PDA

View Full Version : News FLASH!!!! - MSNBC Replaces Imus

Kenny Gioia
April 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Don Imus - Not fit for our free airwaves.

Cho Seung-Hui - Is now syndicated on all news stations 24 hrs a day.

Enjoy the Videos.

Bring on the advertisers.

Johnny
April 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
That's an interesting juxtaposition I hadn't considered.

Fulcrum
April 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Bread and circuses.

Johnny
April 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Imus also got a dramatically increased audience for a couple of days, to be fair.

I was wondering yesterday from whom did Imus learn the term, "ho?" Not exactly common parlance among white liberal cowboys.

Droolbucket
April 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cho Seung-Hui shot 2 people in cold blood. He then had 2 hours to contemplate the legal, moral, emotional and spiritual ramifications of what he'd done. He decided the proper course of action was to shoot scores more innocent people.

He'd obviously been a mis-guided misunderstood soul, failed by society, his cries for help unheeded, his need for counseling and support ignored.

Now, if he'd called his victims "nappy-headed hos", well, that would be EVIL.

Do we have a 'disgusted sarcasm' emoticon?

Droolbucket

rockdart
April 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM
While Imus might be old enough to have named the hills, he still lives in an area of the country that has a lot of diversity and being the 'on top of it' kind of guy that he thinks he is, along with the disposition to want to disrespect and belittle people, I'm sure that even if he'd have only heard it once, he'd have put it in his book of bigotted, racial, misogynistic jingoisms.

Kenny Gioia
April 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
While I appreciate the continued Imus conversation, the point I was trying to make was how we have a new anti-hero.

One of the only positive things about these school shootings is that the shooter kills himself in the final act. Thus sparing us from the 2 years of trial coverage and putting focus where it actually belongs. On the victims.

This psycho was just a "Broken Toy".

No need to study him.

No need to figure out what "we" did wrong. What "we" could have done.

All classes had the introverted scary guy. I would guess that this forum is filled with them.

This guy was one in a billion. There was, and will never be any signs of that.

Let's focus on the innocent and stop immortalizing this weirdo.

The video had no reason to be released, let alone being played non-stop on the "so-called" news.

I personally will never watch his videos. He wanted me to see them, and the only power I have is to not give him my attention.

Peace.

rockdart
April 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with you 100% here. Continuing to flash this guy's face on the TV only reinforces another whacko's mind that this is a way for him to affect society.

Showing the victims put the real human face on all of this and shows why it's so deplorable.

I don't even think they should mention the shooters name.

The unfortunate thing to come out of this will be all the knee-jerk reactionary laws that will be created - without understanding that a guy who wants to kill people will find a way to do it. Don't have a gun? Use a car. Don't have a car? knives, bats ... whatever.

A person hell bent on killing people is going to find a way. It doesn't matter how much you inconvience the people who would never do that, the killer will find a way to fullfil his goal.

Goes211
April 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Seen from across the pond, the horror is unbearable.

Does it strike anyone else as complete and utter lack of common sense that this guy, known by the police, detained in a psychiatric institution as "a danger to himself and to others" still clears a background check 2 weeks ago to buy a gun ?
What kind of background check is that ?
And how about the fucking hypocrisy of the guy who owns the gun store whose statement is "I'm sorry he bought the gun here".
But then, from across the pond, the whole gun thing comes across as a lack of common sense.

I'm not a religious person, but these poor victims and their families have been in my thoughts A LOT these days.
:Sad:

Revenger
April 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I agree with you 100% here. Continuing to flash this guy's face on the TV only reinforces another whacko's mind that this is a way for him to affect society.

Showing the victims put the real human face on all of this and shows why it's so deplorable.

I don't even think they should mention the shooters name.

The unfortunate thing to come out of this will be all the knee-jerk reactionary laws that will be created - without understanding that a guy who wants to kill people will find a way to do it. Don't have a gun? Use a car. Don't have a car? knives, bats ... whatever.

A person hell bent on killing people is going to find a way. It doesn't matter how much you inconvience the people who would never do that, the killer will find a way to fullfil his goal.

