PDA

View Full Version : Have bicycle, will travel. (or, Gabe tries to blow out a knee!)

G. Hoffman
April 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM
So, Monday night I'm getting on a plane to follow my bike (which is already in transit) to Phoenix for a two week (and a few days) to the Grand Canyon and on to Las Vegas. If I do every mile on the bike, it's about 600 miles, but I don't really want to camp in the Canyon (not that it wouldn't be great, but that's half way through the trip, and I'm guessing I'll want a hot tub and a shower by then!), so I'll probably end up staying in Williams for a few days and taking the Canyon train up to the park before heading off to Vegas.

I wanted to do the north rim, but it would take 100 mile days every day, and since I would be climbing about 13,000 feet (up 7k, down 4k, up another 5k), it just doesn't seem likely - I'll have a hard enough time doing 40-60 mile days as it is. Then again, from the Canyon to Vegas will be mostly downhill - whee!

So, I won't be around much for a while, if anyone misses me (like thats gonna happen).

Gabriel

emtou2u
April 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM
hey....i'll miss you!

and i'm envious!!!!

be careful of the old folks in the RVs, and the multi car semi's...it's easy to get pulled into the cross draft between cars.

wow....how very cool. also, lots of sunscreen...

ok....what else...if you have a camel back try to wear it on the front somehow or put it into a panier with a longer tube...if it's on your back the water gets warm and isn't as refreshing...

ok...that's it for now...!

be careful Gabriel!

-em

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

Grapestomper
April 19th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hey Gabe,

I haven't forgotten that I said I'd help with road suggestions for your Napa trip this summer.

Have a blast, and take lots of pictures.

M

jerryskid
April 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Enjoy.....

sounds like a blast.......

May the wind always be at your tail, and the drunks miss with their beer cans...........

MacGregor
April 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
So, Monday night I'm getting on a plane to follow my bike (which is already in transit) to Phoenix for a two week (and a few days) to the Grand Canyon and on to Las Vegas. If I do every mile on the bike, it's about 600 miles, but I don't really want to camp in the Canyon (not that it wouldn't be great, but that's half way through the trip, and I'm guessing I'll want a hot tub and a shower by then!), so I'll probably end up staying in Williams for a few days and taking the Canyon train up to the park before heading off to Vegas.

I wanted to do the north rim, but it would take 100 mile days every day, and since I would be climbing about 13,000 feet (up 7k, down 4k, up another 5k), it just doesn't seem likely - I'll have a hard enough time doing 40-60 mile days as it is. Then again, from the Canyon to Vegas will be mostly downhill - whee!

So, I won't be around much for a while, if anyone misses me (like thats gonna happen).

Gabriel

Sunblockers and lots of water are your friend. And if you camp outside at
the Canyon it's very coooold at night.

But you already know this I guess.
Have fun

Mac

Fulcrum
April 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm with the Stomper of Grapes. Lots of snapshots.

Safe travels. Extremely envious.

Unfcknblvbl
April 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Gabe - how long are you going to be in The PHX?
PM me to see if we can meet up for a carrot juice or something to celebrate your ride.

G. Hoffman
April 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM
ok....what else...if you have a camel back try to wear it on the front somehow or put it into a panier with a longer tube...if it's on your back the water gets warm and isn't as refreshing...

It's living on the front rack under the Thermarest and the tent poles. I'm bringing two 3 liter reservoirs and a couple of water bottles (which will probably get filled with juice or some variety of sports drink).

