PDA

View Full Version : I am Too Stupid to Own ProTools and Why Apple Killed my system

Home Recording Odyssey
May 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Well guys I have a sad tail to tell you this week so sit back, pour yourself a drink and get ready to either laugh or feel my pain.

It was a warm Autumn day and all was well with the world. That night my I-Mac automatically updated to OSX 10.4.9 in the background. The next day I discovered that I should not allow this to happen as it can effect the ProTools installation if they change anything in the core audio section with the update, oh no I thought what if it is broken, there is no way to go back I will have to reinstall!

No probs, fired PT and everything was as it should be, learning from this valuable lesson I switch off Auto Update as suggested in the PT Manual. Now I won't have any problems, all is well.

A couple of nights later and Auto update informs me this time, instead of just doing it, that there is an update for Quicktime. I thinks to myself, self this is not OS related it should be okay to do this update, so I did it.

Well guess what, apparently quicktime is a massively integral part of audio on the mac and in protools. (Yeh I know you all knew that but I didn't)

My system is now broken, it opens, then crashes or I try to record and then can't stop it, if I close a session, I lose all control and have to force quit to close PT.

What to, do what do.

Here is my recovery process:

First I copy important data from my Audio drive to my backup drive.
Second I use Superdooper (Big Als advice) to clone my Primary HDD onto my Audio Drive
Now I have double copies of everything except all my Audio files which are on the backup drive.

I now Format my Internal Primary and reinstall OSX.
At this point it asks me if I would like to transfer data from a previous system so I thought I would give it a go and see what happens. Well dagnabit, it worked a treat, everything except the version of OS was exactly as it was before, PT and all of its plugs were there and still authorized, my email all still worked my bookmarks were all still intact, this is great !

Next I use the Combo Updater from Apple to update it to 10.4.8 and the second most recent version of Quicktime.

So far so good. :Roll eyes:

Now, I go to use ProTools and it tells me that my drives cannot be changed to record enabled so I go the the Digidesign User Conference and research the reason.

Here I found a whole lot of information on how to fix this but it was all crap, nothing worked. As a last resort I make sure nothing is still needed on the cloned drive and format it as suggested on the Digidesign forum. It did not work. Last resort, reinstall ProTools, I so did not want to do this as it meant re-authorising all of my Plugins, something that took two days the first time I did it.

Guess what again? This not only fixed my problem but all the plugs still worked, oh heaven, I wish I had just done that in the first place!

All is well in the world and I am a very happy man but peaved at apple for making such drastic changes that broke so many different applications.

Now, onto some mixing, where is that Audio directory? You know the one that was only in one place! That one place was on the drive I just formatted F#&KKKKKK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :Mad:

All gone, Previous Episodes, Past Mixes, My Production Files, Mixes from the Studio in Wagga, Guest Segments, My in-progress segment. (Nothing of a financial nature thank god)

All gone :Uh oh:

I had everything backed up in at least two places but I did not have room for two versions of my Audio Directory (over 100 Gb) Had I not been following duff advise to format the drive to fix ProTools from the Digidesign Website I would be okay now. I hope my pain will benefit you in some way.

On a positive note I now have to record all previous songs again but now with a lot more experience and knowledge so they should be much better :very happy:

Lesson Number 1 Do not use Auto Update or update manually if you are not sure.

Lesson Number 2 Refer to lesson Number 1

New Feed: http://hro.libsyn.com/rss

Dr. Bob
May 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I FEEL the pain!

BELIEVE ME!

In 15 years, Apple has only screwed up updates twice... 8.6.2 and now 10.4.9... It's not a bad track record, but still...

David Aurora
May 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

dont even save a fucking text file.

it may be possible to recover your shit.....maybe......

but seeing as im way out of date with apple os shit, ill leave this open for somebody with tiger experience to talk you through attempting it.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING!!!! ive been there dude....

p.s. what could you have possibly wanted to go to wagga for???? we're talking about the same wagga right???? wagga wagga, NSW????!!!

James Wilsey
May 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Ummmmm.... Don't blame Apple.

You can have the option to "Download Important Updates in the Background", which also states: "You will be notified when the updates are ready to be installed"

Installing the updates still requires you to run the installer, click 'yes' etc. and then type in your admin password. The computer WILL NOT do that by itself -- no matter what.