Great point!!!!

A few weeks after 9-11 I found myself at Yankee stadium watching a playoff game.

I was front row, right by the Right fielder. There were cops all over the place and scattered around the fences.

I felt my pocket and realized I had a small pocket knife in my possesion. An engraved wedding gift (for being in their wedding party) from a friend.

I was able to time out with 100% certainty that I could hop the fence, run toward the outfield, and drive that knife right through Ichiro Suzuki's throat, killing him pretty damn quick.

The only thing that stopped me was that I have no desire.

It was not preventable.

DaveC
April 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I agree with you 100% here. The unfortunate thing to come out of this will be all the knee-jerk reactionary laws that will be created - without understanding that a guy who wants to kill people will find a way to do it. Don't have a gun? Use a car. Don't have a car? knives, bats ... whatever.

This is absolutely true. We have nutters in the UK too, and they go on sprees. Getting guns is possible, but not easy, so nutters tend not to use guns here. They use knives, samuri swords and hammers. Sometimes a car. They often kill 2 or maybe 3 people in their spree before being apprehended or killing themselves.

Fulcrum
April 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Seen from across the pond, the horror is unbearable.

Does it strike anyone else as complete and utter lack of common sense that this guy, known by the police, detained in a psychiatric institution as "a danger to himself and to others" still clears a background check 2 weeks ago to buy a gun ?
What kind of background check is that ?
And how about the fucking hypocrisy of the guy who owns the gun store whose statement is "I'm sorry he bought the gun here".
But then, from across the pond, the whole gun thing comes across as a lack of common sense.

Arianna Huffington has been thinking about the gun thing too. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/virginia-tech-aftermath-_b_46280.html)

And also about the thing Seeker mentions in the other thread-- prescription drugs and their role in the psyche of the gunman.

Goes211
April 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Arianna Huffington has been thinking about the gun thing too. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/virginia-tech-aftermath-_b_46280.html)

And also about the thing Seeker mentions in the other thread-- prescription drugs and their role in the psyche of the gunman.

Thanks for that. Scary, but very interesting.

weedywet
April 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM
meanwhile:

Bloomberg To Fund Anti-Gun Ad Campaign
TV Blitz Begins Sunday In N.Y., D.C., Among Others

(CBS) JERSEY CITY, N.J. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a coalition of 214 mayors are using the Virginia Tech massacre to pressure Congress to give local cops the information they need to trace illegal guns used in crimes.

CBS 2 has also learned that they're also launching a TV ad campaign starting Sunday.

"We're fighting criminals and illegal guns. Why is Congress fighting us?" Bloomberg said Wednesday.

The ads will start running in four days in New York, Washington and the congressional districts of key gun advocates.

"I donít want my officers to have their hands tied when it comes to having to deal with the issue of illegal guns for criminals," Bloomberg said.

The ads are funded by Bloomberg, who said he will personally spend whatever it takes to stop a bill that would allow the feds to withhold crucial information on illegal guns needed by local cops.

"In terms of how much money to spend I don't know," Bloomberg said. "The last time I was on a campaign I spent $85 million."

Bloomberg said the Virginia Tech massacre that resulted in 33 deaths should get everyone behind his illegal gun crusade.

"Every day 30 Americans are murdered," he said. "If one day is cause for you to think, what about 365 days?"

Carole Stiller is with the Million Mom March, a group with members who have lost loved ones to gun violence. She said she doesnít think the Virginia Tech shooter should have had the right to get a gun.

"Because he wanted it and it was his right to have it," Stiller said. "Well, it's our right and it was the 32 other people's rights to not have someone come on campus and shoot them."

The Virginia Tech shooting also reverberated in the presidential race. Trying to woo conservatives, the formerly anti-gun Rudy Giuliani said he supports the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

But Democrats Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Barack Obama steered clear of the issue, saying only that the massacre was a tragedy.

