PDA

View Full Version : Chicks in the Mix...

J.G.
December 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Greetings, Womb-Dwellers,

This topic came up the other day in discussion, and again today, so I thought I'd slap up a thread on the subject of female audio engineers in this biz we call home.

I personally as the years go by, find myself more and more interested in the art of, and the science in, audio-sculpting. With each session I spend behind the mic, and the apres-sing noodling that always follows, I learn more and more in the digital realm, and more importantly, I really like what I am learning.

So here, I'd like to know of and discuss, how many of you have worked with or even just met female AE's during your collective travels through the sound-scapes?

: J

dikledoux
December 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I know there ain't ENOUGH of 'em... Only one I can think of is Suzy Champagne in Lafayette, La - she used to do house sound at Grant Street Dancehall years back. Not only did she have a great ear, she was super easy to work with... unless you acted like a jerk, then she'd be as harsh with the "suck" knob as any dude I ever met.

ah memories...

dik

Allstar
December 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I worked at Peermusic's studio (London) some time ago. The staff engineer I worked with there was female and in her twenties. I remember her being pretty quick getting around the SSL and fastidious about sound quality. Unfortunately I can't remenber her name now, it'd be intresting to google her and see if she's still at it.

Maybe my subconcious will come up with her name later.

Romulan Commander
December 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Not an AE, but I do run sound for a local band sometimes. Mostly because I'm the only band wife who ever shows up at their gigs. Now if the guitar player would only listen to me when I tell him to turn his amp down...

Rommie

Starfucker
December 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Darcy Proper... award winning Mastering AE... and a nice person too.

Skwaidu
December 17th, 2006, 09:25 PM
2 female mastering AEs in Helsinki... 2 recording engineers, that I can recall of. It's a male business at least around here...

Tim Halligan
December 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I'm currently working on the Ashes Test Match at the WACA, and the Audio Director is female.

I tend to see more female AE's in the broadcast/EFP/ENG side of the biz.

Cheers,
Tim

J.G.
December 17th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Taking notes...

Yes, mmmmm--yesssssssss, I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Guess it's all about the wiring...

I think I'd like to interview some of these female AE's, and see what makes their metronomes tick...

6x2
December 18th, 2006, 01:02 AM
2 female mastering AEs in Helsinki... 2 recording engineers, that I can recall of. It's a male business at least around here...

Spot on.

I knew quite a bunch in England, of which one has become really quite successful in her field (post-production).

6x2

CurtZHP
December 18th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I tend to see more female AE's in the broadcast/EFP/ENG side of the biz.

I work as a radio engineer by day, and I've yet to meet anyone who has even met a female engineer in radio. They've got to be out there, but they must be few and far between.

And the ones you do find look like Bubba! :lol:

6x2
December 18th, 2006, 01:04 AM
And obviously:

Emily Lazar (http://www.thelodge.com/mastering/)

:Wink:

6x2

Tim Halligan
December 18th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I work as a radio engineer by day, and I've yet to meet anyone who has even met a female engineer in radio. They've got to be out there, but they must be few and far between.

Most of the female AE's I've met are location sound recordists. Fewer studio/post AE's...and in this town, no music AE's.

And the ones you do find look like Bubba! :lol:

Not always...but sometimes.... :Roll eyes: ...and it doesn't matter anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

CurtZHP
December 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
...and it doesn't matter anyway...

Couldn't agree more. Just sayin'.

Bob Olhsson
December 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I learned most of my basic audio skills from two women who had been producers at NBC Radio during the '30s and '40s. They got canned along with most other women in technical jobs after WWII because the government offered huge financial incentives for hiring the thousands of male vets who had been trained in the same skills during the war.

This created a couple decades of almost nothing but male recording and broadcast engineers along with a locker room mentality around most studios that made men uncomfortable when women were present.

My wife Ellen's theory about how to crack this was to always have the foulest mouth in the room so she could never remotely be considered just a "chick." She became a pretty well respected computer nerd that way.

J.G.
December 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
:grin: That reminds me of------------:Confused: aaaaaaa leeeeeeeeeeetle storrryyyyy, about---------------:Razz:

Bob, I can surely relate to your wife's take on that deal.

Gotta run, we're outta mouth soap---again...

; J

bobzilla77
December 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
My band had many fine experiences working with Sally Browder. She engineered four of our records & mixed two. Always a pleasure. Sadly haven't seen her in about 7 years but she was top notch.

J.G.
December 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I am diggin' hearing about all the girl-ears in the audio-kitchen.

That bit about the war and favoring the hiring of males was derned interesting, Sir-Bob, dernnnnned.

: J

micguy
December 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Not an AE, but I do run sound for a local band sometimes. Mostly because I'm the only band wife who ever shows up at their gigs. Now if the guitar player would only listen to me when I tell him to turn his amp down...

Rommie

I got news for ya - you're telling the guitar player to turn down? If you're not careful, you're going to be an AE - you've already got one of the most valuable skills. Heck, you may already be one. Sorry. ;-)

GeeWhoLeeo
December 19th, 2006, 10:21 PM
there is a funk club in Rome (http://www.miccaclub.com/) where the resident AE is a young girl just out of SAE.
well, i have to say she made my life really easy, and working there was a total breeze.
very few other times in my life i found the channels in the mixer correctly patched to the lines on stage!
more power to the AE girls!

btw: Malice, if you're reading this thread, Nicola Conte is often playing in the club.

Comte de St Germain
December 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I've worked with a bunch over the years.

Got a female intern right now...

That girl who ran sound for us at the Little Steven gig was hot and good. The way she handled the crew rocked.