View Full Version : Youtube series with Jaco Pastorius

dnafe
April 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before

Very enlightening and entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCajiXZCFg&mode=related&search=

David Aurora
April 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
heeheehee.....he thinks hes a guitar player......(imagine that in a homer voice......ok im not funny)

seriously, this is fucking rad. thanks dude!

"gimme a gig man!" haha

FajitaTone
April 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have the DVD. I saw it once, and havent picked up my bass since.

I just gave up.

:Confused:

David Aurora
April 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have the DVD. I saw it once, and havent picked up my bass since.

I just gave up.

:Confused:

haha i couldnt blame you man, thank fuck im not a bass player :D

shitty timing for me to see this though.....its like 3AM here, and im at the studio surfing the net cause i couldnt sleep or stop punching walls at home. my brother is starting a 600km trek on a bicycle tomorrow with no planning or safety precautions just to try and prove hes a big man or some shit, and im going nuts worrying. so im surfing, i see this link, and after a few minutes im starting to relax and enjoy the vid then he plays some line and im like "fuck, he sounds like an older version of my brother. fuck!". now im 40 minutes into the series and i just keep hearing similarities with him and my bro. although jaco does beat his ass when he gets going :lol:

Johnny
April 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Never give up when you see a player like that! The only thing between a player like that and you is practice.

otek
April 16th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Yet when this video came out in 1984, Jaco wasn't even at his best, having had long periods of musical inactivity and compounding mental problems.

There are another couple of videos on Youtube featuring Jaco during his stint with Weather Report. All of his sharp, crisp focus is there, and his stunning emotional delivery.

Here's a fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5liRLanDZqg

Ethan Winer
April 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Never give up when you see a player like that! The only thing between a player like that and you is practice.

That is exactly the right attitude! It takes thousands of practice hours to achieve competence and even more to become truly polished. Unfortunately, many people give up long before then, mistakenly believing they don't have the needed ability. But like walking and talking, most of the skills necessary for playing an instrument are purely mechanical and can be developed by anyone given enough time. How one actually applies that mechanical, muscular control is what distinguishes the truly talented from the merely competent.

If you can hear it in your head, then you can become good enough to play it given enough practice.

--Ethan

Swafford
April 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Yeah...maybe.

Here's my Jaco story. About 1985 or so I was living in Rochester, NY and there was this restaurant/club in Henrietta (name escapes me) that had some radical chicken wings. We were in there one Saturday afternoon eating and drinking, picking up tickets as Jaco was playing that evening. Well, don't you know, the band pulls up, and in stumbles Jaco, I mean STUMBLES. Wow, on fire, tripping his fucking ass off, falling over every fucking thing, laughing and gaffawing and generally making a scene. He sat down, and quite frankly, even though all of us were hippies and freaks, dude scared us, so we left. I remember climbing in my old Volvo and saying, shit, we already got our tickets, what the fuck is going to happen tonight...I'll tell you - Jaco tore it up, blew us away, raised the fucking goddamn roof. Right on brother!

pauly
April 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The backstory is pretty creepy. he suffered from
bipolar disorder in his later years and was actually homeless at the time of
this taping. the producers tracked him down sleeping in Washington Square
park and took him to a hotel room for 3 days to dry out enough to make the
tape.

still, his playing is awesome…but at one point he looks straight into the
camera and you can tell, he's checked out.

stevep
April 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Man, thanks so much for the link !

watched all 10 :)

amazing to see him again

peace

stevep
April 19th, 2007, 01:47 AM
The backstory is pretty creepy. he suffered from
bipolar disorder in his later years and was actually homeless at the time of
this taping. the producers tracked him down sleeping in Washington Square
park and took him to a hotel room for 3 days to dry out enough to make the
tape.

still, his playing is awesome…but at one point he looks straight into the
camera and you can tell, he's checked out.

Bummer, ...... so many of the best have come to a sad or much to early end

Fulcrum
April 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Dude, if you ever feel like you wanna cry, read up sometime about the night he died.

I think we have to trust that the good vibes and the infulence he left means he's smiling right about now from above, or across.