Don't blame Apple. Blame the dude that snuck in, clicked 'yes' and then typed in your admin password.

You might want to change your PW so he can't do it again.

dikledoux
May 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Where are all the MACsnob faithful in these kinds of threads to tell us how a PC is inferior just because it's a PC?

Rule #1 - all computers crash
Rule #2 - backups are not optional (see rule #1)

dik

bbkong
May 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm convinced now.

I've been wavering on the subject for a couple of weeks and I've concluded that yes, I need a Mac and Protools so I won't miss out on all this fun.

pounce
May 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Where are all the MACsnob faithful in these kinds of threads to tell us how a PC is inferior just because it's a PC?

Rule #1 - all computers crash
Rule #2 - backups are not optional (see rule #1)

dik

alright, the first platform related troll post in the thread, so i'll bite.

this issue isn't platform related. it's (unfortunately for the original poster) related to the user more than the software. a little more knowledge and a proper backup scheme for the audio directory would have prevented the worst part of this. i consider this an episode of learning about computers in general. every computer user has some story about learning how things interelate to each other and how to back up properly.

in my time of owning and or using most popular and unpopular platforms (atari, amiga, next, beos, windows, mac, linux, etc) these types of issues are somewhat the same on all platforms.

again, my point is that making an unecessary attack at mac users makes you seem kind of like a dick. we've already been through this in other threads where your tone was consistent. since you can't play well in mac threads you should reconsider posting in them.

ps: bubba - you have some computer smarts already. you won't find the mac to be any worse than anything else, and especially with the new intel macs you may find you like them a lot better than your other puters. i just got my quad intel mac this week and i can't wait to do a proper session on it. i need to get my pcie versions of the uad1 cards (any day now) and i'll be back in business.

bbkong
May 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm sure you're right, Paul.

In all honesty, I probably won't be getting one anyway because of two key reasons:

I don't need another learning curve on a unfamiliar platform because I don't record with computers anyway and..

nobby
May 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
my point is that making an unecessary attack at mac users makes you seem kind of like a dick.

Are you calling Dik a dick?

And I don't think that was so much an attack on mac users as it was a backlash against percieved attacks against pc users.

We pc users don't need to be attacked by mac users in addition to being attacked by our pcs :grin:

dikledoux
May 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
alright, the first platform related troll post in the thread, so i'll bite.
"Oh lord, please don't let me be mis... understood"

Not trolling for one platform vs the other - just noting that (as you mentioned) this sort of problem isn't platform specific, yet it seems like most of what I hear from mac loyalists is that these things practically never happen and thus Macs are superior.

Which got me to my original point

ALL

ALL

ALL

computers crash.

Be prepared like a geeky boy scout.

While trying to figure out how to recover from the current disaster, include the plan to not let it happen again. Otherwise you're asking for a repeat.

dik

Home Recording Odyssey
May 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

it may be possible to recover your shit.....maybe......

p.s. what could you have possibly wanted to go to wagga for???? we're talking about the same wagga right???? wagga wagga, NSW????!!!

I found a plethora of programs that could recover my files, they would even rename them. Trouble was they all wanted to put the files in Directories like AIFF, WAV etc with new names like wav0001.wav wave002.wave etc.

Can you imaging trying to piece together and organise all your protools sessions from that!

So I have given up, it is all too late now as I have repartitioned and used the drive.

I am Working out in Wagga Wagga every couple of week as assistant engineer in Flying Fox Studios. Grant Luhrs the owner, is also a performer and they are recording a new album. He wanted someone to track while they perform so he did not have to run in and out of the control room etc. The deal is I do for free and he teaches me everything he know. It has been great fun so far, just a hell of a drive each fortnight.

He is learning from me also as his studio is all hardware with a Mackie MDR2496 and Tascam Desk. I have been showing him ProTools so he now has a 002 on order. Is still wants to track on the Desk and Mackie and then render files to copy across to PT.

Works pretty well really, I have been mixing the files in ProTools at home and doing things that he cannot believe is possible, specially stuff like replacing kick and snare on less the perfect performances etc

Andrew

Home Recording Odyssey
May 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ummmmm.... Don't blame Apple.

You can have the option to "Download Important Updates in the Background", which also states: "You will be notified when the updates are ready to be installed"

Installing the updates still requires you to run the installer, click 'yes' etc. and then type in your admin password. The computer WILL NOT do that by itself -- no matter what.

