PDA

View Full Version : Where is Al Sharpton now?

Aardvark
April 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I wonder if that big mouth a-hole is going to apologise to the young men in this case. He won't. He is no better than that a-hole Imus. Oh yes...Jesse Jackson actually went down there while Sharpton was all over the airwaves screaming his nonsense. Jerks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/us/12dukecnd.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

RALEIGH, N.C. April 11 — All remaining charges were dropped today against three former Duke University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/d/duke_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org) lacrosse players who had been accused of rape more than a year ago, North Carolina’s attorney general announced, concluding a three-month investigation of a racially charged case that polarized and outraged many in the state and nation.

An independent investigation “showed clearly that there is insufficient evidence to proceed,” Roy A. Cooper, the state attorney general, said at a televised news conference. “ We believe these individuals are innocent.”

He said the accounts of the events given by the woman who made the accusations were so inconsistent that they were not credible. “She contradicts herself,” Mr. Cooper said.

“In this case, the inconsistencies were so significant and so contrary to the evidence that we have no credible evidence that an attack occurred in that house on that night,” he said.

The decision brings to an end a 13-month ordeal for the young men, two of whom were dismissed from Duke because of the charges.

David F. Evans, 24, of Annapolis, Md.; Reade W. Seligmann, 21, of Essex Falls, N.J., and Collin Finnerty, 20, of Garden City, N.Y., were initially charged with rape, sexual offense and kidnapping.
One of two women hired to strip at the lacrosse team’s spring break party in March 2006 accused them of raping and assaulting her in a bathroom of an off-campus house.

The rape charges were dropped in December, after the woman changed a key detail in the case, saying she could not be sure what had penetrated her when she said she was gang-raped.

The woman changed her story after DNA tests showed no traces of DNA from any of the three defendants or any other Duke lacrosse player on her body or clothes, while traces of other male DNA were present.

Despite the shifting accusations, Mr. Cooper said today that no charges would be brought against the woman. He said investigators and attorneys from his office who talked to her “think that she may actually believe the many different stories that she has been telling.”

This afternoon, the young men, their families and their lawyers expressed their relief that the charges were all dropped.

“It’s been 395 days since this nightmare began, and finally today it’s come to a closure,” Mr. Evans said at a news conference, noting that the three men have been declaring their innocence since they were accused.

“We’re just as innocent today as were back then,” he said. “We have never wavered in our stories.”

Joseph B. Cheshire, a lawyer for Mr. Evans, said the young men had suffered a great injustice through what he characterized as the “tremendous lies” told by the Durham County, N.C., district attorney, Michael B. Nifong (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/n/michael_b_nifong/index.html?inline=nyt-per).

“This is not a great day for celebration,” he said.

“This is a great day for justice....” I hope those gutless twits who run Duke get their asses sued off.

Cheers,
Aardvark

rockdart
April 11th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Don't forget the DA...

Yeah - let's hear a heart-felt appology from Sharpton. We probably won't hear it though - until after they are found innocent in a civil suit case.

Johnny
April 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Let's get him fired!

Kenny Gioia
April 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Let's get him fired!

Who does he work for?

y

PRobb
April 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Sharpton is a buffoon. Has been since he came on the scene with the Tawana Brawley hoax. And the real shame of it is that by making himself such an easy target for ridicule, he damages his own cause.

Kenny- that song is a riot. Who did it?

Kenny Gioia
April 12th, 2007, 05:07 AM
And the real shame of it is that by making himself such an easy target for ridicule, he damages his own cause.

But your mistaking his cause. He's not trying to advance the plight of Black people. He's trying to exploit poor Black people by taking their money in the name of charity to advance his own celebrity.

Opie & Anthony radio show. Broadcast on CBS radio and XM. Soon to be only on XM. You'll see.