Did I mention that my second (or so) day, from Wickenberg to Yarnell, is a 3000 foot climb in about 30 miles? I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that one, and Ash Fork to Williams (a bit under 1500 feet in about 10 miles) is also going to be interesting. The ride from Williams BACK to Ash Fork on the way to Vegas should be fun, though. Looking at the elevations, though, the first week has almost no downhill runs at ALL. A few, but most of them are short and shallow. The anticipation is almost enough to make me wish I didn't know HOW to read elevations. :grin:

I think I've got all my kit packed into my duffel for air transport (If I tried to just use my panniers, they would hit me up for at least two pieces of excess baggage, and I've got a duffel that folds up small enough to ride in a pannier, or to be cheaply shipped to a UPS store in Vegas), and I've got the weight to just under 50 pounds, (not including my carry ons, of course), so I should be good on the weight restrictions. I hope. I'll have to pickup a few things in Tempe that I took out to get down there, but I'm there. (and yes, I know that's a lot of weight for a largely uphill trip - what can I say, I'm not interested in being one of those supper light weight bike guys). Hell, the gear still all weights less than I've lost in the last year, so it shouldn't be TOO bad.

Including the bike, the whole rig is still under 100 pounds, and with me added on, I'm pushing less than 300 pounds up those hills.

You know, when I put it that way, I almost want to give up the extra pair of shoes and the spare tire. I will NOT be giving up my second pair of underwear, however, and the second pair of bike shorts is staying!

As for the snaps, that all depends on if I can get dad to loan me his camera. I'm not willing to buy one, because if it was completely up to me I wouldn't bring one at all. I have this theory on picture taking when on vacation - I would rather look at the place I'm visiting than look at a camera. So, even if I DO get a camera to use, I won't be taking too many pictures, but I'll have a few. We'll see.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
April 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Sunblockers and lots of water are your friend.

Yeah, though the only really bad days heat wise will be the first few and the last few. Once I get to Yarnell and until I get to Kingman, it will be rather pleasent (at least, if the National Weather Service (http://www.noaa.gov/) can be trusted (and they tend to do a pretty good job here in Minnesota).

Gabriel

blackieC
April 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Well have fun, ya bastard.

And throw us a few happy-snaps.

This thread almost makes me want to go dust off my Specialized and go for a ride.

I can see it from here.

It's about twenty feet away.

Fuck it....

Couch comfy....

There will be pics, n'est pas?

emtou2u
April 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
This thread almost makes me want to go dust off my Specialized and go for a ride.

I can see it from here.

It's about twenty feet away.

ah....i miss my Specialized StumpJumper...my first mountain gone tour bike. that baby did 60-75 miles a day with 40 lbs...

the good ole days....bikes are too complicated now...

It's living on the front rack under the Thermarest and the tent poles. I'm bringing two 3 liter reservoirs and a couple of water bottles (which will probably get filled with juice or some variety of sports drink).

sounds perfect. another sweet idea is to fill one of your "juice" containers 1/2 with ice...hmm....

ah...have fun Gabriel...i'm truly envious! :)

Calvin
April 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Wow, sounds like great fun, Gabriel! Be safe!

lebouche
April 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Someone nicked my bike:Sad: a week after I bought it form the bike sheds where I live.

Who was Albert Hoffman? In the calender it says he took a bike ride.

Be safe and have fun:)

Mixerpuppet
April 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Have Fun Gabe...

I gave the ole C-Dale a tire squeeze last night....

Seems me in spandex girdles have something in common with over-inflated bike tires...

My Northwaves still fit...

Grapestomper
April 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Someone nicked my bike:Sad: a week after I bought it form the bike sheds where I live.

Who was Albert Hoffman? In the calender it says he took a bike ride.

Be safe and have fun:)

Albert Hoffman discovered LSD-25.

He was messing about with compounds of lysergic acid, and started to feel a little "funny".

So he got on his bike and rode home...

:icon_eek:
M

G. Hoffman
April 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm all packed, I've got the place cleaned up, and I've got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO!!!!!!!!!

And I can't go back to bed because I need to get used to being awake in the morning (at least, if I want to be on my bike by 7:00 A.M. on Wednesday, which I do).

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I hate waiting for flights.

Actually, I just hate waiting.

But particularly for flights.

I think my normal travel routine is better, because normally I'd be scurrying around all day today getting everything I had been putting off together. Being organized sucks.

On a somewhat related note, I was checking in for my flight last night, and I noticed I did something stupid - I booked my return flight a week early! Oops. So, I called this morning, and they are charging me $60 to change it (eff'en airlines. I mean I could have left it, but I just don't think I could have made a 600 mile bike trip in one week.