Don't blame Apple. Blame the dude that snuck in, clicked 'yes' and then typed in your admin password.

You might want to change your PW so he can't do it again.

Yeh yeh I know, I was not really blaming Apple, but they could have done a bit more researching before making such drastic changes to Quicktime, I here anecdotally that there is other things this update broke.

So far as backups, I always have two of everything, in this case I was shifting things around so I could format a drive because Digidesign said that this would fix my problem with being unable to change a drive to Record mode, it didn't. I was wrapped up in trying to solve one problem and lost site of the other.

This is not a Platform specific problem, the problem is simply that I went against Digidesigns recommendation of not updating until approved by Digidesign, something I was well aware of, yet I pressed the button anyway.

Andrew

fizbin
May 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Like David Fuckman says - don't touch anything on that drive. Don't delete or create anything there. If it's like a PC (and I very much believe it is), deleting something or even formatting a drive just deletes the "pointer" to it. The actual data may still be there unless it has actually been overwritten by something. Even then since it was so much data, you may still be able to recover a decent portion of it. I did a quick search on google -

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-04,GGLD:en&q=data+recovery+hfs

Check one of these out.

Best of luck to you,
fizbin

P.S. I see now you've already tried this. Maybe there is one out there that will not rename them. On a mac, that pointer to the file may somehow include its name. Not sure.

vocalnick
May 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I must admit, in my occasional moments of PC-based issues I've thirsted for the Mac Kool-Aid myself. "They just work" would be marvellous were it only true. Like Dik said, computers all require thought and a bit of maintenance.

I'm entirely confident that if someone had made this thread posting about their PC-DAW nightmare, there would have been a Mac-Zealot in here throwing the party line around in less than five posts.

That said - a format is a format, it doesn't matter which platform you're on. I've made silly mistakes like that in the past, and I can completely empathise. Glad you didn't lose anything financially important, but still... Bummer :(

pounce
May 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
my mac experience is pretty damn good all things considered. i suppose it's why i keep 4 of em around the house. and especially after working on a vista machine i realized i much prefer osx over vista. i do think many of the niceties about macs prove true, but this thread still shows that a determined computer user can still screw it up by not backing up data right and doing certain os updates that affect other programs. that's pretty obviously universal.

FajitaTone
May 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM
NEVER RECORD TO THE SYSTEM DRIVE

rinse, repeat.

use a separate audio drive. Windows/Mac/Linux.

NEVER RECORD AUDIO TO THE SYSTEM DRIVE

Home Recording Odyssey
May 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM
NEVER RECORD TO THE SYSTEM DRIVE

rinse, repeat.

use a separate audio drive. Windows/Mac/Linux.

NEVER RECORD AUDIO TO THE SYSTEM DRIVE

ermmmm, I do, that was not the problem.

It is all over now, I put this up not for sympathy but so others can learn from my stupidity. The one thing that should be in caps is DO NOT UPDATE WITHOUT CHECKING DIGIDESIGN WEBSITE. All the other problems were a result of trying to fix that first problem.

Andrew

Bob Olhsson
May 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Apple is hell bent for leather on turning the Mac into the premiere Unix platform. Unix is all about distributed computing across networked machines. Trying to do real-time audio on a Unix box is like trying to win a drag race with a locomotive.

This is why it took over a year to make any audio applications work on system X . Every system update Apple makes in the direction of Unix compatibility is a potential train wreck for audio.

It's also why I went directly from system 9 to PeeCee rather than become a paying beta tester for this kind of BS.

magicchord
May 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Fascinating.

James Wilsey
May 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yeh yeh I know, I was not really blaming Apple, but they could have done a bit more researching before making such drastic changes to Quicktime, I here anecdotally that there is other things this update broke.

This is not a Platform specific problem, the problem is simply that I went against Digidesigns recommendation of not updating until approved by Digidesign, something I was well aware of, yet I pressed the button anyway.

OS updates (Windows, Mac, etc.) are created to patch and improve the OS itself. It would be impossible for the makers of the OS to test their updates with every piece of software and hardware to make sure there are no problems, and then wait until everyone is up to spec.

Quicktime is a layer of the Mac OS. It handles audio and video at the system level. It's not just an internet video player.

Usually, when an app is written within Apple's guidelines, updates will have no problems.

Be very careful about Quicktime updates if you use any video or audio applications.

