG, that's the vehicle that Sarah, John Conner and the Terminator tried to outrun the T-1000 in the gas tanker in "Terminator 2".

"Can't you go any faster?"

"Dis ahpears to be the vehicle's top speed"

"I can get out and run faster than this"

Tim Armstrong
April 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hey, it'll do 80 mph, no problem!

Cheers, Tim

blackieC
April 16th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Downhill with a tailwind?

P.S. I love my Toyota, but yours hails from a time when it was still cool to make fun of them and I couldn't help going "retro".

Tim Armstrong
April 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Not only is it plenty fast, but my Toyota has been significantly lightened by a secret molecular transformation of iron to iron oxide, particularly in the floorboards area. Much improved ventilation, too!

Cheers, Tim

jerryskid
April 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
When I was 15 my grandfather gave me his old '60 Dodge Dart..with the push button transmission....It had a slant six in it and you couldn't kill the bastard. Even after I got a decent car, I drove it out drinking on the weekends and hellraising in it. I had to put 2x4's in the back floorboard, because it had rusted out and there was nowhere to put your feet. Towards the end, nothing on the thing worked, except the stereo and and engine....we took it across the bridge into Kentucky one Sunday afternoon and got pulled over in a Safety Check....The trooper asked me to see my turn signals and I stuck my arm out the window using the standard hand signals.....Needless to say the trooper wasn't pleased, but he followed me to the bridge and let me go........The right strut finally rust through the body and there was no way to fix it.....We took it out to a friend's father's farm and drained all the oil out of it, put a brick on the gas and fired it up.............

it ran for 14 minutes................:icon_eek:

I think it's still sitting out in that field.........I'll head out there and if it is I'll take a pic.....

Sorry bout the ramble........

TSTW
April 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
You can't knock a Toyota..... That being said, you can, but the bugger will keep coming back!!!!!

Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5hzRLG8dA-E

Part 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

Part 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk