PDA

View Full Version : The Bob Olhsson appreciation thread.

MacGregor
May 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
What?

Yep, last night I've listen through the 'black part' of my music
collection and more than half of the albums have Bob's name
mentioned in the credits, so I think it's time to appreciate our
very own Bob.

I mean, we're so used to have him hanging around here that it's
easy to forget what this guy has done for the music.

Each time I think I've found a very cool trick to improve what I
do Bob was already there some decades ago.

And he has always time to help people and spread his knowledge, no
matter if you're an award winning AE or some home studio beginner.

Where else can you read how Stevie played drums and what
Marvin ate for lunch?

So, from my side a big 'Thank you, Bob' for your work and for
hanging around here.

Mac

Fulcrum
May 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
We're damn lucky. That's all I've got to say.

Your continued good health and fortune Bob.

jerryskid
May 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
(genuflects)

thanks Bob!!!!

Kenny Gioia
May 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Here here!!!!!

Not only is he the most knowledgeable one here, the one with the best life experiences, and had the biggest impact on music in general, but he is also the most likable, soft spoken, least controversial and contains the unique skill of typing half as many words as the rest of us while saying 4X as much.

Use this opportunity. Take advantage. Ask him. Listen. Learn.

Peace.

E. Shaun
May 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I second all of the above, and give extra special thanks to the man for mastering all CAPE tracks this time around. Yup, even Team Omen's!

Hooray Bob!

Tim Armstrong
May 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
My hat's off and my beer glass raised!

Thanks for hanging out with the likes of us, Bob!!!

Cheers, Tim

lebouche
May 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Yes big up the bob.
Thanks for being here :)

CaptainHook
May 6th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Thanks Bob. :)

Mixerpuppet
May 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM
It would be difficult to compress in such a small box of text the amount of knowledge I have learned or at least attempted to learn from Bob Olhsson.

A man of great talent and heart with an atypical willingess to share his experience and experiences with so many people, no matter what level in life they may be...

Hooray for Bob...

Tim Halligan
May 6th, 2007, 03:48 AM
A man of great talent and heart with an atypical willingess to share his experience and experiences with so many people, no matter what level in life they may be...

That, right there, is the mark of an exceptional man.

Thanks Bob.

Cheers,
Tim

robmacki
May 6th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Here, here!

or is it...

Hear hear!
:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

I always try to read what he says.

archtop
May 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I'm a cocky little yappy bugger sometimes.
When Bob speaks, I shut up and listen.

Thank you Bob.

M.Brane
May 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I've seen plenty of posts where Bob pretty much nails it, and not just on this forum.

Pretty cool that he calls this one home.

Thanks Bob.:Thumbsup:

nobby
May 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
most likable, soft spoken, least controversial

He's the anti-Kenny! :lol:

Yep, Bob is one of the reasons Motown's music is timeless.

And, what everybody else said.

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

PRobb
May 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Gotta jump in on this. His is the voice of reason and experiance. One of the best things about this forum.

I had the privelege of having him master a record I did. When it came back from Nashville my reaction was "Yeah, THAT"S what I meant".:lol:

Trazan
May 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I always pictured Bob as that elderly wise wizard kinda guy. Womb's own Gandalf.

Bobalf? Wombalf?

Swafford
May 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Having had the pleasure of watching Bob burst out laughing during tracking from some magic that happened, I always thought of him as like Santa Claus. Always giving, laughing at some thing I could only begin to understand, and timeless wisdom.

Less kick, violin left, no right, no more kick.....sorry I'm such a pain in the ass Bob. Can I blame my mom? I owe you a pie.

And if you haven't seen it already, Mix did an article on Bob and Ed. Mostly Ed, but i'm sure Ed would agree, if not for Bob.

http://mixonline.com/studios/profiles/audio_nashville_skyline_99/

Maybe when I'm in Nashville next week, I can take a better photo you guys can use...that one, um, sucks.

archtop
May 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have an affectionate nickname for Bob that I actually got from Bob when he answered the phone.

ring, ring Bubbles.

uh, what?.

Bubbles.

And then I figured it out.

Bubbles= Bob Olhsson quickly.

EyreSpace
May 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks to Bob and for "bobfest"

Bob Olhsson
May 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much everybody!

I'm really a very shy nerd who is standing on the shoulders of the giants who I got to spend my '20s with.