I have found that you NEVER gain any advantage by being the first on your block to update- software, hardware, anything. If your rig is running well, leave it alone. Upgrade only after doing the proper research, and let others make the mistakes first.

FajitaTone
May 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm in a networked computer enviornment and our machines are pretty solid. Granted, we don't update automaticaly, nor do we run the absolute most current OS Version. Our Admins are aware that the audio and video editing systems can be quite finicky, so there are machines designed to be test mules for system updates. No OS is perfect. Even in the Windows world, the updates can wreak havoc on your apps. Isn't Windows kernel based also? Well, the fact of the matter is you live, you learn.

And to HRO... how did you manage to wipe all your audio files from your audio only drive? Re-Formatting the system drive would not have caused such a catastrophic loss of data.

Glad all is back though. You should invest in TechTool and DiskWarrior. And probably CarbonCopyCloner. Once you have a runnig system, clone that sucker.

All the best.

Fajita

fizbin
May 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
No OS is perfect. Even in the Windows world

Did you just type that on purpose?
:Razz:

Tim Halligan
May 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I have found that you NEVER gain any advantage by being the first on your block to update- software, hardware, anything. If your rig is running well, leave it alone. Upgrade only after doing the proper research, and let others make the mistakes first.

Indeed.

The other name for "early adopters" is...

...idiots.

:Roll eyes:

Cheers,
Tim

Dr. Bob
May 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM
OK... Hijack in progress...

For those that know... I'm pretty much a Mac Addict... As a Systems Admin, I HATE the way that the Winderz environment is so permiated with crap, overhead and nasty's that abound from the Redmond Retards... but I gotta agree with Bob O. (and I said I'd NEVER do this unless I have to...)

But I gotta buy a Windows box.... BLECH! Damn that tastes nasty as hell... but yeah, damnit... I said it. For general computing, graphics, etc.... I'll take a Mac over Winderz anything...

So, until I can afford my HD1, 2 or 3 rig... I'm gonna play with a Core 2 Duo. I'm sick and tired of getting kicked in the nads by Apple and their latest update. Sure, I can roll back to the last known good version, but at least with an XP Pro box, I can use it exclusively for audio and not worry about the internot... cause I ain't gonna let it play with matches.

tamasdragon
May 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Both platform can be good or bad, but both company throw out so much marketing bs, that every normal people tired of. Not to mention that many times apple try to make you think that if you buy the applecomp, you won't have any problem in your life.
And don't forget the first rule. When you've got a working system, backup it in that minute.
Tamas Dragon

Bob Olhsson
May 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
The irony here is that the wondoze box of choice may well be none other than a Mac Pro running bootcamp provided you can get away with using a firewire interface!

I think PCI interfaces are more solid which makes the Dell Precision 490 or 690 what's happening. A nice thing about these is that they come without all of the preinstalled bloat because they are being marketed to computer saavy people.

And let me reiterate that I wouldn't buy a used car from either Jobs or Gates. They're both ethically challenged as is most of the Silicon Valley crowd. And just for perspective, I got my first Mac in 1985, was around the 100th Digidesign customer, introduced Macs and digi to Skywalker Ranch and am married to the only other member of BOTH the Berkeley Macintosh User Group and the Stanford Music Special Interest Group.

Dion Stewart
May 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Apple is hell bent for leather on turning the Mac into the premiere Unix platform. Unix is all about distributed computing across networked machines. Trying to do real-time audio on a Unix box is like trying to win a drag race with a locomotive.

This is why it took over a year to make any audio applications work on system X . Every system update Apple makes in the direction of Unix compatibility is a potential train wreck for audio.

It's also why I went directly from system 9 to PeeCee rather than become a paying beta tester for this kind of BS.

Bob,

With all due respect a lot of what you said above is simply not accurate. If anything, the Mach kernel that's part of the Unix system under the covers of OS X is an advantageous architecture for building real-time applications because it provides low-latency access to processor resources.

I don't think it took Apple a year to make audio apps compatible with OS X because of the Unix architecture. It had more to do with the fact that the libraries applications are built upon completely changed between OS 9 and OS X.

I don't blame you for switching to a PC instead of waiting for all the audio applications to be migrated from OS 9 to OS X. But Unix isn't really to blame for the delays.

