PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Wonder appreciation thread.

MacGregor
April 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Just stumbled over this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4SCZv7786KY

Last time I've seen someone having THAT much fun beating the
skins his name was Keith and he's not amongst us anymore.

Man, what a musician.

Mac

Goes211
April 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Stevie Wonder.
spelled T.A.L.E.N.T.

Aardvark
April 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
1972-75...He put together the kind of musical body of work few, if any, could possibly ever rival. He was just a kid still at the the time and he played most of the instruments on a number of these tracks. Four straight brilliant records...flat out genius no questions asked...period.

His fall to pablum flavoured pap is so spectacular because of the much, much higher ground he camped on for those productive years.

I would have preferred to see him disappear altogether than soil his reputation with the vile crap he has been serving for the last thirty years...

HOW CAN THIS BE THE SAME GUY!!!!

He went from "Living for the City" to "I just called..." and since then the world of pop music has lost one of it's grandest talents.

Cheers,
Aardvark

P.S. I love Jeff Becks live "Secret Policeman's other Ball" version of "Cause we've ended as Lovers".

:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

bunnerabb
April 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I still remember walking over the Brooklyn bridge with my little transistor radio and "I Was Made To Love Her" would come blasting out. I had it plastered to my ear and was just DANCIN' over that fucking bridge, man.

My big sister and my cousin... Cindy trying to teach my how to dance...

Hot summer days and Stevie and Motown on the AM.

That was the shit, y'all.

MacGregor
April 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
P.S. I love Jeff Becks live "Secret Policeman's other Ball" version of "Cause we've ended as Lovers".

:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

YES :Thumbsup: : J.B. plays S.W. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3H1XDswBBA)

Fulcrum
April 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Back in the 70s there was no one mixing up the pazz and jop, not to mention bringing the funk, the way Mr Stevland Morris did-- it was easy as breathing for him. Steely Dan were approaching it from a different direction, but they could never get close to anything as visceral or eviscerating as Superstition or Living For The City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYUSdX-Rps).

Even when he started to get all airy-fairy along about Songs In The Key Of Life and Secret Life Of Plants, there was still a strong Ellington component in his music-- the subject matter of, say, Send One Your Love might have been twee but the music was carefully crafted. And then there's him blowing the harp....

Goes211
April 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Songs in the key of life : from the opening choir of "Love's in need of love today" to the last note of the bonus single (spot the geeks) "Ebony eyes"...
It's a fucking masterpiece.
I still own two vinyl copies.

FajitaTone
April 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I can't find the you tube video of stevie wonder playing all the instruments on superstitious.

VERY cool

I love the chorus girls in Master blaster:

"in the middle of the night you hear the master blaster jammin"

MatsonMusicBox
April 26th, 2007, 02:58 PM
One of the best ever - great stuff in the 70's - did get a little weenie'ish later on - seems to some with getting older.

Superstition still favorite clav ever.

J.G.
April 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Beyond words, that old stuff of Stevie's is...

He's a cosmic gift, plain and simple.

: J

TSTW
April 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I've enjoyed the latest album tremendously. I'm not going to start comparing it to his earlier stuff for i'm sure i'll be roasted, but enjoyed it i have!

Aardvark
April 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM
YES :Thumbsup: : J.B. plays S.W. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3H1XDswBBA)

Pretty good for a guy who is notorious for not playing much...too busy working on car engines I am told.

Cheers,
Aardvark

sqkychair
April 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I have always been impressed by the fact that he wrote the music for Tears of a Clown.

Sir Duke intro is the one and only song I ever learned to play on the trumpet. I gave it up after that.

Speaking of Jeff Beck, did anybody catch him on Idol last night?
Wasn't his best stuff, but it was nice to see him play.

MacGregor
April 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I can't find the you tube video of stevie wonder playing all the instruments on superstitious.

VERY cool

I love the chorus girls in Master blaster:

"in the middle of the night you hear the master blaster jammin"

It's not superstition, but you meant probably this
one: Synthi Stevie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuaSzFf7yq0&eurl=)

(fun starts at about 2:30)

Mac

jerryskid
April 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
When Paul Simon won the Grammy for Best Album he thanked "Stevie Wonder, for not making an album this year!"....

nuff said.......

lebouche
April 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Stevie is modern times Mozart....except he can prob wipe the floor with him performance wise. I think he's the greatest all rounder in music history.

Pancho Ballard
April 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I like I Just Called...

There, I've said it. It's a good pop song and deserved it's Number One status. It's only because it's not as good as Stevie's best work that it gets slagged but if anyone else had written I doubt they'd have got as much stick.

lebouche
April 26th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Ok so I'm just spending the night watching Stevie vids...
U seen this one? Gilberto n Stevie so chilled...like a home vid.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aGW2pVPUBGs&mode=related&search=

PRobb
April 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
1972-75...He put together the kind of musical body of work few, if any, could possibly ever rival. He was just a kid still at the the time and he played most of the instruments on a number of these tracks. Four straight brilliant records...flat out genius no questions asked...period.

Yup. He had a four album run as great as anybody ever.

Azraphael
April 27th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Stevie Wonder's rendition of Blowin' In The Wind in the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert is astounding.

If you haven't checked out, I strongly recommend it.

Cheers,

Dave

Joel DuBay
April 27th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Stevie's "Songs in the Key of Life" changed me from a white guy to a white guy with an appreciation of songs rooted in black culture and helped me to understand that you just might be able to see more without sight.

Stevie, and all of the music of that genre are rooted in me and I still gravitate toward that music which was so natural, so energetic and emphatic about getting your butt out of the chair and onto a new groove in those cuts.

WORD.

Joel DuBay
www.readyacoustics.com

jerryskid
April 27th, 2007, 05:50 AM
it is boring, and unoriginal.

From a comment post on the youtube vid.....what an idiot!!

Scratchy Potts
April 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Stevie's "Songs in the Key of Life" changed me from a white guy to a white guy with an appreciation of songs rooted in black culture and helped me to understand that you just might be able to see more without sight.

Stevie, and all of the music of that genre are rooted in me and I still gravitate toward that music which was so natural, so energetic and emphatic about getting your butt out of the chair and onto a new groove in those cuts.

WORD.

Joel DuBay
www.readyacoustics.com

Yea mon!! me too...:Thumbsup:

Bob Olhsson
April 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Watching the documentary about Songs in the Key of Life was a huge shock. I had never fully comprehended how much working with Stevie on some of his first productions had influenced my career and really my entire life.

Stevie was among the very first to make what I now call Erector Set productions that were more than just some kind of a novelty. It was the perfect vehicle for him because he had an encyclopedic knowledge of American musicians, singers and songwriters by the time he was 19. He knew exactly who he wanted performing every part on his records and proceeded to demonstrate what that would sound like. He had also worked with some of the top songwriters and producers in the world on his earlier records. He stands proudly on the shoulders of the people who made American music important to the world. It has been my great frustration that so many in the industry went off into imitating Stevie instead of doing their homework the way he did and building on the American music tradition. I've never met anybody who worked as hard as Stevie Wonder did.

lebouche
April 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM
It has been my great frustration that so many in the industry went off into imitating Stevie instead of doing their homework the way he did and building on the American music tradition. I've never met anybody who worked as hard as Stevie Wonder did.

Funny you should say that Bob. During a walk this morning I was thinking about how I would like to improve my understanding of rhythms and to train my ear to recognise keys a little better....I wanted to make sure I have these things down because I was hired last week to be the musical Director for some amatures who are going to perform in a few months time at the Albert Hall. It dawned on me that I wish I had had the desire/thirst for knowledge I have now when I was younger. I have always known success is built upon a solid foundation of serious graft.

It's nice to hear Stevie worked for it...I was thinking about his work ethic on this walk and thinking that he probably doesn't consider it work.