PDA

View Full Version : Hocus Pocus by Focus

magicchord
April 13th, 2007, 05:23 PM
God, I'm old! I remember rocking out to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/v/bpV5InLw52U

click!
April 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I sing this in the shower...it keeps my children from invading the bathroom while I'm in it.

"Stop, Daddy!, Please stop!" :D

click!

ggunn
April 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yodel lady who?

Cosmic Pig
April 13th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Ha! Thanks for that Magichord.

Well as long as we're yodeling... take my wife, please. (http://members.shaw.ca/cosmictunes/darkhollow.mp3)

Cos.

bunnerabb
April 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yo dee oh do do dee yo do do dee yo do do dee yo do doe dee yo do doe dee yo do doe puh bah.

Ah, the lyricist's craft.:Wink:

Fulcrum
April 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM
My first exposure to this song was actually on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, where they took this song at a breakneck pace, even faster than this. I was just flabbergasted.

Then they went into Birth from Hamburger Concerto. That was pretty much all it took.

MatsonMusicBox
April 14th, 2007, 03:00 AM
way too cool - I remember hearing this as a kid when it came out - was blown away - not sure there's ever been anything like it before or after!

M.Brane
April 14th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Yeah I'm old too. I had Moving Waves on an 8-track.:icon_eek:

E. Shaun
April 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Yup, even I have Moving Waves.

A classic!

Tim Armstrong
April 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
That was a fun YouTube, thanks for posting it! I always dug that song, and that was one killer rendition!

Cheers, Tim

MacGregor
April 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks fot that link, I've never seen or heard this before.
Me likey a lot.

And that hack of a guitar player seems to know a bit about his job.

Mac

gbacklin
April 14th, 2007, 11:35 AM
My first exposure to this song was actually on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, where they took this song at a breakneck pace, even faster than this. I was just flabbergasted.

Then they went into Birth from Hamburger Concerto. That was pretty much all it took.

Which was the flip side of the 45 normal speed single. I can't even remember how much change I dropped in the box to hear the insanely fast version....Ahhhh the memories...

Thanks for posting !

jerryskid
April 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Fuckin Awesome!!!! thanks for the memories....:grin:

eagan
April 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Old? Oh..... yeah. I suppose it is.

I actually had Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto on vinyl once upon a time, and they got a lot of play.

Oddest memory of seeing them on television (OK, I guess that must have been "Rock Concert".... shit, that IS starting to seem old now!) was seeing those guys with GIGANTIC stacks of leslie cabinets behind them.

Points for irony here in Brendo asking about advice for recording "hard" flute in a new thread. Thijs van Leer (did I spell that right?) was not just a pretty cool keyboard player, and apparent nutcase, but had to have been just about KING of "aggressive" flute in a rock band.

What are those guys up to these days, anyway? The last I can recall about any of them was that Jan Akkerman had been doing a bunch of sort of mellow low key solo acoustic guitar albums.

JLE

Fulcrum
April 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Organist/flautist/yodeler Thijs van Leer (yes, Eagan, you spelled it right) and drummer Pierre van der Linden apparently have a new version of Focus together. The particular lineup from the clip, with bassist Bert Ruiter and guitarist Jan Akkerman, tried to get back together in the early 90s but, well, didn't.

Akkerman seems to still be active. He has his own channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=janakkerman).

Joel DuBay
April 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM
WAIT!

I KNNNEWW IT!

That "is" MEL GIBSON Yodelling!

Joel DuBay
Chameleon Bass Traps!
(https://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.configure-chameleon-bass-traps)Ready Acoustics

omikl
April 15th, 2007, 08:00 AM
All hail Jan Akkerman! Have you listened to the fills he's just throwing in there off the cuff? Nice to see his Sig. model Framus as well.

He plays solo acoustic Jazz these days.

Oh yeah. He was a LIne 6 endorsee a few years back when they brought out the Variax Acoustic.

Fulcrum
April 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Talk about yer Talent Deserving Wider Recognition, Akkerman deserved to be a guitar god to a lot more people here. I don't know why that never materialized-- if he chose simply to concentrate on Europe, or if he was just never in the right place at the right time... but yeah, those fills immediately identify who's playing.

Droolbucket
April 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Great clip!

Although every time he does the whistling part, I fully expect that front tooth to pop loose and fly across the stage.....

Droolbucket

James Wilsey
April 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Who said Prog and Yodeling don't mix?