Sorry for the diarrhea of the keyboard, but - and I may have mentioned this - I'm fucking bored!

Gabriel

lebouche
April 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Why don't you do a Forest and cycle:) . Yesterday I heard that there is a guy walking from Rome to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage. So far he's made it to Greece.
YOU CAN DO IT GABE!!:Thumbsup:

G. Hoffman
April 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Why don't you do a Forest and cycle:) . Yesterday I heard that there is a guy walking from Rome to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage. So far he's made it to Greece.
YOU CAN DO IT GABE!!:Thumbsup:

Well, I'm at work now for a couple hours, which helps, but I've finished everything here too, so I'm still pretty bored.

I want it to be 9:30!

Gabriel

El Cabron
April 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
good luck, brother.

eddie

Anduin
April 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Sounds excellent!

But I'm sure I've heard of people getting busted and having their bikes confiscated for poaching trails around the Grand Canyon. Be careful!

emtou2u
May 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM
hey....does anyone know how long Gabriel was going to be gone for?

hope he had a great trip and is safe!

-em

Grapestomper
May 21st, 2007, 08:27 AM
hey....does anyone know how long Gabriel was going to be gone for?

hope he had a great trip and is safe!

-em

He said "a little more than two weeks", so he should be back by now...

You back safe, G?

M

G. Hoffman
May 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I'm back and I'm fine, I just haven't spent much time online since I got back.

Yeah, it was a good trip. It turns out I overestimated my daily mileage, so I ended up having to get a car in Prescott, but it was still a great trip and riding through the desert was fantastic. Very Beautiful.

I didn't take many pictures, but I've got a couple here (not a great picture of me, but I was at the end of a 30 mile long climb). The first one is me and my bike at a rest stop by the Hasayampa "river." (I use the quotes because, other than the Colorado, I didn't see a single river that had any actual water in it, which when your from the Land of 10,000 Lakes is a little disconcerting - I guess that's why they call it a desert.) The second one is half way up my first mountain pass (1000 feet in 9 miles - that hurt!) The only real problem with getting the car is I only got one good downhill run (about 1000 feet in 11 miles or so), so I didn't get to do the really great downhill runs I was so looking forward to doing. Everything I did do was just about straight uphill, which was rough. I think that in my first four days, I got about 1 mile of downhill, and maybe 3-4 of level riding, but everything else was at least a 1-2% grade.

After the ride to Prescott, I drove to Flagstaff and stayed based myself out of there for about 5 days. I went to Meteor Crater (a big hole in the ground), Sedona (everyone said it would be so expensive, but it was one of the cheapest days I had there, and the gas was $0.20 a gallon cheaper than in Flagstaff - WTF?), the Lowell Observatory (where they discovered Pluto - very cool), and then the Grand Canyon (another big hole in the ground) for a few days. The Canyon was quite amazing. My first views of it were very pretty and all, but didn't blow me away. I kind of liked the lookout tower, which is where I had those first views. As I went on, hiking and biking through the Canyon (even after I got the car, I rode my bike at least 10-20 miles a day, and some days more), the Canyon itself got better and better with every view until it just blew me away at every glance, but the buildings got more and more boring. The Kolb Studio was pretty cool, but only for the views of the Canyon out every window. I took a whole bunch of pictures of the Canyon, but on viewing them, I can't think of any reason to show them to anyone - they just don't do the place justice at all.

