PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. R.I.P.

conejito
April 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I can't stop crying, and it's not just the b33r.

He was... hell, he IS my favorite American author ever.

It's very sad to think that he will never write another book or story.

Kurt Vonnegut changed my life for the better with his writings. The world is a better place because of him.

I think the world will miss him dearly.

R.I.P., Kurt.

So it goes...

E. Shaun
April 12th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Oh man.

That really, really sucks big time.

I have a copy of Deadeye Dick sitting on my nighttable right now...and I was just about to start on it.

He's been one of my favorite authors for years, for Mother Night, Slaughterhouse Five, Bluebeard, Welcome To The Monkeyhouse, Sirens Of Titen...so many more...hell, the man is a literary legend, and the world won't see anything like him again.

How very sad. If there's any solace to it, at least he had a long life full of experience, humour, respect and success.

Definite R.I.P.

Hi ho.

:Sad:

bunnerabb
April 12th, 2007, 08:03 AM
My favourite in author in the entire world is dead.

I am...

I'm going to go lie down.

:Cry:

meLoCo_go
April 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM
So it goes...

nobby
April 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
No one more artfully pointed out the absurdities of the human condition.

RIP Kurt :Sad:

Fulcrum
April 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
And now I have to get to work?

Jay-zus, what a way to start your day, finding out about this.

Most truly, a life well-lived.. and others' well-documented. You never for a second forgot that Billy Pilgrim, or Howard Campbell, or Dwayne Hoover, were human beings trying to cope. For all the tics he invested in his characters and narrators ("Hi ho", "So it goes", et al.), he got to the heart of things in a way most authors can never seem to manage.

At least we who understood and appreciated can share our grief with each other-- this karass.

I once knew an Episcopalian lady in Newport, Rhode Island, who asked me to design and build a doghouse for her Great Dane. The lady claimed to understand God and His Ways of Working perfectly. She could not understand why anyone should be puzzled about what had been or about what was going to be.

And yet, when I showed her a blueprint of the doghouse I proposed to build, she said to me, "I'm sorry, but I never could read one of those things."

"Give it to your husband or your minister to pass on to God," I said, "and, when God finds a minute, I'm sure he'll explain this doghouse of mine in a way that even you can understand."

She fired me. I shall never forget her. She believed that God liked people in sailboats much better than He liked people in motorboats. She could not bear to look at a worm. When she saw a worm, she screamed.

She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he can see what God is Doing, [writes Bokonon].

eagan
April 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Drat.

I just read about this minutes ago.

The world needs Kurt Vonnegut.

JLE

Johnny
April 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
That is the suck.

bunnerabb
April 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Somebody, somewhere, sometime.

He tried.

I'm gonna re-read Breakfast of Champions, tonight.

PRobb
April 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM
That sucks. We lost a great one.
R.I.P.

Johnny Gash
April 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt"

Grapestomper
April 12th, 2007, 11:48 PM
"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt"

Amen.

The man was a genius. One of the first "serious" writers I discovered as a kid, and he's been with me every day since.

Cat's Cradle was always my favorite. "Karass", "Sinookas", and the like just struck me as beautiful and useful ideas.

We'll miss you, Mr. Vonnegut.

M

rockdart
April 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Vonnegut:

No Matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful.

If I should die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:

THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC

R.I.P.

Aardvark
April 13th, 2007, 01:47 AM
His influence on me was near immeasurable.

It has been a very long time since he wrote from the vantage of his greatest passion and insight but I still feel that the loss this unique, inspirational voice is a cultural diminishment at a point in our history when we can ill-afford the silencing of conscience like his.

A.

PRobb
April 13th, 2007, 03:42 AM
His influence on me was near immeasurable.

It has been a very long time since he wrote from the vantage of his greatest passion and insight but I still feel that the loss this unique, inspirational voice is a cultural diminishment at a point in our history when we can ill-afford the silencing of conscience like his.

A.

Amen.

blackieC
April 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM
And the universe wept.

hrasco
April 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
In the 70's the only bumpersticker I had on my VW van was one I made myself that said "Honk if You Love Bokonon".

I even got a couple of honks.

RIP