PDA

View Full Version : Every now and then a revolutionary piece of gear comes along

Bob Olhsson
May 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I've spent my entire life on the bleeding edge of studio technology.

If we'd only had this back during the '70s:

http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

Goes211
May 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I've been on the waiting list for nearly 3 years myself.

:lol:

Scratchy Potts
May 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
:icon_eek: Wow!!!!........."is there a plugin version???

there's also the ability to pan from here to there and if you lose your way, there's a switch to get you back ......:lol:

PRobb
May 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I need one of these! I just did a mix where I really thought I nailed the this, but I couldn't get the that to ecstasy balance quite right. And I feel my panning has been more here than there lately.

Bob Olhsson
May 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
...I feel my panning has been more here than there lately.Peter, have you considered attending William Whitman's Charm School?

nobby
May 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I set the threshold on the Rinkwitz Liley 4th grade crossover filter too high and I was stuck in the third grade.

Johnny
May 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
No soar knob. POS.

PRobb
May 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Peter, have you considered attending William Whitman's Charm School?

No fuckin way!!:Twisted: :Twisted: :lol:

eagan
May 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Bob. That made my day.

JLE

frnjplayer
May 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm waiting for the long promised pseudo-optical refractory nibnob interface before I buy.

Droolbucket
May 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I especially like the lift/seperate switch on the back panel. I'm told underwire bras work great for shielding.

Droolbucket

mousdrvr
May 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
New Age Seminars
Car Washes
High School Cafeterias
Funeral Homes
Executive Washrooms
High End Audio Demo Rooms
Community Access Cable Channels
Airport Baggage Claim Areas
Cars With Tiny Steering Wheels
Communications Scrambling
Railroad Crossing Warning Systems
Door Stops

:lol: :lol: :lol:

scuse me while I change my underwear.

Thank you Bob I really needed that!

-mous

jerryskid
May 10th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Hee hee......thanx Bob.....:D

FajitaTone
May 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Do you HAVE to use the POWER and GLORY switches together, or are they independant?

Calvin
May 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Clips, please?

AxeSlash
May 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Looks like Rane have stooped to Behringer level...ripping off someone else's gear.

In this case NibNob (c) stuff. Shame it's a 1,000,000th of the size; ain't no way it's gonna sound as good as the full 2000 sq. ft. original.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I've seen one of these in Spinal Tap's FOH rack...maybe they are worth it after all.

Zoesch
May 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Duuuude... I have an early prototype.

Let me tell ya, it's a must have for mixing power metal bands.

When the singer goes wail, hit Power, when he goes epic, hit Glory and those lackluster "We set you freeeeeeeeee!" moments become glorious.

Being a prototype unfortunately it has no way to correct sub-atomic misalignments of kick drums and bass hits so they can totally obscure each other.

I hear Stratovarious has 20 of those.

Bob Olhsson
May 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Robin Woodland, a wonderful engineer I knew back in San Francisco built a box for his control room called a Talent Booster. Sometimes just switching the talent booster from "off" to "boost" really did the trick.

Unfcknblvbl
May 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Robin Woodland, a wonderful engineer I knew back in San Francisco built a box for his control room called a Talent Booster. Sometimes just switching the talent booster from "off" to "boost" really did the trick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Droolbucket
May 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM

When the singer goes wail, hit Power, when he goes epic, hit Glory and those lackluster "We set you freeeeeeeeee!" moments become glorious.

Maybe it's my age, but I still believe in the old-fashion approach to getting great sounds...

A REAL rotating speaker.

REAL power tube distortion.

A REAL car battery jumpered to the singer's testicles.

Maybe it's just me.....

Droolbucket

Zoesch
May 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Ha! You Luddite!

A Car battery strapped to a guy wearing leather and spikes has never been an option... ever heard of a Jacob's ladder? :lol:

(Not to mention the smell of burnt leather in the studio, Slippy digs it when he toasts people but I prefer my studio smell free)

pianodano
May 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Someone really has a good sense of humor. I especially like the midi (finish) jack and happy face input. Output jack looks kinda scary/devilish.

pianodano
May 12th, 2007, 12:25 AM
on a slightly different topic. Man - some of yuse guys have got bazillions of rep points. This must be where all the really important people hang out.

Jeff_C
May 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised you guys seem so enthusiastic about this product. If this "DWIWNWIS (Do what I want, not what I say) trouble free control interface" works, it could put many mixing engineers out of work.

Imagine if that control scheme could be ported to other products... Keys, guitar amps, FOH mixers, worse yet - monitor mixers.

Frightening!

Jeff_C

PRobb
May 17th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Clips, please?

Sure, here ya go.

http://womb.mixerman.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2323&stc=1&d=1179427360

http://womb.mixerman.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2324&stc=1&d=1179427403

JMP2204
May 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
If you are inclined to work on cars, this web site (http://kalecoauto.com/) is full of equivalent technology!