PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday....

Joel DuBay
April 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
To all those who have friends, family members or anyone who may have been affected by the tragedy yesterday, I'd like to offer my sincere condolences. There is nothing more I can say at this time that would help this matter in any way.

This song (from a dear friend) was on my mind when I heard about all that had happened. The song is not rightly titled for the moment, but to me, the music fits what positive things may come of the event later as those folks pull together and become stronger as a result of everything they are going through.

Sorry if anyone things this is sap, but it ain't to me.

Artist: Paul Ortiz
Web:www.myspace.com/figureground
Song: Proud (http://www.powermadness.com/paul/Seventine/chimpspanner+proud.mp3)

Joel DuBay
www.readyacoustics.com

ggunn
April 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM
The buzz on (conservative) talk radio this morning was (predictably) if it was OK for students and teachers to pack heat in the classrooms, then someone would have shot the son of a bitch before he could have done all that he did.

Maybe so, but life is an exercise in risk management. If I carried a parachute on every flight I took, then I'd stand a better chance of surviving a midair disaster, but balanced with the vanishingly small chances of such an occurrence, the PITA factor in carrying a 'chute outweighs the advantages, so I don't.

Same here. If everyone carried guns, there probably would be fewer occurrences like what happened at VMI yesterday, true enough, because persons inclined to wreak such havoc would likely be deterred from doing so if they knew the populace was armed. OTOH, the likelihood of small disagreements in the general population escalating into firefights would (IMO) be much higher.

What happened yesterday was terrible, no argument there, but my probability of being caught in such a situation is, like that of a midair airplane disaster, astronomically small. Just like I do every time I get aboard a plane, I'll take my chances.

Johnny
April 18th, 2007, 02:31 AM
It's not just conservatives. Many are using this to callously advance whichever agenda they support. It's in very bad taste either way. Who cares if it would have never happened if ____? It did happen.

CurtZHP
April 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM
It was only a matter of time....

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/04/17/video-olbermann-blames-bush-for-virginia-tech-massacre/