PDA

View Full Version : PC troubleshoot Q (sorry if wrong place to post it)

meLoCo_go
May 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
I've been asked to help to troubleshoot a PC after WinXP crash. It seemed that the hardware was OK, and I run WinXP installation in repair mode. It went OK and all the progs run and settings restored but there is a problem with the soundcard. It is Genius Sound Maker Value 5.1, XP seem to recognize it and there is InstallCD for it, but nomatter what I do, it does not appear as a device I can play sound in Sound and Multimedia tab in Control Panel. There are some shared IRQs but changing slots doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Fulcrum
May 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
My best guess is that if you just repaired the existing installation the repair might not have taken care of a potential corruption affecting the original device installation.

Ghost the boot drive as it is now, then uninstall the card in Device Manager and reboot. When XP loads, see if XP finds the device again and be ready with the install CD if it does.

If all else fails, the brute force method would be to format the drive down to bare metal and reinstall XP from scratch. That should take care of any potential registry corruption that your repair didn't catch.

meLoCo_go
May 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Ghost the boot drive as it is now, then uninstall the card in Device Manager and reboot. When XP loads, see if XP finds the device again and be ready with the install CD if it does.
I've done that but nothing happened...

If all else fails, the brute force method would be to format the drive down to bare metal and reinstall XP from scratch. That should take care of any potential registry corruption that your repair didn't catch.
Yeah... but that would be my last choice for many reasons (reinstalling all the progs among them).

MacGregor
May 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I've been asked to help to troubleshoot a PC after WinXP crash. It seemed that the hardware was OK, and I run WinXP installation in repair mode. It went OK and all the progs run and settings restored but there is a problem with the soundcard. It is Genius Sound Maker Value 5.1, XP seem to recognize it and there is InstallCD for it, but nomatter what I do, it does not appear as a device I can play sound in Sound and Multimedia tab in Control Panel. There are some shared IRQs but changing slots doesn't help.

Any ideas?

What I'd do in that order:

Check in the PCs BIOS if (if available) the on-board sound card is
disabled.

Uninstall all audio devices in the Device manager. After that
shutdown, remove the card, boot up again to verify that no
one complains and that all entries for this card in the Device
manager are gone.

Re-install hard and software. Double check the card's manual, some
cards require the software to be installed before(!) you put them
into your PC.

If 1. - 3. fail I'd check the card in a different PC just to rule out
hardware issues with the card.

Mac

meLoCo_go
May 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Uninstall all audio devices in the Device manager. After that
shutdown, remove the card, boot up again to verify that no
one complains and that all entries for this card in the Device
manager are gone.

Mac

Hmm... all devices including what?) Just to be sure....

MacGregor
May 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Hmm... all devices including what?) Just to be sure....

Depending on the card there could be entries like
- <cardname> High definition audio
- Legacy audio Drivers
- USB Audio device
- MIDI Device
- Whatever else the card/software might support, a look
into the manual or homepage for the card can help.

Mac

meLoCo_go
May 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Ah...
OK)
I just thought of removing ALL the devices including modems, printers, graphics and everything else)))))