PDA

View Full Version : Aches, pains, ergonomics and remedies

6x2
April 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Today I am a new man.

I haven't felt like this in 20 years.

And the reason is that my neck and shoulders are aching quite a bit less than usually.

I had a massage this morning and it was fucking phenomenal. (And no extras, in case you were going to ask.)

So yes. I realised that I've had neck-, shoulder- and most recently backaches for more or less twenty years. That'd be more than two thirds of my life.

These aches are the result of fiddling around with computers, instruments and recording equipment in very strange positions.

Isn't that what we all here do day in, day out?

Some of my peers here in Finland have gone through hell because of back troubles. Constant pain, multiple operations etc.

It's an issue everybody who does this job faces.

So why not have a thread about it?

More tonight.

6x2

seagate
April 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I had a massage this morning and it was fucking phenomenal. (And no extras, in case you were going to ask.)

Just imagine what you'd feel like if you had all the extras! :lol:

Glad you're feelin good!

sea

emtou2u
April 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Just imagine what you'd feel like if you had all the extras! :lol:

Bad Seagate! :Roll eyes:

seagate
April 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Seeing 6X2 is a Fin, I thought I was save from your wrath...

http://www.msc.id.au/private/tmp/couch.gif

MacGregor
April 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM
It's an issue everybody who does this job faces.

So why not have a thread about it?

More tonight.

6x2

Exercises. To be more precise, back exercises.
I'm going to the gym for that single reason for more than 20
years now (yep, I started VERY young because I was 6ft
something back when I was 13. Tall slender guys are prone to
back problems) and only had back problems when I was to
lazy to do my exercises for a longer time.

Mac

lebouche
April 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Mac

Well I'm 5'8 and prone to getting a little tubby if I don't go to the gym and I've had some bad back problems. Most of them come from carrying heavy objects up stairs. It's nigh on impossible to keep a straight back when carrying things up stairs sometimes.
My personal remedy....Swimming.
I think swimming helps bigtime as well as regular gym work and streching to keep the body used to certain amounts of movement and strain.
I havent been to the back dood in a few years...but I don't do much heavy labour anymore:grin:

airborne
April 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Swimming is heaven for shoulders and back.

TSTW
April 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Swimming

Agreed! I think they say its the best form of exersize around, as there's no stress on joints its a complete cardio-vascular workout and GREAT for your 'breathing bags'.

All i have to do now is give up smoking! :Wink:

lebouche
April 10th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Actually the best part of going to the gym for me is when I swim on my back very slowly just floating...its so relaxing. I love the sensory deprivation thing of not being able to hear much...that and the water is the perfect temp at my pool.
Giving up smoking is something I did in December...don't regret it at all. Good luck! You can do it TSTW!
Has anyone tried one of those sensory deprivation tanks??

Fulcrum
April 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
All i have to do now is give up smoking! :Wink:

Paging Tim Halligan.. how you making out with the ciggy-free lifestyle?

Exercise. I started going to a gym again about two months ago to get my stamina back and a bit of tone on these flabby arms. My mom's side of the family tends to get a little barrel-chested at about my age, and that can lead to various circulatory issues; I'd kind of like to learn from their mistakes of not taking the kind of care of themselves that they ought to have done.

However I'm not making as much progress here as I'd like thanks to CAPE, Holy Week at my church, and outrageously high pollen counts that leave me rather short of breath relatively quickly.

Tim Halligan
April 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Paging Tim Halligan.. how you making out with the ciggy-free lifestyle?

Fine-ish... :D

Haven't had a ciggy since September 1st last year.

But, like I've probably mentioned before, I don't feel significantly better than before...because I wasn't feeling bad to begin with...

I have had a bit of upheaval with my personal and professional life, and so my exercise has basically stopped...apart from the odd EFP/ENG gig...and so I'm putting on a little weight.

:Roll eyes:

I need to get back on the bike and work this off, but my other problem is that I'm absolutely bone idle. :lol:

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Armstrong
April 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I need to get back on the bike and work this off, but my other problem is that I'm absolutely bone idle. :lol:

Tim, you're my role model!

Cheers, The Other Tim

Johnny
April 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Mac

Yep. Deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts. Heavy and with excellent form. Shrugs and high pulls/upright rows. No probalo!

6x2
April 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, obviously exercise is a really important factor for the well-being of your back.

The other big thing is your work position.

I've worked in really fucking cramped studios.

Some of the worst studios ergonomically are ones where the computer screen is on my left or right, but the speakers are in front of me. Try to mix without breaking your neck. Try to mix a week. Fucking misery.

Also, I've worked in studios where the computer screen is too high, so I kinda look a little bit up all day long. Terrible. Oh, the pain.

I also worked a lot in a studio which had the work desktop way too high, so I had to kinda reach for the mouse. That hurt too.

Control surfaces are nice in that they reduce the amount of mouse- and keyboardwork... Somehow, though, I'm not too keen on the ones that I've tried, which is actually quite a few. Perhaps it's a question of getting used to them, but that's not happened yet.

In my own room, I have an analog desk, so a big contol surface is out of the question. Frontier design has a nice, one-fader and 20-button unit called that we're getting as soon as they ship them here.

Also, this spring or summer we're doing a modification to our desk to remove one group of modules to make it smaller. In that way we can have the screens lower without having to have them on the way of operating the desk. Should help the neck thing a bit.

6x2

eagan
April 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
ergonomics-

The study and practice of designing and configuring physical items so you don't go "ERG!" when you use them.

JLE