Bass: Malice
    Guitars: Trazan
    Guitars: Aardvark
    Vocals: Goes211
    Keys: Fulcrum
    Various perc, guitars, and loops: Aardvark
    Recorded by: Us

the ReMiX engineer : YOU

You get full access to the individual tracks of The Mixerman Radio Show Theme and you ReMiX it. It's as simple as that.

Rules ? ... No Rules !!! Do as you see fit.

------------------------------

We will run these events in 3 major 'phases', similar to the previous MiX iT events. Each phase has is conducted within it's own Timeframe. These timeframes are 'flexible' in length but will typically be 10 to 14 days.

Phase 1 : Q&A and Signup
    2 threads. Q&A ... this thread. All questions related to the MiX iT #4 event can be posted here.
    Signup : this thread.

Phase 2 : Download & ReMiX it
    Everyone who signs up gets ftp access to the audio files. You download the files and do what you have to do : ReMiX iT.

Phase 3 :Post it & Discuss it
    Everybody posts their ReMiX to the Post it thread.
    Good, healthy, informative discussions related to the remixes in the Discuss it threads.

Information & details on how to signup up for the MiX iT #4 Event can be found here.

Charles & Chris
    Last edited by Chris Lambrechts; March 6th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

Default Re: MiX iT#4a: ReMiX the MMRS theme : Q&A

Rules ? ... No Rules !!! Do as you see fit.
    No rules. Good!

So I can Autotune, sample replace, add own instruments/vocals to my liking?

Hehehe...

Hahahaha...

Snort....

Hohoho...

I've got an idea Aardy will hate me for.
    Will cost me some reputation, though

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928059

Ignore me.
    Last edited by CaptainHook; March 6th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 1,070
    Rep Power 536871073

What are the dates and schedule? I need to book in time around
    an album project to do this and it would be helpful to know what
    the timeline for MiXiT is. Thanks.

Well ... here's the thing ... those dates never really make much sense because we tend to keep things a bit flexible. Last coupls of times when we said 'a week' it more often then not turned into 2 ... even 3 weeks.

It depends (I know you all hate when we say that) ... Signups now run until next Sunday (15 March), maybe a couple of days longer. Once we close the signups, we'll put the files available for download - say round March 18th.

From that point on you have approx. 2 weeks to complete your remix so if you want a timeframe to work on the remix ... I'd say second half of March.

That's about as specific as it is going to get at this point.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 10.1.1.3
    Posts 2,173
    Rep Power 494928059

Yeah, sorry chris. I edited my post after i (properly) read this..

Each phase has is conducted within it's own Timeframe. These timeframes are 'flexible' in length but will typically be 10 to 14 days.
    "Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore

>> York St Recording Studios <<
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 1,520
    Rep Power 536871081

shit, this one's gonna be hard especially if you think, like I do, that the original mix is "right."

So I'm faced with a dilemma:

-Try to do something different just for the sake of it.

or

-Try to copy the original.

I'm gonna try not to do either. It's gonna be hard. But, I'm definitely gonna avoid hearing the original between now and the mix.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871177

shit, this one's gonna be hard especially if you think, like I do, that the original mix is "right."

So I'm faced with a dilemma:

-Try to do something different just for the sake of it.

or

-Try to copy the original.

I'm gonna try not to do either. It's gonna be hard. But, I'm definitely gonna avoid hearing the original between now and the mix.
    The second option is out of scope IMO, it's a RE-mix event, not a MIX event. And you're right, Mixerman's original mix is as good as it can be, in my opinion one of his best mixes ever.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

Oh, please forgive my lameness

But iby "remix" do you mean alternative mix, or that techno thing?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

Oh, please forgive my lameness

But iby "remix" do you mean alternative mix, or that techno thing?
    The womb is about music... Where does techno feature in the order

I'll say remix means ReMix. Mix that sources in a way that will put it in a new point of view... and Yes, I believe this is going to be hard - Not only will you have to mix, but you will also have to produce.
    I'm burning for you Quarter-mile pageant winner...drag queen!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 2,950
    Rep Power 2500000000

Montreal Canadiens Re: MiX iT#4a: ReMiX the MMRS theme : Q&A

...Songwriter: Aardvark...
    In fairness to the many exticulent contributions of the various members of Team Womb, the theme song has a shared writing credit between all of us. I sent in an idea (A FUCKING DEMO WHOSE TRACKS I NEVER THOUGHT WOULD SEE THE LIGHT OF FUCKING DAY LET ALONE END UP IN THE HANDS OF THE LIKES OF THIS LOT)
    and we built it around that motif.

