PDA

View Full Version : music + marketing: a new low

McAllister
May 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM
gotta love it

kinda wish I'd thought of it first (not really, but still)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2073012,00.html

M

Azraphael
May 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I find this more than a little repulsive. Bill Hicks had it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Cheers,

Dave

nobby
May 8th, 2007, 11:29 PM
legitimate promotions company

Oxymoron?

And I don't believe that example is a new low. The gold standard in low is payola, and all you are seeing is new and "creative" ways of circumventing the law.

Kind of like campaign finance reform.

Now, pardon me while I projectile vomit.

mousdrvr
May 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Uh..................

Now I'm worried. I'm not even a little bit shocked by this. Really not even a little. Torture is "legal" these days. News agencies are under no "legal" duty to report the truth, and now some folks are catching shit for not having the decency NOT to pretend they're doing something other than just pimping air gel.

In fact now that I think about it a minute I'm oddly refreshed. :lol:

-mous

Swafford
May 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
So what's the big deal? Labels use adverts to break new bands, why can't ad agencies use radio playlists to break new products? Seems fair.

Zoesch
May 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
So what's the big deal? Labels use adverts to break new bands, why can't ad agencies use radio playlists to break new products? Seems fair.

More or less that's what crossed my mind.

I've become far more cynical than what's deemed healthy :(

nobby
May 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Uh..................

Now I'm worried. I'm not even a little bit shocked by this. Really not even a little. Torture is "legal" these days. News agencies are under no "legal" duty to report the truth, and now some folks are catching shit for not having the decency NOT to pretend they're doing something other than just pimping air gel.

In fact now that I think about it a minute I'm oddly refreshed. :lol:

-mous

Hey, I use air gel. It makes me look ten years younger, and makes me feel oddly refreshed.

At least, that's what I said after I signed the contract and cashed that $10k check...

:grin:

mousdrvr
May 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Hey, I use air gel. It makes me look ten years younger, and makes me feel oddly refreshed.

Yeah me too, I steal Lily's and with the amount we go through I think they should have cut you a bigger a check. :lol:

-mous

nobby
May 11th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah me too, I steal Lily's and with the amount we go through I think they should have cut you a bigger a check. :lol:

-mous

Cool. If Iron Lily :lol: can get me a better deal, she gets the usual 40% :Thumbsup: :Wink:

Bob Olhsson
May 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
This is really nothing new at all. What's killing music is being in bed with advertisers rather than music fans.

If anything, these guys are being more honest than most about their status as whores!

eagan
May 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
The thing I think that says more as an indicator of the general state of things is something fairly basic about this story.

Apparently for some time nobody knew it was just an advertising jingle until somebody pointed it out.

I think this sums up the general state of pop music circa 2007 pretty profoundly.

OK, now, shall we revive the old topic of "hey, why aren't musical recordings selling well these days"?

Incidentally, it bugs me to no end that a musician I've really liked and respected for a long time, Eddie Jobson, is evidently pretty much devoted full time these days to doing almost nothing except music for advertising.

What a waste of great talent, ability, and imagination.

But I can't cast stones at the guy for it, as disappointing as it is that I can't go out and get albums full of great new music from this guy every now and then, because he's probably doing a lot better financially doing this than if he were recording and releasing solo albums instead.

This sucks.

JLE

Bob Olhsson
May 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The irony is that advertising actually paid the bills for most of the great studios and musicians of the '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s. It's just that what they did for their fans didn't have Madison Avenue strangling it.

Think about it, the Weavers, all avowed out and out card-carrying Communists, actually had a hit record during the McCarthy era. Today the Dixie Chicks get yanked off country radio for one anti-war remark.

We REALLY need to get live music out of stadiums and back into ordinary people's lives.

rockdart
May 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM
The irony is that advertising actually paid the bills for most of the great studios and musicians of the '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s. It's just that what they did for their fans didn't have Madison Avenue strangling it.

Think about it, the Weavers, all avowed out and out card-carrying Communists, actually had a hit record during the McCarthy era. Today the Dixie Chicks get yanked off country radio for one anti-war remark.

We REALLY need to get live music out of stadiums and back into ordinary people's lives.

Then I guess it's time to develop and market (D'oh!) a new flavor of Kool Aide. The current flavor is a bit too diluted - or is that deluded?

Hopefully not that Gatorade stuff on "Idiocracy" (great movie btw, if you haven't seen it, do so).

bunnerabb
May 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM

It has to be a big deal, again.

Not a T-Shirt shop with a beer concession and some guys with guitars 400 feet away. Somewhere between Earls Court and Earl's Bar.

.02 USD