PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Mac Guy, PC Guy Both Need Cock Punch

Fulcrum
April 14th, 2007, 01:16 AM
From http://www.thebrushback.com

LOS ANGELES--According to a recent poll conducted by Arbitron Media Research, 73 percent of Americans think the “Mac guy” and the “PC guy” from the popular Apple TV ads both need of a cock punch. The poll also suggested that most viewers didn’t know which character is supposed to be likeable and which is supposed to be the asshole. “According to our research, most people in America would like to deliver a savage beating to both of these supposed ‘opposite’ characters,” said Alex Freemont, a researcher at Arbitron. “Most feel that the PC Guy was a hopeless dork, and the Mac Guy was a smug hopeless dork, and that the ad did nothing to change their impression of computers but did, in fact, made them hate Apple. Personally, I like the PC guy a little better because at least he combs his hair and shaves once in a while. I mean, you’re on television, asshole. At least try to look presentable.”

CaptainHook
April 14th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Am i a smug hopeless dork cause i like those ads? :Uh oh:

weedywet
April 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM
no, you're a smug. hopeless dork if you write columns telling other people who is a smug, hopeless dork.

Apple has done very well with those adds...
I don't think they care what this guy or this "research" says.

Brendo
April 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
the british ones are great.

M.Brane
April 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Personally I hope the add campaign is a failure, and most people continue to use Windows.

Just my opinion as a Mac user. Apple has taken on enough M$-like qualities in the last few years as it is. They need to stay small for their own good, and ours.

BTW I don't watch much TV, and actually saw a parody of those adds before I saw a real add. I couldn't see the humor in the parody, and still don't.

The real adds suck too. Just like most advertising.:Thumbdown:

CaptainHook
April 14th, 2007, 05:30 AM
the british ones are great.

Gotta link handy?
Youtube?

David Aurora
April 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
put me in the nerd basket, these cracked me up the first couple times

lebouche
April 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
These ads make me scream and swear everytime I see them cos my mac crashes constantly and it cost me 2g sterling a year ago. I often find my self saying to it bitterly.....'I'm a mac and I don't crash':lol:

Time to reinstall osx :(

M.Brane
April 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM
These ads make me scream and swear everytime I see them cos my mac crashes constantly and it cost me 2g sterling a year ago. I often find my self saying to it bitterly.....'I'm a mac and I don't crash':lol:

Time to reinstall osx :(

Run Memtest lately? That's usually a RAM issue.

Also do not touch the mouse or the keyboard while the installers are running unless they ask you to. This is especially important during the "Optimizing system performance" phase.

Brendo
April 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Gotta link handy?
Youtube?

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/

Some are direct remakes of the US ones, but some are original, and those ones are great.

CaptainHook
April 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Cheers! :)

lebouche
April 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Run Memtest lately? That's usually a RAM issue.

Also do not touch the mouse or the keyboard while the installers are running unless they ask you to. This is especially important during the "Optimizing system performance" phase.
Thanks v much...just ran the test.
No problems found but it was well worth trying :)

pounce
April 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
the only crashy mac i had was because of some cheap third party ram i put in that also passed the mem test, but still screwed up the machine. pull out that cheap ram and no crashes. so ram is always a suspect. and a completely clean install of osx is always a good thing. i'd go so far as to write 0's to the drive (an option in disk utility) and then reinstall the os. that should do the trick, really.

oh, i am amused by the commercials, but i can also see how they might come across as smug and put people off.

New Car Scott
April 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM
made me laugh; however profane it draws an image in the mind.

I'm a mac guy but I think the ads makes Mac users look like stuck up, snivlly-mocha-no fat-espresso, open toed with socks, sweater wearing, Coldplay listenen, "I need new cords", "the fat guy is a nerd cus he's fat, lets not talk to him in Gym class cus he's fat,"

The PC guy was, no doubt cast by putting out a call..."WE need a fat fuck with glasses, distincly unsexy, bad hair and suit!!" cus why??? because thats PC's Oh I get it!!!!!

I need a penis punch

any takers

bbkong
April 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'll go with the cock punch myself.

