PDA

View Full Version : Let's hack this one up again.

bbkong
April 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I noticed over the weekend that my cymbals were sounding a little stale and dull so I pulled out a can of Brasso and whooped up a brilliant shine again.

Result: better tone, longer sustain.

archtop
April 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm thinkin' about burying my extra ride in a hole in the back yard, take a piss on it, and cover it up with dirt.
let it sit/set for a year, see what we get.

Droolbucket
April 12th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I played with a drummer once who had a ride cymbal with the sizzle rivets in it.

One night, while he was in the bathroom during break, I taped 'em all up with duct tape from the underside.

He didn't notice until 3 gigs later.

Where does that fit in on the poll?:Uh oh:

Droolbucket

rockdart
April 12th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I played with a drummer once who had a ride cymbal with the sizzle rivets in it.

One night, while he was in the bathroom during break, I taped 'em all up with duct tape from the underside.

Droolbucket

LMAO!

Brilliant!?

Johnny
April 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I clean my cymbals with Zims. It's an acid wash that takes the gunk off in a minute.

Most cymbals today aren't made to sound dry and clicky, so the burying your ride thing doesn't really apply. Now, an old K or something? Never clean it.

blackieC
April 12th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Droolbucket

Add the selection, "Your drummer needs to have his sticks in his hands more often than his bong."

I am not a drummer, so my opinion may be quite moot, but the whole dirt vs. no dirt debate seems to me to be as ridiculous as the "what is the best guitar" debate.

It just depends on what you are playing.

I was in a band about four years ago with a drummer that when we went into the studio was happy to play the house kit (mainly because it was a kit that he had custom ordered for himself and then sold on consignment) but brought four snares and five cymbal cases to the sessions. In between songs, he would switch out snares and complete sets of cymbals depending upon what the song called for.

Dirty K's, shiny K's, slightly soiled Istanbuls, spanky new looking UFIP's, and a 20" 2002 that I loaned him after he said that he never liked Paistes yet two days later handed me a couple of Franklins saying that he was sorry but I was never getting my cymbal back.

bunnerabb
April 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I used to clean the cymbals for American Noise's drummer every gig with Roadie in a Bottle and that cotton infused metal polish until you could shave in them.

Does it improve the tone?

Like a mutha.

TSTW
April 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I do, by preference, love the sound of a freshly cleaned cymbol