Dion

Spock
May 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
With all due respect a lot of what you said above is simply not accurate. If anything, the Mach kernel that's part of the Unix system under the covers of OS X is an advantageous architecture for building real-time applications because it provides low-latency access to processor resources.

I don't think it took Apple a year to make audio apps compatible with OS X because of the Unix architecture. It had more to do with the fact that the libraries applications are built upon completely changed between OS 9 and OS X.

Well I would say your are both a bit wrong. (damn this is not good, saying Bob is wrong)

Unix has been about small light processes. It's problems are exactly what Dion describes as a feature, "low-latency access to processor resources". The UNIX driver model just sucks, so you have no choice in your application but to code down to the bare metal of the machine. And while this is not a problem for turn key or embeded systems, it is a nightmare for developers that have to deal with the OS.

You see the OS is not doing what it should, the audio functions have been pushed up to a run time library. Now if the library doesn't do what you want you are forced to code to the hardware bypassing the libraries, or at least faking them out. When a new library comes out you could be screwed, the way it works with the hardware can conflict with your work arounds. In this case Apple would say, "Hey, if you were calling our library all alone then you wouldn't have any problems." This is true, but if the library is lacking the fuctions you need, you have no other choice.

James Murphy
May 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
OK... Hijack in progress...

For those that know... I'm pretty much a Mac Addict... As a Systems Admin, I HATE the way that the Winderz environment is so permiated with crap, overhead and nasty's that abound from the Redmond Retards... but I gotta agree with Bob O. (and I said I'd NEVER do this unless I have to...)

But I gotta buy a Windows box.... BLECH! Damn that tastes nasty as hell... but yeah, damnit... I said it. For general computing, graphics, etc.... I'll take a Mac over Winderz anything...

So, until I can afford my HD1, 2 or 3 rig... I'm gonna play with a Core 2 Duo. I'm sick and tired of getting kicked in the nads by Apple and their latMuch respect to est update. Sure, I can roll back to the last known good version, but at least with an XP Pro box, I can use it exclusively for audio and not worry about the internot... cause I ain't gonna let it play with matches.

lol.... sorry Doc.... i don't buy some of this story. (sue me!)

i believe this business of Unix "screwing up macs for audio" is, as Dion has stated, inaccurate. i'm simply not having a problem and i'm running as heavy a track count sessions as anyone here likely is. i will not upgrade past 10.4.8 until Digidesign says to... and even then i'll wait a bit and see what happens with the "early jumpers". Windows users should excersize the same discretion with something as important as the DAW that they earn their living with.... watch out for those Service Packs!... ya just never know.

i suppose this post makes me a "Mac Troll" now... but no less than a disingenuous post about how "macs are so messed up now that i HAVE to switch to PC", makes it's writer a PC Troll.

HEY, it says in the first few pages of the PT manuals to TURN OFF AUTOUPDATE.. it's that simple.. that's what i've done and my PT rig runs great. i'm running PT 7.3.1 on HD3 Accel in a Mac Quad 2.5 G5 and i've not had one single problem.. i run massive sessions and usually put in about 12 hours a day.. no problems. i have an assitant that uses "WInderz" that has far more problems than i do..... that is to say, i've had none to date and he's ran into several... including a MASSIVE f'up that cost him a $2000+ bill with Discsavers. Ok, that was mostly his f'up and not "Winderz" fault... but it was precipitated because PT was crashing incessantly on his PC. Also his fault? quite possibly, but it's not an uncommon story though i also know guys who aren't having a problem with PT on PC.

wait, so there are people NOT having PT/Audio problems on Macs and there are people that are having such problems..... and there are people that are NOT having PT/Audio problems on Windows and there are people that are having such problems. Clearly, the empirical evidence suggests that these issues are likely user error related.

back to the Unix issue... with the track and plug in counts i'm running i should have run into these big bad audio problems that Macs now have according to some who've piped in here.... well, that may or may not look good on paper (wouldn't know, haven't seen the paper) but it has not translated into a problem for me.

EDIT: Ok, Spock just blew my mind (don't write code, dont' want to), but nevertheless.... i'm just not having a problem.

Spock
May 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM
EDIT: Ok, Spock just blew my mind (don't write code, dont' want to), but nevertheless.... i'm just not having a problem.

OK, lets see if I can put this a better way.

A program be it PT or anything that wants to use audio hardware, or really any hardware for that matter, and needs to get information back forth to said hardware.