Immanuel
April 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
This is absolutely true. We have nutters in the UK too, and they go on sprees. Getting guns is possible, but not easy, so nutters tend not to use guns here. They use knives, samuri swords and hammers. Sometimes a car. They often kill 2 or maybe 3 people in their spree before being apprehended or killing themselves.

2 or 3 still often being far less than if these had available hand guns.

Another problem with having legal guns is, that the mad man will usually get to kill atleast one person, before someone else stops him. Now, if he had to do this in a more manual way, he might not get that far.

Yet another problem with legal weapons. Fight that othervice might end with bruisers easilly end up with severe permanent damage/death, when people have weapons available for "defense".

And then there is the sad costs of saving money on psychiatry. In Denmark we also see a huge increase in crime commited by mentally ill people. This goes hand in hand with years of cut downs on the psychiatric system. Today a lot of psychiatrist say, that the system does not keep people long enough to cure them. They let them out, when the worst symptoms are cured ... 'cause there are many more waiting in line. It is quantity over quality, and it is not healthy to the ill people nor to the rest of us.

rockdart
April 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Is managing to exceptions really the best way?

I think most of our bad laws that we have today are the results of knee-jerk reactions.

I'd prefer that if we're going to revisit the gun laws in this country, we do it without the largese of an emotional event being the proxy host of the round-table meeting.

As with the Imus thing, we're now seeing people with positions jockeying to use an isolated incident as leverage for their pet project.

Imus is not a rapper.
The V Tech shooter is not a hunter/sportsman/responsible gun owner.

But even further... neither are the surrogate father of Big Brother, nor the artists with a brush big enough to paint the whole country and it's nuances in one bold stroke of sameness.

Johnny
April 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
There's an underreported story of the teacher who brought the massacre to an end.

Worth looking for.

Aardvark
April 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I agree that the climate is too charged right now to have a rational debate on gun control. It is a complex issue that needs comprehensive and well considered legislation regardless of what the legislation reads.

In the meantime, these killings in Virginia have hogged the American News and the massive security breaches and subsequent loss of almost two hundred citizens in Baghdad yesterday goes with little notice.

Mr. Bush jr's last gasp plan is failing miserably and his fellow Americans are too busy with the tragedy in Virginia to be affected by the tragedy in Iraq...where everybody seems to have a gun or a bomb and is busy killing each other under the guise of defending themselves against whoever they feel is threatening them.

Perfect.

:Sad::Sad:

Kenny Gioia
April 20th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Yeah. But she disproves her theory by stating this disturbing figure.

Despite disturbing evidence of drug-induced reactions, the number of children being given mood-altering drugs continues to soar. America now has over 8 million kids on such drugs.

I'd say a dozen or so out of 8 million ain't that badd.

Kenny Gioia
April 20th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I've always kinda favored the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" theory.

Although that theory gets torn apart in at least 2 instances:

1. When a kid gets a hold of Daddy's gun and accidently blows his or his sister's head off.

2. When a pussy like this VT killer gets to kill 30 people from point blank range.

There's no way that this guy can do this much damage without a gun.

cozmicslop
April 20th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I've always kinda favored the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" theory.

Although that theory gets torn apart in at least 2 instances:

1. When a kid gets a hold of Daddy's gun and accidently blows his or his sister's head off.

2. When a pussy like this VT killer gets to kill 30 people from point blank range.

There's no way that this guy can do this much damage without a gun.
I don't know if irony is the word I'm looking for...

Hey you! With the sniper kitty avatar?
Ever felt like squeezin a few off?

j/k

Love you man, not in that way, but still...

Kenny Gioia
April 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
[sarcasm]

In a gutsy move, NBC promises to cut back on some of the "Hero's" show promotion.

NBC is getting it both ways. Big ratings and looking responsible by pulling it after flooding the world with it.

You fucking douches!!!!!!

MSNBC's new Killer Lineup!!!!!!!

Starring Cho Seung-Hui.

http://womb.mixerman.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2048&stc=1&d=1177079347

Bob Olhsson
April 20th, 2007, 08:34 PM
We're really talking about having the right to own guns that can be hidden on your person. It's perfectly legal to carry a shotgun.