CurtZHP
April 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
For some people in this country, it's not the nature of the evidence that matters to them; it's the seriousness of the charge.

macr0w
April 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I voted for Al in the last presidential election. :Roll eyes:

PRobb
April 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
But your mistaking his cause. He's not trying to advance the plight of Black people. He's trying to exploit poor Black people by taking their money in the name of charity to advance his own celebrity.

Yeah, I should have said his apparent cause. Racism continues to be a serious problem in this country.

CurtZHP
April 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I should have said his apparent cause. Racism continues to be a serious problem in this country.

And it will continue to be as long as race-baiters like Sharpton are taken seriously. Sharpton and Jackson et.al. have made an industry out of shaking down and threatening corporations and media networks in the name of "civil rights." If racism were completely eradicated tomorrow, there goes their whole reason for living.

SOT: When's the last time anyone has seen either of these "reverends" preach the Gospel?

bunnerabb
April 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
That pie wagon has been embarrassing himself and the black culture's political stance for decades.

His whole deck is race cards.

If you follow the ideology, you'll find an earnest cry of "No justice, no peace".

If you follow the money... you find Al.

Kenny Gioia
April 13th, 2007, 12:45 AM
And it will continue to be as long as race-baiters like Sharpton are taken seriously. Sharpton and Jackson et.al. have made an industry out of shaking down and threatening corporations and media networks in the name of "civil rights." If racism were completely eradicated tomorrow, there goes their whole reason for living.

SOT: When's the last time anyone has seen either of these "reverends" preach the Gospel?

I could not agree more.

If the White community (broad generalization) were to honestly believe that the Black community (again - broad) was united with Al and Jesse, then we would really be in trouble.

For this reason, I believe it's important that other black leaders with a different POV come forward. Just as I wished that Arab people would unite to distance themselves from the events of 9/11. Unfortunately I did not see this.

PRobb
April 13th, 2007, 02:46 AM
While I don't think Jackson is a paradigm of integrity, I would not put him in the same class as Sharpton.

Kenny Gioia
April 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
While I don't think Jackson is a paradigm of integrity, I would not put him in the same class as Sharpton.

I would tend to agree as I have seen Jesse do some good for communities.

But I have also yet to see him denounce or distance himself from Sharpton, in fact he seems to be aligning himself with him more and more.

weedywet
April 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM
the "white" american community hasn't effectively distanced itself from the lies and murderous greed of Bush/Cheney and co. either.

"leaders" only speak for a small percentage of the real public.

there is no meaningful "black community" OR "white community"
only individuals.

bunnerabb
April 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
only individuals.

But everybody on both ends of it are sure as fuck coppin' that lean every time the shit hits the fan.

there are only individuals when those community members subscribe to the notion that individual ethics create the tone of a community or a nation, and not unwavering adherence to whatever political stance they get shoved into by their leaders or their greed.

lebouche
April 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
the "white" american community hasn't effectively distanced itself from the lies and murderous greed of Bush/Cheney and co. either.

"leaders" only speak for a small percentage of the real public.

only individuals.
Not sure I should open my mouth on this subject but fuck it.
I grew up in a multi cultural society...I went to school with people of many creeds, colours and we learnt that our differences we tiny things like a few drops of melanin.
Here in the UK as a young white male I feel like I have been racially abused...I am constantly assumed to be racist because I am white. Personally I'm bored of hearing all the racism cries... I think rasicm would be much less of an issue here if people didn't obsess about it and talk about it all the time. I'm not to blame for slavery and nor are any of my ancestors although it ashames me as a human being.
I like people...all sorts of people and while I was growing up we really didn t waste much time worrying about our friends skin colour.
I am slightly more nervous when I walk past gangs of youths...maybe even moreso around black youths as I have been mugged and beaten up several times by young black males and twice come face to face with the same demographic in my home robbing me. One time I was mugged at knifepoint in Clapham Junction and I managed to run into a shop to get help...the mugger came in after me and told them I was rascist and the shop keepers kicked me out 'his mother didnt raise him right' so I got marched 20 mins with a knife in my back to the next cashpoint.

