PDA

View Full Version : Most sublime

SaltyDog
April 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Looking back on many years of listening to music, there's one piece that does it to me; the Presto from JSB's Brandenburg #4. A feeling of WOW, a feeling that THIS is the essence of music. Stupid poll I realize 'cause it's personal, but what's yours?

bunnerabb
April 30th, 2007, 07:52 AM
For classical, the Pastoral. It's not spring until I hear that.

I watch The Wall about once a year and Peter Gabriel's Secret World is pretty much tearing my head off, atm.

It has a lot to do with whom I'm in love with.

ggunn
April 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
For me, one of those is the part in "The Fool" on Quicksilver Messenger Service's first album when Cippolina kicks on the wah pedal. Of course, part of the reason it affects me so strongly is, um, situational.

But to this day, Cippolina's use of the wah in that song is IMO a real standout performance, and the piece itself is classic.

Fulcrum
May 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Jeeze Gordon, you are old aincha? 'Course I remember it too....

Too many to mention... the section of Phase Dance by Pat Metheny Group after Lyle's solo... listen to the version from Travels for the full effect and see if you don't just break out crying like I did the first time I heard it.

Somewhere in the middle of Branford Marsalis' solo in Children's Crusade from Sting's Dream Of The Blue Turtles album, Darrell Jones switches on an octave divider and suddenly the bass is an immense abyss, just as Branford is hitting a new stride in his solo and Omar Hakim is playing at least five different rhythms with his four limbs.... And Kenny Kirkland is holding down one chord with the filter opening and opening and opening.

For me it's not May till I hear The Geese And The Ghost by Anthony Phillips, so I'm going to go and listen to that now.