Then on to Las Vegas. I highly recommend NOT spending three days in the Grand Canyon and then going to Las Vegas. Lord but Las Vegas is an ugly city (no offense to those who live there), but seeing it after spending the better part of two weeks in Arizona (beautiful nature everywhere I went), well, the lights suffered. I still won $500 at poker (I like no limit - we can only play limit in the card room in Minnesota), which paid for the car and some, but other than the shows (Penn & Teller and The Blue Man Group), and the one nice restaurant (Bouchon - Thomas Keller's Las Vegas Bistro, and easily the best meal I've ever had in a restaurant), I can't say as that the city had much to recommend it to me. The Canyon was guarantied to let you know just how small your place in the world is; Vegas does everything it can to make you feel that you, of course, deserve anything you want in the whole world. They are just such polar opposites that it felt a little weird going from one to the other. The one real question I had about Vegas was this; is it that the female tourists in Vegas dress like they are members of the Huntington Beach Skankys BECAUSE they are in Vegas, or is it just that the women who WANT to vacation in Vegas are disproportionately inclined to dress as if they want to date a drummer from a hair metal band? Not that I object to cleavage as such, but there are women who really shouldn't be wearing skirts to their crotch and belly shirts with cleavage to their sternum?

Gabriel

MacGregor
May 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Then on to Las Vegas. I highly recommend NOT spending three days in the Grand Canyon and then going to Las Vegas. Lord but Las Vegas is an ugly city

Hehehe, been there, done that (with a nice swim in lake Mead in between).
Vegas is one ugly town during daylight, but it's actually quite cool
when it's dark outside.
But I prefer camping at the Canyon. No lights, bright stars, ...
Wonderful!

Mac

Anduin
May 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm back and I'm fine...

Sounds great! Good summary.

Fulcrum
May 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Welcome back meng, glad you're OK.

Pictures pictures pictures.

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Welcome back meng, glad you're OK.

Pictures pictures pictures.

WTF, I uploaded them, and I THOUGHT I posted them.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2007, 05:28 AM
One more here. This was taken in a little park just outside Phoenix on my first day where I spent my afternoon rest period (my bike computer was telling me it was 101 degrees out, so I decided to stay out of the sun for a while).

The damn thing was a bit on the heavy side.

Gabriel

jerryskid
May 25th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Nice pics, Gabe...glad you had a good trip.....ain't the canyon lovely ?

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
....ain't the canyon lovely ?

It really is.

Gabriel

emtou2u
May 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
hey gabe -
pleeeeeze tell me you didn't accidently drink fuel when you were thirsty or try to light a stove with water??

you know the sun can play tricks on you! :lol:

(nice set-up...looks heavy...ouch...i bet you're pretty psyched with the thigh muscles right now! you've got some nice paniers and equipment going on....i hope it was everything you hoped for!)

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
hey gabe -
pleeeeeze tell me you didn't accidently drink fuel when you were thirsty or try to light a stove with water??

you know the sun can play tricks on you! :lol:

(nice set-up...looks heavy...ouch...i bet you're pretty psyched with the thigh muscles right now! you've got some nice paniers and equipment going on....i hope it was everything you hoped for!)

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

Nope, I didn't drink any fuel. I had my camelbak hose right at the handle bars, so it was much easier to drink from than if I had needed to go for bottles.

I had a great time. Arizona is lovely, and the whole thing was a lot of fun.

As to the thigh muscles, well, I was already pretty happy with them, so yeah, they're looking pretty good. A little freakish, but good.

Gabriel

emtou2u
May 26th, 2007, 01:45 AM
As to the thigh muscles, well, I was already pretty happy with them, so yeah, they're looking pretty good. A little freakish, but good.

Gabriel

:lol: :lol:

Fulcrum
May 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Boy, talk about a picture you just want to walk right into.. That first one is a doozy.

'Course you'd beat my ass thinking I was about to steal your bike. Rest assured I wouldn't be able to budge it.

lebouche
May 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Cool pics Gabe...I always wanted to travel the states on horseback or hire a Harley...or both.
It is not all of us who manage to get off our asses and DO.
Well done:Thumbsup: :)

G. Hoffman
May 27th, 2007, 12:55 AM
'Course you'd beat my ass thinking I was about to steal your bike. Rest assured I wouldn't be able to budge it.

Sure you could, you'd just need to be heading downhill. Trust me, it was REAL easy to move downhill. Also, real fun, real fast, and really fucking scary! (Though all the weight on the front made steering downhill pretty stable, even if it made turning into a world class biceps workout).

Gabriel