On the other hand the pc guy has other tv gigs going and he does seem to have a sense of humor about his own dorkiness. Ya gotta love the webcam taped to his head.

I think it's worthy of note that it's Mac that's bending over backward to run Windows apps and not the other way around.

lebouche
April 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
the only crashy mac i had was because of some cheap third party ram i put in that also passed the mem test, but still screwed up the machine. pull out that cheap ram and no crashes. so ram is always a suspect. and a completely clean install of osx is always a good thing. i'd go so far as to write 0's to the drive (an option in disk utility) and then reinstall the os. that should do the trick, really.
I read up on it before I bought the Ram, peeps said that it made no difference which manufacturer it was.
HHHmmmmnn, thanks.
Just took it out
:)

weedywet
April 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'll go with the cock punch myself.

On the other hand the pc guy has other tv gigs going and he does seem to have a sense of humor about his own dorkiness. Ya gotta love the webcam taped to his head.

I think it's worthy of note that it's Mac that's bending over backward to run Windows apps and not the other way around.

yes, there's nothing worse than a company trying to give as much value and flexibility to its customers as possible.
assholes.
:Twisted:

meanwhile.. don't you think that Dell or whomever would LOVE to be able to offer OS X compatiblilty?
Apple doesn't LET them.

Microsoft doesn't make hardware. That's the difference.
They're just as happy no matter WHO buys the software.

Oberlehrer
April 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Microsoft doesn't make hardware.

WRONG!

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/worldwide/default.mspx

Ok, so this might stretching it a bit - but I actually have a MS optical mouse somewhere.

Anyway, about those commercials: I think they are done a bit tongue-in-cheek. Of course it's all overblown; but I also sense a certain amount of self-irony in there. Yes, the "Mac guy" is a bit irritating - but the message seems to be that he gets the job done nonetheless (and has lots of fun doing it).

And John Hodgman (the "PC" - who is himself a Mac user if I'm not mistaken) certainly comes across as a nice guy - but still he has all the troubles the "Mac" doesn't have. Which in my opinion is the whole point of those commercials.

mousdrvr
April 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Oh God how I want to go on a tirade here!

But, I just found out this sexy new web app I'm building for work is going to have to support a few flavors of IE. My weekend will be spent, wrapping and sniffing. So I don't have the time :lol:

oh well "Embrace and Extend" :Roll eyes:

-mous

CurtZHP
April 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM
The mac guy always struck me as underdressed considering what you pay for one of those doorstops.

Personally, I always thought the PC guy should be wearing the jeans and the t-shirt, while Mr. Mac should be wearing an Armani suit.

Brendo
April 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM
The PC guy was, no doubt cast by putting out a call..."WE need a fat fuck with glasses, distincly unsexy, bad hair and suit!!" cus why??? because thats PC's Oh I get it!!!!!

Actually... he's a real life Mac user...

Fulcrum
April 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM

He was also cast because he's somewhat well-known in the States. He's John Hodgman, one of the contributing "correspondents" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

EDIT: Bubba alluded to it, and Oberlehrer beat me to that factoid. More coffee for me, then, thanks.

weedywet
April 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM
actually when he was cast, he wasn't yet 'known' or on the Daily Show.

yeah, thsoe "doorstops".. that's why almost no one in pro audio uses them... oh, wait...

M.Brane
April 16th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks v much...just ran the test.
No problems found but it was well worth trying :)

How many times did you run the test? It's a good idea to let it run 4-5 instances.

I'd still bet on a hardware issue of some kind. Could be incompatible firmware on a drive or PCI card or any number of things. Hard to troubleshoot this kind of thing sometimes. Lots of variables.

I honestly don't remember the last time my Frankenstein G4 crashed. I have had some issues with it when I was setting it up (read: experimenting, and hacking it) but it's solid as a rock now. I even let my 7-year-old loose on it (he has his own account) and even he hasn't been able to fuck it up.:D

lebouche
April 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
How many times did you run the test? It's a good idea to let it run 4-5 instances.