Left exclusively up to me the song would have in no way shape or form turned out as well as it did.

Also, the guitar credits should make it clearer that Traz did the cool guitars and I did some weedle doodles that somehow made the final mix.

Cheers.
    FairnessinadvertisingVArk

Mind you, I did erase, re-record and remix the entire thing... hehehe

I actually almost arranged a successful tree incident that should have killed Slipperman. I can do it again.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

In fairness to the many exticulent contributions of the various members of Team Womb, the theme song has a shared writing credit between all of us. I sent in an idea (A FUCKING DEMO WHOSE TRACKS I NEVER THOUGHT WOULD SEE THE LIGHT OF FUCKING DAY LET ALONE END UP IN THE HANDS OF THE LIKES OF THIS LOT)
    and we built it around that motif.

Left exclusively up to me the song would have in no way shape or form turned out as well as it did.

Also, the guitar credits should make it clearer that Traz did the cool guitars and I did some weedle doodles that somehow made the final mix.

Cheers.
    FairnessinadvertisingVArk.
    This is all true. (Except for the erased a re-recorded part in white).

This post was actually posted before I was done entering the information. (That was my fault!)

I'll put up a post explaining the whole process of how this track was made. But, Aardy made the original demo, with that guitar theme, some loops, including an indian tambourine, and some scratch vocals, that he never in a million years thought I'd use any of (neither did I until I got into the mix). Trazan then came up with those brilliant chord changes on the turnaround. Goes invented those great melodies in what I call the big "Seal" moment, I think Trazan came up with the entire chord structure of the bridge (which is really a one time chorus), and Fulcrum invented that whole Pink Floyd thing that happened after the bridge. I came up with the idea of the tamboura intro with the shrieking Dali Llama, and I wrote some of the bridge lyrics and melody with Goes. And while I was mixing it, I had the idea to do the "I want my Mixerman" (although I shouldn't admit that, but as one who grew up in the beginnings of the MTV generation, you have to understand that's ridiculously tongue and cheek), and that idea came based on the crazy 5 bass solo at the end that malice laid down. I skyped Goes, and asked him to lay those parts down, while I had the mix sitting on the desk. I had my son's entire elementary band (who I did a recording of that day), yell, "who?" and "download!" And Slipperman, I don't know how the fuck he came up with some of those drum parts, but they were brilliant and beyond perfect for the track, and he did it flying semi-blind, as he was laying down drum parts very early on in the process.

There were a lot of great ideas flowing from everyone, and this was done as a Cape track. So, we started with a demo, and built up from there, knowing from the beginning that we were making the Mixerman Radio Show Theme Song. The entire time we went long with everything, knowing that I would cut it all down into a tight usable production.

There are a LOT of tracks, and if you want to get an idea of how you take way too many tracks, and make an arrangement that takes the best of everything, then this is a good exercise. Believe me, you're not trying to beat what we have. We love it. But this IS an exercise in making arrangement and form decisions. And since no one wanted to tie my hands, you'll have to actually pull out your compressors on this one, because the tracks don't go together like the last one did, where you can kind of just pull up the faders and you're well on your way to a good mix. This one must be worked.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

I'm burning for you Quarter-mile pageant winner...drag queen!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 2,950
    Rep Power 2500000000

This is all true. (Except for the erased a re-recorded part in white).

This post was actually posted before I was done entering the information. (That was my fault!)

