PDA

View Full Version : fun interview, more questions

pounce
December 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
i had fun doing the interview, but i still think more subjects came up that are just worthy of -discussion-. i'd love to see more talk about self promotion, time and money management, and so forth. there have been many downloads of the interview, but fewer discussions here. maybe we covered the topics well enough via the interview format, but please do continue to take advantage of this as a new discussion forum. we hope to continue to use this format in the future with other interviews.

Earwig
December 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
This has been a very fun process and I’ve enjoyed the comments from Bob, Charles, Kenny and everyone.

I think that I have a new topic for discussion...

The Killer Live Show and An Energized Performance: How much is too much?

Earwig was requested by popular demand and hired on to headline a corporate Xmas party for a “hip & young” mega-popular clothing company this past Friday. The company rented out one of the biggest venues in town and in addition to entertainment, hosted free food and alcohol for 4,000+ rowdy, young Christmas revelers. The joint was hoppin’ and everyone was in high holiday/rock-n-roll spirits. Earwig took the stage at 12:30 am. We played an extended set and saved one of our more kinetic, spastic full-on rockers for last. We ripped into the tune with all knobs at eleven, set to stun and determined to give everyone who stayed ‘til the end something special to remember us by. I was single-minded in my drive to give it my all for the adoring crowd. Right before the big finish/climactic guitar solo, in a performance induced, endorphin-fueled fury, I suddenly....

Well, Id rather not go into exactly what my jack-ass move consisted of. Let me just say that there was blood, the crowd went home satisfied and we finished the song in rare form. Also, I injured no-one but myself, damaged none of the club’s equipment and alcohol was not a factor. The main dynamic was my exuberant desire to “deliver”. Sometimes that desire serves me well...and sometimes I end up in the emergency room a fractured hand (broken metacarpal) and six stitches to hold together the gash over my left eye.

I’m trying not to feel too stupid (it’s hard) and I’m learning to type with just my left hand.

-lizard

www.lizardfamily.com (http://www.lizardfamily.com)
www.myspace.com/earwig (http://www.myspace.com/earwig)

Tim Armstrong
December 19th, 2007, 04:27 AM
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

:D

Cheers, Tim

clicktrack
December 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I bet it took all of 10 seconds (and a load of pain killers) for you to figure out how to play with that thing on!

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but just be glad it happened while you were doing something cool...like playing. I mean, hell...You could've been playing some ghey sport like poppycock shuttling or dodgeball or something...how would you tell the story then!?!?

:D

nobby
December 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
You weren't using one of those pointy guitars, were you? The kind that you can spear someone accidentally with :Wink:

nobby
December 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I'm curious about regional strategies. I think things aren't exactly the same wherever you go.

For example, you mentioned underground radio stations spinning your songs. The only underground radio stations in my area, to my knowledge are college stations.

Another thing; there was an article recently in the New York Times about bands no longer being afraid to acknowledge that they aren't from New York City. It sounds (or used to) "cool" to be from NYC, so a lot of people from the outer boroughs, NJ, and Long Island would say they're from NYC even though a long list of famous bands that are thought to be from NYC aren't.

I mean, are you going to have band practice in your apartment? And rehearsal studios aren't going to be cheap in Manhattan either.

One person mentioned the reluctance of people in Manhattan to applaud a band for fear that they'd be the only one, and would appear to be not cool :Roll eyes:

His band's antidote for the lack of 'social proof' (and I think this is a great idea) was to develop a following locally, then bring a bunch of their fans to the city.

I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts... they may have provided free tickets or transportation.

But most of the venues are outside the city anyway, and the parking and transportation is easier to deal with.