Cosmic Pig
May 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Yup, thanks Bob. You (and Ed too) have given me a few light bulb moments, which is rare in someone of my intellectual stature.

Cos.

Mixerman
May 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Bob Olhsson is the best. No doubt about it.

We love him here, and wouldn't have it any other way. If you never read his forum, well, you're missing out big time.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

mousdrvr
May 7th, 2007, 04:29 AM
It's been said but I can't not chip in.

Yes Bob thank you very much for being here!

good thread Mac.

-mous

bunnerabb
May 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I spent an hour and change on the phone with Bob Olhsson, last year, and it was one of the most enjoyable and informative conversations in ages.

Thank you for you time and your company, Mr. Olhsson.

prmntwaves
May 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks so much everybody!

I'm really a very shy nerd who is standing on the shoulders of the giants who I got to spend my '20s with.

...and the broad shoulders we now stand upon are yours Bob.

Thanks.

bunnerabb
May 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM
...and the broad shoulders we now stand upon are yours Bob.

Touchdown.

jerryskid
May 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
yep.....:Thumbsup:

Scratchy Potts
May 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Here here!!!!!

Not only is he the most knowledgeable one here, the one with the best life experiences, and had the biggest impact on music in general, but he is also the most likable, soft spoken, least controversial and contains the unique skill of typing half as many words as the rest of us while saying 4X as much.

Use this opportunity. Take advantage. Ask him. Listen. Learn.

Peace.

What Kenny said!..Bobs the Biz.:Coolio:

Immanuel
May 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
:)

James Murphy
May 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
As a child my parents were huge Motown fans, so i grew up listening to all those records on their old Marantz turntable. i used to voraciously read the liner notes of every LP we had back then (the 70's), and i still remember Bob's name because it appeared so often. Though i'm normally working these days with a much different style of music, those albums were the seeds that planted the desire to pursue music, both as a musician and a "recordist", so deeply in my psyche that i never once thought of doing anything else.

Cheers for your part in that Bob.

much respect.

ATTICus Finch
May 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Bob.

You rule.
-R3

Bob Olhsson
May 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM
... i still remember Bob's name because it appeared so often...Gee, the only credits I ever remember getting at the time were for one Rare Earth album, an R.Dean Taylor album and two XIT albums.

Universal has recently given the Motown engineers a bunch of credits on CD reissues for which I'm greatful but AllMusic still lists me as a "New Age" guy because of the space music label I did most of the mastering for during the '90s.

E. Shaun
May 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Gee, the only credits I ever remember getting at the time were for one Rare Earth album, an R.Dean Taylor album and two XIT albums.

Universal has recently given the Motown engineers a bunch of credits on CD reissues for which I'm greatful but AllMusic still lists me as a "New Age" guy because of the space music label I did most of the mastering for during the '90s.

Honestly Bob, not that you necessarily care about such things, but you should consider contacting the AMG staff about that. Seriously...for someone who was a big part of that musical zeitgeist, you deserve the recognition from folks of my generation and after -- typically ones who DO like to look through the credits of their idols.

MacGregor
May 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Gee, the only credits I ever remember getting at the time were for one Rare Earth album, an R.Dean Taylor album and two XIT albums.

Yep, just checked my CDs against MacWifey's albums: AE/ME
credits are rare on these albums.

'Bob the New Age Guy' sounds a bit odd for someone with your
discography.

Mac

Bob Olhsson
May 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM
To be fair to the people who dispensed album credits back in the '60s, it was not uncommon for there to have been 8 or 10 different engineers and thirty or forty different musicians who worked on any given pop album. Even if the art department could figure out who all had worked on the project, there wouldn't have been any room left on the jacket for a blurb about the artist.

After multi-track became popular in the '70s the number of participants in albums shrunk down to what it presently is making credits a lot more practical and even potentially a sales tool to demonstrate how seriously the label is taking the album.

James Murphy
May 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
well as i said, it was the 70's and i sure remembered your name from somewhere when i started posting here... then i read some of the comments talking about your involvement with Motown so i put one and one together and came up two... since i used to read all the liner notes on every album... and it's still a habit i have to this day, but with a 1200+ vinyl collection and a 2000+ CD collection that's a lot to remember.

your name has been in my memory banks for years and regardless of exactly where i learned of your contribution to Motown for the first time, i still appreciate that contribution and for me being part of a forum that you are a big part of..... it's just damned cool.