Look at it as a road. We have sound-card road and we have our car full or truck full of samples on this road so it can get to the sound card.

Now to get on that road you need to know if it left or right side drive, where you can get on and off the road, the traffic lights, etc. The rules are so car and trucks can get up and down the road with out hitting each other, and make sure nothing gets backed up.

So here comes Digi, and they say, "Man I don't like the rules to this road, if get on at point A and then hit these other traffic lights, it going to suck. I'll sneak down this back ally, and because I know the timing of the traffic lights, I can jump out without looking into the road based on my rules, and beat other to the audio card."

This works fine until, the road gets repaved, new side streets, new lanes get added, etc. Now that alley may be blocked, or the timing of some lights have changed and when you jump out without looking.... smash.

On one hand shame on Digi for making their own traffic rules, on the other hand, shame on Apple for at first only putting in a cobble stone road so Digi flet they had to bypass Apple's road.

My point is that most of the hardware drivers on many flavors of UNIX are short narrow roads, with few access points. Also these roads don't interconnect with other roads that well. (If you want a specific example I can tell you about how HP's tape drive driver is messed up)

Now you are right, if you just blindly update any machine, Wintel, MAC, other *NIX machines without making sure that the new drivers, etc will not kill your audio app, or database, or whatever you have that machine for, you are asking for trouble.

Over the years I've been asked why it takes so long to upgrade an OS. The upgrade is fast, it's the months of research and prep work that take time, and that is why they pay me. No if I can just get the boss to stop buying the latest stuff the sales-dweebs keep pushing at him, I'd have a real stable setup.

James Murphy
May 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
much more clear, thanks for that Spock.

still though, i'm not having a problem so the "system" is working for me.

mousdrvr
May 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM
so you have no choice in your application but to code down to the bare metal of the machine.

Spock! It's solid Beef Baby!
You are the best explainer of all things geek I have ever met.

I do write code for a living and I find it interesting that a relatively small part of my job is actually designing algorithms and writing code. Most of my time is eaten up managing dependency stacks, and while I accept the fact that this is a natural outcome when you're dealing with increasingly complex systems, I find it shameful that end users are asked to deal with this at all.

This thread and some others that have been turning up of late remind me of the following

It is a profoundly erroneous truism, repeated by all copy-books and by eminent people when they are making speeches, that we should cultivate the habit of thinking about what we are doing. The precise opposite is the case. Civilization advances by extending the numbers of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them. Operations of thought are like cavalry charges in battle -- they are strictly limited in number, they require fresh horses, and must only be made at decisive moments.

--Alfred North Whitehead

I encourage everyone to bitch and complain about OS stupidity loudly and if possible to the point of refusing to buy shit. At my day gig we are primarily funded by the DOD and increasingly the DHS. It's been fairly obvious in the past few years that these guys are loosing the admirably long sighted attitude that allowed the research community at large to do really cool things like The Internet and are embracing an attitude closer to what we're seeing in industry. Now everything is just a rapid prototype to get more funding to do something else. The problem is software is NOT ever temporary. It lives forever, and very soon you wind up trying to balance a melon on a grape.

-mous

Mitch
May 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I just got reading the whole thread so forgive me if I back up a bit.
I did update to 10.4.9..don't remember exactly the reason why, probably I thought the quicktime update would improve Final Cut. Also, I noticed for a while that from 10.4.5 or so... digidesign ALWAYS announced it's compatibility a while after. So I just went ahead and updated to let them announce it later... hehe
I must be a lucky SOB because I haven't noticed anything unusual. PT works great, loads fast, didn't lose any data ( I don't record on my system drive anyway) etc.. The only thing i noticed is I get poor CPU performance using 2 processors. I just switch to 1 and I'm laughing. I have a mbox mini and a digi002 rack with a 2.16 macbook pro. Installing the combo update didn't make a difference.
So I'm surprised it caused so much trouble for some people but not for me, especially when I read the first message of this thread.

Bob Olhsson
May 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM
My decision to avoid system X was based on what my friends at Stanford told me about their years of experience trying to get DAWs to work reliably on Unix boxes and the NeXt computer. I'm only passing on what I was told however my sources are far more knowledgeable in this area than most.

I'm also not suggesting that it didn't finally come together on the Mac but there is still no pro CD mastering and testing software running on System X.