View Full Version : Time to Break Out the Cassettes

jerryskid
April 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Ohio University limits students' use of file-sharing programs

ATHENS, Ohio (AP) _ Ohio University is cracking down on student
music-file sharing.
O-U will restrict student use of peer-to-peer file sharing
programs on its campus computer network. This comes amid a
crackdown on illegal sharing by the music recording industry.
Beginning tomorrow, O-U will monitor its network and disconnect
internet access for computers running peer-to-peer software.
Students flagged for running such programs will be disconnected
from the school's network until they agree to obey file-sharing
laws

Wow...has this been done at other schools?....:Roll eyes:

Tim Armstrong
April 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/downloading.jpg

Cheers, Tim

bunnerabb
April 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
What are the odds that any of those kids know how to actually patch a cassette deck into their sound card?

I mean.. no way they could get it off the radio. Music comes from computers.

:Confused: :Roll eyes: :lol:

vocalnick
April 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm honestly surprised this is news. A friend of mine who was high up in the IT department of UTAS was telling me that they've been blocking P2P software for some years now.

dwoz
April 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM
so the p2p proggies will just say "fuck it" and move all their traffic to port 80. bam.

dwoz

pounce
April 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM
yes, this is happening at other places as well.

shouldn't teachers, parents, and adults in general be telling kids to not do that?

they can buy all the downloads they want, but the p2p stealing is childish nonsense and i think this sends the message better than riaa lawsuits after the fact. make the kids realize that it's not a free and fully accepted thing to do. i like this a lot. i greatly prefer it to the lawsuit tactic. if kids are going to break the law with their computers, than i prefer that they at least acknowledge that they are breaking the law and have it be made a -little- more difficult to do so. everyone letting it happen and doing nothing sent the wrong message all along.

Spock
April 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM
The blocking of this is not too hard to do.

People make network boxes that watch everything and if they see something they don't like they send a reset packet to both machines. China has been doing for some time with web access from within China.

And like Dwoz said watch them all move to port 80. However.....

Just happened to me 2 days ago. A co-worker says, "Hey do you know what Skype is?"

"Sure do. I've used it at home a lot in the past few days. Why?"

It seems that one of these little network "rat on everything" boxes "saw" what it thought was a Skype packet on our internal network going to one of the machines I help take care of.

To this I said BS, the report said it was going to port 22 (ssh) and was only one TCP packet. Again BS, Skype would send more than one, uses UDP and doesn't touch port 22. Also Skype doesn't have a version for HP-UX.

So now our security team wants us to prove that we don't have Skype on our server. Saying the "rat on everything" box got confused by just some random data is not the answer they want to hear.

vanblah
April 27th, 2007, 04:30 AM
so the p2p proggies will just say "fuck it" and move all their traffic to port 80. bam.

dwoz

They already do.

And then the school (or whatever) buys a $20,000 packet shaper (Packeteer). This device examines EVERY SINGLE packet that goes across the network and drops those that fit the P2P protocol. Doesn't matter what port the software uses.

We have one at the school I am the sys admin for.

I don't really agree with it, and actually spoke out against it. Unfortunately, the P2P users use up all of the bandwidth which makes it difficult for "legitimate" users of the network. I couldn't really argue against that.

This was a serious problem at the school a few years ago. Not so much now since we have a 45MB pipe to the internet ... but we still have the Packeteer.

Pimp-X
April 27th, 2007, 04:39 AM
So now our security team wants us to prove that we don't have Skype on our server. Saying the "rat on everything" box got confused by just some random data is not the answer they want to hear.

Systemic flaw in clueless network muppets worldwide.

ckerian
April 29th, 2007, 03:55 AM
I think...

if you dont want your music distributed on the internet then dont put it on the internet.

Labels, artists, and distributers need to continue to adapt the new 21st centurt model or music production and distribution.

and if you dont like it then put your music out on cassette.

They need to get over it and thank Apple for keeping their sorry asses from losing everything. I have bought itunes songs on whim. I have never downloaded an mp3 from an internet site in my life.

Metallica was SMART. They said "ok you wanna download our music for free? here's some shit songs recorded and mixed even shitter."

Music is not even worth paying for anymore. every purchase i have ever made in this 'digital age' was already of a classic I have probably owned a record and cassette of made 20+ years ago, with the exception of a few Pearl Jam albums. Wait... that was 20 year ago.

Fuck Nicklecreed20 and the rest of this kelly clarkson/gwynn stephani/christina aguilara bubble gum and cookie cut trash. My next purchase will be of a CD, maybe even a DVD of the new Rush album.

and i re-fucking-fuse to purchase it at walmart/k-mart/target, starbucks.

Fuck the coporate music industry for putting out shit and spending more money on videos than the records themselves for the same old repackaged artists time and time again.

Has anyone seen the movie Idiocricy yet? The same thing is happening with music. Musicians are getting SHITTIER. Kids arent learning the classics. same old drop-d shit every guitar player is learning these days. Same problem with engineering. ... ALL engineering.. electrical, audio, structural, mechanical, civil, and aeronautical. All an engineer is these days is a computer operator.

My point is music is getting lamer because young musicians suck and listeners are sheople and people are getting dumber.

/rant