I'll put up a post explaining the whole process of how this track was made. But, Aardy made the original demo, with that guitar theme, some loops, including an indian tambourine, and some scratch vocals, that he never in a million years thought I'd use any of (neither did I until I got into the mix). Trazan then came up with those brilliant chord changes on the turnaround. Goes invented those great melodies in what I call the big "Seal" moment, I think Trazan came up with the entire chord structure of the bridge (which is really a one time chorus), and Fulcrum invented that whole Pink Floyd thing that happened after the bridge. I came up with the idea of the tamboura intro with the shrieking Dali Llama, and I wrote some of the bridge lyrics and melody with Goes. And while I was mixing it, I had the idea to do the "I want my Mixerman" (although I shouldn't admit that, but as one who grew up in the beginnings of the MTV generation, you have to understand that's ridiculously tongue and cheek), and that idea came based on the crazy 5 bass solo at the end that malice laid down. I skyped Goes, and asked him to lay those parts down, while I had the mix sitting on the desk. I had my son's entire elementary band (who I did a recording of that day), yell, "who?" and "download!" And Slipperman, I don't know how the fuck he came up with some of those drum parts, but they were brilliant and beyond perfect for the track, and he did it flying semi-blind, as he was laying down drum parts very early on in the process.

There were a lot of great ideas flowing from everyone, and this was done as a Cape track. So, we started with a demo, and built up from there, knowing from the beginning that we were making the Mixerman Radio Show Theme Song. The entire time we went long with everything, knowing that I would cut it all down into a tight usable production.

There are a LOT of tracks, and if you want to get an idea of how you take way too many tracks, and make an arrangement that takes the best of everything, then this is a good exercise. Believe me, you're not trying to beat what we have. We love it. But this IS an exercise in making arrangement and form decisions. And since no one wanted to tie my hands, you'll have to actually pull out your compressors on this one, because the tracks don't go together like the last one did, where you can kind of just pull up the faders and you're well on your way to a good mix. This one must be worked.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Sure. That's exactly how I remember it going down!

Cheers,
    SelectivememoryVark

I actually almost arranged a successful tree incident that should have killed Slipperman. I can do it again.
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

Thanks for the history behind the theme. Now I am even more exited about the whole thing. No guarantees that we would actually get it right - Bloody excellent!

Hope we don't disappoint too much...
    Repentant Sinner Flat Earth Society Member
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,788
    Rep Power 536871078

im shitting myself already...

but thats a good thing
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 1,070
    Rep Power 536871073

hmmm ... I guess that would be my mistake then.

Sorry 'bout that ... thought the info was all there. Let me know what to change / add ...

Chris
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,553
    Rep Power 2500000000

hmmm ... I guess that would be my mistake then.

Sorry 'bout that ... thought the info was all there. Let me know what to change / add ...

Chris
    No. It was my fault. Not a big deal. Really. Everything is good Chris. Thanks for running this!

Mixerman
    #Mixerman and the Billionheir Apparent - A satire of the modern day music business

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653958

I just realized - how the fuck are we meant to do a REMIX, when the license is a "No Derivative Works" license? How does that work?
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 1,070
    Rep Power 536871073

I just realized - how the fuck are we meant to do a REMIX, when the license is a "No Derivative Works" license? How does that work?
    interpretation of no derivative.

I'm sure J. Cochran could build you a case in which it becomes clear that any regular mix event could be considered a derivative of the original.

The opposite is true as well ... it is perfectly possible to do a remix and stay within the guidelines of the NDW license.

Chris
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,528
    Rep Power 536871109

Chris,

to get it pretty straight (I think, meLoCo_go has asked a similar question some posts earlier):

Are we talking about remixing in a sense of doin' new background tracks or making a dancehall-smasher out of it or something like that

or

are we talking about doin' a different mix w/o changing the elements

or

am I just dumb and I don't get that 'no rules this time' - thingy ? (I'd appreciate an honest answer to the 1st question, not to the latter, thankU!)

Cheers,

Marco
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 1,070
    Rep Power 536871073

You are getting a bunch of tracks ... do with them as you see fit.

As far as the adding material / changing the style etc etc ...

Well ...

I would suggest we all stick to the tracks we are handed and use whatever material was recorded for us. I would like to think that would allow for enough creative ideas without having to add dance loops / arpeggiators / asking your sister to redo the vocals etc ...

Of course you can start arguing now what the 'no rules' stands for then ?

Good point ... those who participated in the past know that in previous mixing events we would suggest not to use timing tools / replacement tools etc ....
    For this round we decided to let you do whatever you think you need to do.

Again ... I would say do your stuff with whatever is handed to you. There's more then enough there to be creative with.

Chris