I'd still bet on a hardware issue of some kind. Could be incompatible firmware on a drive or PCI card or any number of things. Hard to troubleshoot this kind of thing sometimes. Lots of variables.

I honestly don't remember the last time my Frankenstein G4 crashed. I have had some issues with it when I was setting it up (read: experimenting, and hacking it) but it's solid as a rock now. I even let my 7-year-old loose on it (he has his own account) and even he hasn't been able to fuck it up.:D

I ran the ram test once...it took hours!
The thing crashes on its own with no extra hardware.
I'm going to see how it fares today without the foreign Ram.

Thanks

bunnerabb
April 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
All manufacturers of anything, regardless of how we use their product, want us to subscribe to their brand on a level that is over and above the product's actual usefulness. They want us to see it as some sort of statement about who we are so they blow millions of ducats to allude to certain aspects of their product that have some sort of social ramifications and tell the world what we are about if if we buy and use them.

Mac guy, PC, guy, Pepsi guy, Coke guy, Ford guy, GM guy, etc...

This is because we're all fucked up about the stuff we own and we want it to help define us and make us look smart and successful if we own it.

The simple fact of the matter is that computers are barely getting out of the Model T stage, are bulky, dodgy, crashy and can barely get out of their own way and I'd rather they blew that money on R&D.

ggunn
April 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
actually when he was cast, he wasn't yet 'known' or on the Daily Show.

Are you sure about that? I saw him on the DS long before those Mac ads started running.

I heart my Macs. I've had nine or ten of them, starting in 1984 or so.

Unfcknblvbl
April 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
No, whoever came up with this ad campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3icfcbmbs

deserves the cock punch.

weedywet
April 17th, 2007, 04:19 AM
what would they call the product for use after the "cock punch"

and while I'm at it... "cock punch"?

this is a COMMONLY used phrase?
really?
by people OUT of high-school???
I need to get out more

and you need to get a LOT less pent-up-violent

st robert
April 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
this is a COMMONLY used phrase?
really?
by people OUT of high-school???
\

hey, high school was the toughest 9 years of my life. get off your fucking high horse.

:D

rob

G. Hoffman
April 18th, 2007, 05:57 AM
The guy who plays the PC on the American spots did a thing for This American Life (the radio version) a few weeks back, which is up on their website HERE (http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1182), which is quite funny. Highly recommended. But then, that's true of most things on This American Life. (I'm thinking pretty hard about getting Showtime so I can see the TV show, which is pretty sad since it will certainly come out on DVD at some point.)

Gabriel

Aardvark
April 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Those ads are brilliant.

Not only are Macs superior machines and clearly the choice of discriminating, educated, erudite and well-hung users but your average PC user is just that...average!

Whenever you have an ad campaign that everybody is talking about you know it is effective.

Can anyone remember, good or bad, an ad for any other computer product (outside of Apple) that was even half as successful as this one?

Now why don't you Mac bashers go and chill for a while...grab your Zune and listen to some tunes or something...while you run adaware for the third time today.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers,
ArseVark

seagate
April 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
what would they call the product for use after the "cock punch"

Head on, apply directly to the ....

Nah, I got nothing... :(

lebouche
April 19th, 2007, 12:17 AM

oh, i am amused by the commercials, but i can also see how they might come across as smug and put people off.

Thanks v much pounce...my mac was running smooth today with the alien ram taken out. I guess I'll need to buy some more in the next few weeks for band recordings. Wish I could get my £200 back!! Fuckers.:Thumbsup:

vocalnick
April 19th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Now why don't you Mac bashers go and chill for a while...grab your Zune and listen to some tunes or something...while you run adaware for the third time today.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zounds! Thy hast impugned my sacred platform!

Just for that, I'm going to...

... oh no wait, I don't care. :Razz:

ggunn
April 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Zounds! Thy hast impugned my sacred platform!

Just for that, I'm going to...

... oh no wait, I don't care. :Razz:

I thought you were going to say, "....oh no wait, I have to run my updated anti-spyware and adware, purge a couple of Trojan horses, update my registry, repair my BIOS and reboot..." ;^)