PDA

View Full Version : It's about time someone noticed...

crunch
April 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Really.

It's about time someone noticed.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/60924

Not that I want them to go away... Just get back to basics...

gabby garcia
April 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
"You wouldn't think that people still buy enough strobe lights and extension cords to support an entire nationwide chain, but I guess they must, or I wouldn't have this desk to sit behind all day."

"Every location is full of bizarre adapters, random chargers, and old boom boxes, and some sales guy is constantly hovering over you. It's like walking into your grandpa's basement. You always expect to see something cool, but it never delivers."

:lol::lol:

CurtZHP
April 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
I especially enjoy walking in and telling the zit-faced youth behind the counter what I'm looking for (usually some mundane electronic component) and getting the "deer-in-the-headlights" look.

RS Clerk: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Yeah, I need a 5532 op amp."
RS Clerk: "Uhhhhh......" (Starts looking like Pro Tools in the middle of a DAE error.)

The last time I was in one, they didn't even have radios in the store!

jerryskid
April 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I used to buy batteries from Radio Shack all the time..and I always wondered why they always wanted my address....Maybe they're stalking me????

Fulcrum
April 23rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I used to buy batteries from Radio Shack all the time..and I always wondered why they always wanted my address....Maybe they're stalking me????

"Do you need any batteries today" is the Rat Shack equivalent of "Would you like fries with that?" at Mickey D's. I know because when I worked for RS I was exhorted to push batteries non-stop.

They no longer ask for your name and address by the way. That's because they already have it.

sqkychair
April 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Bizarre..

I was just thinking exactly the same thing not two days ago.

Who the hell buys anything there?

I learned my lesson a long time ago that the components you buy there are going to let you down. Badly.

I actually still buy a cassette or two now and then, but not from Rat Shack.
That @#&! oxide shedding formula they use is the worst of all time.

Kenny Gioia
April 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Despite this cheerful boosterism, Day admitted that nothing has changed during his tenure and he doesn't exactly know what he can do to improve the chain.

"I'd like to capitalize on the store's strong points, but I honestly don't know what they are," Day said.

This may be the single most bizarre article I've ever read.

What exactly gives this guy comfort in his job security?

I love RadioShack in a purely geeky way. I never buy anything there that most stores carry (DVD players, Cell phones) but I still spend my $2.99 a month for an odd adapter, battery or fuse.

Every time I go there I seem to piss off the sales people for some reason. Only recently I realized why. They get reviewed for customer to dollar amount purchased, constantly. So my $1.49 kills that ratio. They'd rather I didn't walk in the store at all.

So my next plan is to stop by the day workers area and pick up 12 guys and bring them into Radio shack while I buy some double AA's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

st robert
April 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
the only reason i have been in there in the last 5 years at all was to buy tiny, tiny 12 volt lights to solder into the internal switchgear on a couple old saabs. $1.79 at a time.

that'll show 'em.

if they only had a '91 900s exhaust i'd call them perfect.

rob

Spock
April 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
I remember pulling tubes out of a radio or TV I was fixing getting on my bike and going the local RS to run them in the tube tester, and maybe pick up a new tube if one was bad.

If you needed some part quickly they had it. Of course a pack of 1N914 diodes or 2N2222A transistors was a good find, kind of the SM57 of semiconductors.

ggunn
April 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
This may be the single most bizarre article I've ever read.

You did notice that it was the Onion, didn't you?

Kenny Gioia
April 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
You did notice that it was the Onion, didn't you?

Yeah. I've heard of The Onion before but never really went there or knew that it doesn't try to do real stories til now. oops.

eagan
April 23rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
It's a little sad that you have to be one of us middle-aged old farts to actually remember that they were at least an occasionally semi useful electronics store, once upon a time.

Even then, they were never great. But they had their good points sometimes, mostly, it seemed, along the Allied Radio side of things. Like they used to have serious radio sections; you could actually go in there and find a serious shortwave receiver, for example. You could actually go in with a list looking to gather parts for a homebuilt project of some sort and find a goog chunk of the stuff.

In recent years, well, actually, for a LONG TIME now, it's come to where I can almost guarantee if I walk into one of their stores, the chances of encountering a pushy sales droid who actually knows anything at all about, you know, electronics, are around nil.

They really do suck, and only occasionally there's a reason to go there and they redeem themselves just a tiny bit, but even then it's usually "yeah, they suck, but that's all there is around here for <insert needed widget of the moment>".

A long time ago, back in yon olden days of yore, I worked for a Lafayette Radio store for a while when I was a student. Those guys were more like what that kind of store should be. But that's history.

Alright, now I'm getting the urge to drive to a local Radio Shack and start grilling whichever pushy salesman jumps me about their Monster Cable stuff.

JLE

jerryskid
April 24th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Radio Shack only exists today by selling cell phone networks and satellite television.....any fool who buys a Tandy product deserves what he buys.........They're still handy for a cable splitter or a plug or something, but not very often.....

CurtZHP
April 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I lived in western NC a few years ago and worked at a local radio station, doing production work and helping in the engineering department.

I asked the engineer where we got parts and supplies, and he mentioned all the big mail-order outfits like Mouser and Digi-key. I pressed him further about what we do in a pinch, remembering that previous employers usually had accounts with a local industrial electronics supplier.

He said, "We have an account with the Radio Shack down the road."

I knew then and there I had to get out of western NC.

(In his defense, the engineer was visibly embarrassed to tell me that.)