PDA

View Full Version : Slippy, SBG, Fulcrum... NE Flooding

nobby
April 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
I trust you guys didn't get washed away by the Nor'easter of '07.

I know a bunch of people got walloped. I think NJ was designated a Nat'l Disaster area. Western CT & NY were hit hard also. the NYT showed a pic of a gift shop or something that was floating down a river in the Westchester area.

Central park and La Guardia got 7" of rain. I think 19 dead in the region. Billions in damage. American billions with 9 '0's.

blackieC
April 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Dang.

Hope y'all northeastern folks are okay.

I have been through a flood or two and I know it's no picnic.

Sign in chaps and chapettes.

If by some chance you didn't make it through, then the best I can offer is a welcome space in either the front or back seat of a funny smelling '68 Caddy in my carport.

And by "funny" I don't mean "ha-ha" funny.

There is nothing "funny" about Mother Nature with her panties in a twist.

So y'all okay up there or what?

jstuart
April 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Ah, no electricity for 3 days, a bit o' h2o in the cellar. a few trees down, cooking meals on the woodstove: romantic the first day: bites the choad after that: threw away a fridge full of food: completely F'd up my work schedule.... my neighbor's house burnt down when the power came on-they're off at work and something on the stove catches fire...., sucks for them, but no one hurt, we're pitchng in to cook and help out, but other than that, all's OK...

Nobby, thought about you- you're just a toss away from the 'lantic, eh? you OK?

it's 75 degrees and beautifull today... go figgur....
J

Fulcrum
April 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM
Thanks for asking Nobby, I trust that since you're asking that you have power and managed to evade a lot of the wrath?

We managed to weather the storm here in central CT without too much ado-- didn't even have any weeping cinderblocks in the basement, which shocked the hell out of me as we live in a valley between two hills. Our street resembled that scene in The Ten Commandments where Charlton Heston brings the Red Sea back together again just before Yul Brynner catches up to the Israelites.

It was very grey and rainy and we were quite depressed, coming as it did on the heels of about a month of significantly below-average and rather un-springlike temperatures and high winds. Though perhaps we were not as depressed as we would have been if we were up in the section of New England where Calvin, dwoz, or even jstuart are (horrible break for your neighbors j, will keep them in my prayers), and got buried with snow instead of merely pissed on with rain.

My parents on the other hand got about 3/8" of an inch of water in their sizable basement when the river that borders their property swallowed the 2/3 acre of back yard and destroyed what remains of the picket fence and the stone wall that keeps the river away.

The river has retreated, but the town is disavowing any responsibility for repairing the wall even in the interest of protecting people downstream, probably because my parents are only the second or third house in from the town line and whatever happens on the river after them is the problem of the City of Bridgeport.

Kenny Gioia
April 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
I think NJ was designated a Nat'l Disaster area.

Yes, but that was in the early 1970's.

Unfortunately no one can figure out a reason to change it back.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

http://newyorkette.com/wp-content/ismellnj.jpg

http://static.last.fm/groupavatar/39e1f644266dd045333356f6dac3a575.jpg