My flatmates say that my nervousness is rasicm. I hope not...but I tried to argue if the red curry has given me the shits 2 out of 100 hundred times and the green curry has never made me ill I might be more nervous of the red curry.
My main point is that the more we draw attention to our differences the worse the situation becomes. Maybe oneday a generation will grow up not having heard of rasicm and not worrying about it. I do think there is a cultural problem in modern society we should address, more concerned with youth than race...how many teachers got stabbed in class in Victorian times when children where to be seen and not heard and young people were afraid of consequences.

Uh ho...here comes the lynching.:icon_eek:

Kenny Gioia
April 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Good post.

Thanks for sharing.

Johnny
April 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I sort of agree and sort of don't. There's a way to acknowledge our differences in a mature and good-humored way. My friends and I are like that all the time. Rather than move us apart, it moves us closer because of the way we handle it. My Indian friends joke about my being "down with brown." My Godson's father, an Ethiopian, does a pretty hilarious impression of a suburban white guy. Stuff like that.

It's when we try to pretend we don't notice the obvious that weirdness ensues. Of course I notice when you're a different color than me. When we try to walk on eggshells around each other, then race is all we're thinking about in our hearts. It's constantly on our minds: "don't say this, don't say that...I hope I'm not offending him." I'd rather call my bud "my nizzle" and fix him another martini.

CurtZHP
April 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think the problem is that some in this country look at a person, and instead of seeing an individual, they see a group. They turn that person into nothing more than a small extension of some larger social/political entity.

They look at Johnny's Ethiopian friend and immediately see only a member of the "Black Community." They don't see him.

weedywet
April 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM
good article:

The Duke, Imus, Guantanamo Link
by Stephen Elliott

Read the right wing commentary today and it's all about the absurdity of firing Don Imus positioned against the poor Duke lacrosse players who were slandered and had their lives ruined (ruined is probably too strong a word here, but let's say they had a bad time of it) by the media, Al Sharpton, and an overzealous prosecutor.

"How come nobody cares about the wrongly accused lacrosse players?"

But the links between the Imus furor and the Duke rape case are as thin as the thread in Al Sharpton's finely tailored suit. The real comparison is what happened at Duke and what continues to happen in Guantanamo Bay. What was wrong in North Carolina is a prosecutor and a public media (see Nancy Grace) declared several men guilty before they were found guilty in a court of law and the accused suffered. People have been in Guantanamo for years now without being accused of anything, on little or no evidence. People get all excited when rich white people are falsely accused of crimes, but many of these people also support extraordinary rendition, torture, and detaining non-combatants without trials. What happened at Duke sucks. Innocent until proven guilty is part of our constitution for a reason. It should be continually present when thinking about law and justice. It's something we've left behind in the ever accelerating race to be tough on crime and the non-winnable "War On Terror!!!". Now we have an example the privileged class can relate to. Let's look closely at the case of these wrongly accused white people from Duke University and apply the lessons we learn to the law of the land, especially the land that we occupy in Cuba.

Mixerman
April 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Sharpton is a buffoon. Has been since he came on the scene with the Tawana Brawley hoax. And the real shame of it is that by making himself such an easy target for ridicule, he damages his own cause.

Sharpton isn't a buffoon. He's a sharp guy. He is a regular guest on Hardball, and I'm always impressed with his wit and ability to get across his point. He's also a zealot who crosses the line. But we EXPECT him to cross the line, because right or wrong, if he doesn't cross it, he won't get the coverage.

Don Imus wanted his cake and to eat it too. He wanted legitimacy, while retaining the ability to say outrageous things. He was one of the original "shock jocks." But in recent years, he was almost completely a legit news program. He forgot.

Now if you'll excuse me, I misplaced some emails. I gotta go find them.

Mixerman