PDA

View Full Version : ...But How's the Mix?

Unfcknblvbl
April 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070419/sc_space/sunsatmospheresings

Astronomers have recorded heavenly music bellowed out by the Sun's atmosphere.

Snagging orchestra seats for this solar symphony would be fruitless, however, as the frequency of the sound waves is below the human hearing threshold. While humans can make out sounds between 20 and 20,000 hertz, the solar sound waves are on the order of milli-hertz--a thousandth of a hertz.

The study, presented this week at the Royal Astronomical Society's National Astronomy Meeting in Lancashire, England, reveals that the looping magnetic fields along the Sun's outer regions, called the corona, carry magnetic sound waves in a similar manner to musical instruments such as guitars or pipe organs.

Making music

Robertus von Fay-Siebenburgen of the Solar Physics and Space Plasma Research Center at the University of Sheffield and his colleagues combined information gleaned from sun-orbiting satellites with theoretical models of solar processes, such as coronal mass ejections.

They found that explosive events at the Sun's surface appear to trigger acoustic waves that bounce back and forth between both ends of the loops, a phenomenon known as a standing wave.

---------------------------------

Robertus von Fay-Siebenburgen = Hans Ringer?

I wonder if the mix has dynamics or if it's too loud...

CurtZHP
April 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I just knew God was a bass player!

:Coolio:

FajitaTone
April 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
so if they multiply the frequencies by phi wouldn't we get into the threshold of hearing? and thus "hear" what the sun is playing?

I know there's a number that you use to get from one note to the next, I just don't remember what it is. So pardon my ignorance.

EDIT: Found it! 12th root of 2 or 1.05946309

Fulcrum
April 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
This sounds suspiciously like stuff Dr Fiorella Terenzi (http://www.fiorella.com/fiorproducts.htm) has been doing since the 1980s at least.

Proof positive that there is nothing new under the sun, or beyond it, either.

dnafe
April 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I just knew God was a bass player!

:Coolio:

actually he's just subbing

:lol: