PDA

View Full Version : To the Swedes of the Womb...

Pancho Ballard
April 29th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'm going to Gothenburg in July; can any of you Swedes with experience of the place tell me where to go to see good bands?

And while I'm on the subject, why is Sweden such a great place for classy guitar pop?

Barska
April 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM
And while I'm on the subject, why is Sweden such a great place for classy guitar pop?

Well, because Finland is so close by... :)

BTW. For what I know, Gothenburg is known for local, pretty big time, death metal acts. The sound is even known as Gothenburg sound.Evil!

Pancho Ballard
April 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Death metal?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be very disappointed if I don't see at least one extremely good power-pop band. I'm also looking forward to buying ABBA's Arrival with a Swedish cover.

otek
May 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Gothenburg is known for local, pretty big time, death metal acts. The sound is even known as Gothenburg sound.Evil!

Hmmmm.

I'd like to shed some light on this topic.

First off, Gothenburg is known for some pretty big metal acts, but it's no longer exclusively death metal. The "Gothenburg sound" is nevertheless about heavy music, but the definition has broadened, and the music nowadays often features mixed growl- and melodic vocals, keyboards, as well as loops and electronica. It actually approaches a lot of harder American alternative bands sonically.

For examples, check out bands like Soilwork and Opeth.

Ok, to the real question:

Where to go and see good live music in Gothenburg?

Well..... It should be said that July is usually not the busiest time for live gigs in Sweden. In August, there are several big events like the Gothenburg Jazz Festival and Kulturkalaset, but it's a bit thinner in July. Nevertheless:

For Jazz, there is Nefertiti (http://www.europejazz.net/promo/nefertiti.htm) which is a very cozy jazz club with a great kitchen and world class acts.

Places like Kåren, Sticky Fingers and Dojan usually has some music happening.

On July 1st, it's the Pier Pressure festival (http://www.pierpressure.se/) in Frihamnen, Göteborg. Also, Bo Kaspers Orkester (a great jazz/pop band) at Trädgårdsföreningen.

July 2nd, Per Gessle of Roxette plays at Slottskogsvallen. It doesn't get much more "Swedish pop" than that. :D

None of the big Swedish "power pop" bands like The Hives or Soundtrack Of Our Lives appear to be gigging in Gothenburg in July (though The Hives will do so in August), but you should check their websites periodically for info. Blindside will be at the Pier Pressure festival.

If none of this appears tempting, you could always hop on a bullet train and go to Stockholm, where you will have more options. :D

Pancho Ballard
May 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
July 2nd, Per Gessle of Roxette plays at Slottskogsvallen. It doesn't get much more "Swedish pop" than that. :D

Otek, you are awesome. I can't fucking wait now. Sweden here we come! :grin:

otek
May 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
You may wanna get tickets PRONTO.

This guy is still popular.......