PDA

View Full Version : If ya know anything about boss hdrs.....help please....

David Aurora
April 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM
hey kids.

im doing some stuff with a band over the next week and tonight im going down to their jam room to go over the songs we will be working on.

since they have a recording thingy there (a boss br1600) i was thinking it would be good to record a live mix of them so we can listen back and talk about parts etc.

however.....ive used that piece of shit before last time i worked with them......and i hate it. its probably great for a recording musician, but for somebody used to actual recording it seemed to be confusing as fuck! it took me 20 minutes to access eq/comp and then about 30 minutes to save presets so we had them for the next song they were demoing. the manual was kind of written from the point of view that you dont know anything about recording, so as i said its great for musos, but from my point of view id be like "ok, how do i bus these signals to this pair of tracks and simultaneously send them to a little verb and send the fx output to that same pair...." "THANKS YOU A BUY BOSS STUDIO IN BOX. VERY EXCITED BE HERE. TEA! COFFEE? YES. HAM ON FADER MAKE SIGNAL VERY ACTIVE. ALL FUNCTION MILLION DOLLAR STUDIO, ONE BOX. VERY GOOD HAPPY." "hmmm.....ok, chapter 12, routing, not there....."

anyways, i dont wanna fuck around with it. so i figured i could drag my shit down, mix it on my board to a stereo input on the boss thingy, then burn the songs onto cd with the built in burner....in theory......but the band dont know how to do it, so im trying to figure out in spare minutes today if its gonna be simple enough or if its gonna be the kind of thing where i get the stereo mix down and then i have to export the tracks for 40 minutes per song or something, then its a single speed burner.

anyone know those damn machines? im gonna try to download a manual and have a look but last time i saw it the manual was a waste of time and didnt tell us how slow the machine processed things

if its feasible, how do you do it?

bunnerabb
April 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I was palmed one for a desk mix at a live gig, once... once.

Plugged it in, punched in the command set, pronounced it shit and handed it back.

A bloody Denon and a desk out is better.

David Aurora
April 18th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I was palmed one for a desk mix at a live gig, once... once.

Plugged it in, punched in the command set, pronounced it shit and handed it back.

A bloody Denon and a desk out is better.

yeah man actually i have been trying to decide whether to just drag a fuckin cassette deck down instead :lol:

all i wanna do is have something to play back to them while we discuss things tonight, and then something i can chuck in the car til friday to get used to the new arrangments of the songs and confirm tempos etc.

but my tape deck in my car is moody and my tape deck at home is fucked. the only one i have that works 100% is the one that sits unplugged on a shelf in the studio hehe.

worst case scenario ill take it but if i can put it on cd id rather that.

glad im not the only one who thinks these fucking machines are evil though!

bunnerabb
April 18th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Denon out, converters in, , 44.1 / 16, burn to disc.
bob's yer uncle.

David Aurora
April 18th, 2007, 04:28 AM
yeah but that adds one more lot of listening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how do i put this.....its my best mates band......im trying to do the most i can to help them such as dragging gear down to a rehearsal to give us an extra edge on recording by having a last minute extra round of demos to fine tune things........but im not a fan of the band.

bunnerabb
April 18th, 2007, 05:17 AM
So bang all into a roll of Chromium oxide, spend the hour you weren't slagging gear down steps to sort the conversion, bash it on a PSP VW, drag in the 44.1 / 16 and wait for the lamp to switch on.

fuck the dumb shit.

this isn't quantegy, this is some bloke with a guitar.

Do or do not do.

bunnerabb
April 18th, 2007, 05:19 AM
tell him his top shelf kit is the equivalent of some dodgy OAP's walkman and get on with it. :)

David Aurora
April 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM
haha yeah

given the overwhelming amount of useful info ive found online and in the pdf manual......i think ive decided to go with ye olde tape deck. i dont even need to be recording this but it will give me two more days of analysis to figure out how the fuck to make them sound better than they seem to sounding.

just plugged in the deck to find the transport playing up though, maybe its an omen :lol: its working enough to get through tonight though

ahh ya gotta love these gigs. good friends.....interesting band.....trying to find the balance between helping mates and getting suicidal from hearing the bass player fuck the intro single hit open e for the 9th time in a row :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :lol:

frnjplayer
April 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
This may be your opportunity to .... uhm.. upgrade?
Got a laptop?
Get one of those cheap USB 2 channel converters and record right to computer.
Don't got a laptop?
Oh well, cassettes can still be your friend.

David Aurora
April 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
so i ended up going with the cassette deck.

holy fucking shit. that felt good recording without looking, and rewinding and shit.

dont get me wrong, cassette sounds like balls. im not glorifying its tonal qualities.

but id forgotten what its like to be able to work that efficiently. plus, rewinding between takes gives you forced breaks and theres no better time to fill those pauses than discussing what we just heard.

it was also good to be reminded that i have good enough chops to commit shit going in. im so used to digital and just going "fuck it, ill record totally dry just in case i dont get the eq right" or some shit, going live to 2 track (whether analog or digital) is the opposite. if you dont do your eqing and compression and whatever, THEN you sound like you fucked it.

anyways, yeah, im still a little buzzing about doing a kamikaze cassette recording like we used to in high school