PDA

View Full Version : And you thought dropping your axe was bad...

click!
April 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM
$90,000 down the stairs. Oops.:Uh oh:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=447706&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

click!

David Aurora
April 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
oh man. poor fuckin dude :Cry:

CurtZHP
April 13th, 2007, 06:06 PM
"Do you want fries with that?"

Immanuel
April 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I had a small nightmare myself yesterday. I am rearranging my apartment, and when moving a 19" CRT monitor, I accidentally pushed a bookcase. It really felt bad standing helpless with a heavy monitor in my hands and see the bookcase slowly falling down on my newly purchased totally mint Alesis BRC remote ... and then changing direction and pushing my handmade Vechter guitar (my only high quality guitar). I was very lucky. The BRC had its first scratches, but that appears to be all. The Guitar survived without a single wound. :icon_eek:

Hopefully the Grand Piano was a pure rental instrument, so nobody's personal instrument was harmed. It is bad getting business hurt, but getting your beloved instrument hurt is really bad.

CurtZHP
April 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
The pathetic part is just that. It wasn't a rental; it was an $88,000 purchase, and only insured for $50,000. Stupidity should be painful. If you're going to shell out that much for a piano, then spend the few extra bucks (how much more could it have been??) to insure it for the full cost! Otherwise, it's your funeral!

Immanuel, your story reminded me of a similar incident 100 years ago when I was in a band with my cousin. We were recording in his parents' old house (they had moved across town and had not yet sold it, so it was vacant). We moved some gear from my little home studio to the house, including a 1/2" 8-track in a roll-around stand, and a 12-channel mixer. The mixer was crap, but it was what I could afford at the time.

Anyway, my cousin had a van, so he was transporting the gear. I went ahead in my car. When he backed into the driveway, he hopped out and said, "Dude, you better sit down before I open these doors. We had a little mishap."

His friend blurted out that, while they were negotiating a turn, the very heavy 8-track tipped over and landed right on the mixer, which was not in a roadcase. The faders for the last three channels looked like someone creamed them with a sledge hammer! Believe it or not, a couple of them still worked! (Of course, they weren't exactly "smooth throw" after that.)

I ordered replacement parts and fixed it once our sessions were done.

Immanuel
April 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM
... including a 1/2" 8-track in a roll-around stand, and a 12-channel mixer. The mixer was crap, but it was what I could afford at the time.

My first attempt on creating a home studio back in 93 included a Fostex b16 16 track machine ... and a Boss 8 channel mixer (and people say Behringer is bad :lol: ). Realising that my financial situation changed and I couldn't afford a proper mixer, I sold the tape recorder (and later the mixer, though it was harder finding a buyer for that one).

You didn't mention any damages on the 8 track. I guess you had "luck in bad luck" as we say in Denmark.

eagan
April 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I ordered replacement parts and fixed it once our sessions were done.

...and bought road cases?

JLE

CurtZHP
April 15th, 2007, 03:56 AM
...and bought road cases?

JLE

Nah. We just never took the stuff on the road again after we finished recording.

No damage to the 8-track, though. That thing was built like a tank.

Spock
April 15th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Just 2 months ago, I dropped a $1K camera lens.

I had it in my left hand, camera with a different lens on it in my right, and it slipped out of my hand from about waist level on to the floor with a heavy carpet. About 30 people saw it happen and heard a crunch.

Lucky for me, the lens body was metal not plastic like most made today. The crunch sound was a UV filter I had on for protection. The front element was fine and the lens worked.

omikl
April 15th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I didn't do it myself, but I met a guy who was there:

Back in the 70's a company in New Zealand was taking delivery of a new IBM Mainframe.

A big deal back then.

They thought it would make a good publicity photo to have the CEO pose in a forklift truck pretending to be unloading it from the back of the lorry.

Guess what?

Mr Highly-Paid accidentally put the forklift in gear and shoved the Mainframe right off the back of the truck.

Oops.

We're probably talking multple tens of millions of US$ worth of damage.

I really hope that one's true. If it's an Urban Legend it's a good one :)

Dr. Bob
April 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Back in the day...

I worked for GE Medical Systems in Beerwaukee... We put together a half million dollar cardio vascular cath lab for a hospital in Saudi Arabia.

They were loading the big assed imaging platform on the back of a cargo plane... and created a bit of their own OSF... (Oh Shit Factor)... Evidently, it flipped off the back of the plane's lift.

Word has it that it made like a 3' long x 8" deep hole in the tarmac at O'Hare. I believe it after seeing the thing. Unlike the Bosendorfer... this thing was completely screwed.

omikl
April 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
A few years back the lads at the old KL cargo terminal had a 50% kill factor for stuff we got shipped from the UK. ICL used to love us 'cos they got to sell two for one: One to us, one to the insurance company :)

Oberlehrer
April 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
The last few times I've moved I had my Grand Piano handled by a special local moving company - except one time when I had to move on real short notice. This time a "regular" company moved the piano and consequently managed to drop it (or to be more precise: managed to let it slip down part of a stair). Luckily my Grand is very sturdy and so the damage to the wall that stopped it was bigger than to the piano...

omikl
April 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Last time we moved it took three trips with the car fully loaded to shift my guitars. Fortunately it was just a couple of K's away :Redface:

My wife's two digital pianos were much easier.

We have to move countries in a year and a bit. Guess I'm selling some six strings before then.