Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,144
    Rep Power 536871028

Default Quest for Sound vs. wide comfort zone

Hello guys,
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right sub-forum for this topic,
    but anyways...

Today I took a walk and came up with the question, whether the ultimate personalization of gear makes one ultimately dependable on very special gear.
    I'm a plank-spanker myself and not in any ways a pro,
    but after reading for example this thread I started to think that my own comfort zone regarding gear and stage situation is quite narrow.
    I don't obsess about special tubes in special positions,
    but I prefer to use my own stompboxes, amps and cabinets with my guitars.
    And I am dependent on hearing me clearly.

How about you?
    Do you have to have your completely personalized amps, selected tubes, "special fluid tone tempered speakers"™, chicken blood stained voodoo-cable with oxygen free copper thingamajigs to feel comfy on stage?
    Or do you just take any stock (say) Marshall with a 4x12 and feel alright?

Where is the line (if any) between "your own special sound" and painting you in a corner, dependency-wise?

All the best,
    the keks
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Saskatchewan
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 402653311

Default Re: Quest for Sound vs. wide comfort zone

I mostly play acoustic guitar, when I play anything anymore. About the only thing I'm insistent on is that my guitars are tuned correctly.

peace
    Little Green
    Chewed up and spit out by the starmaker machinery
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,921
    Rep Power 536871173

but after reading for example this thread I started to think that my own comfort zone regarding gear and stage situation is quite narrow.

Actually, the situation you describe is because your comfort zone is extremely wide.

In theory, you should be able to sound like you almost regardless of what guitar is around your neck, and what amp you've plugged into.

What this means is that essentially your sound is in your fingers...not in the entrail-drenched, fairy-dusted, shit-encrusted-claw-hammer stompbox-de-jour.

I remember reading an article years ago that had a quote from the guy who was Mr Van Halen's guitar tech (Matt Bruck?) who said that he'd heard Eddie playing at a party on a Tele through a Musicman combo...and the sound was still unmistakably EVH.

There is a word for those that absolutely must have their personalised signal path, and will accept no substitutions unless you want to see an epic tantrum...

They call themselves "tone purists".

We call those people wankers.

Cheers,
    Tim

PS. Put a stopwatch on how long it will take Cary to come by and say the complete opposite...

Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 5,151
    Rep Power 536871180

I'd just be happy with just any THD UniValve with NOS Telefunken 12AT7 in pre/driver and Mullard EL 34 in power stage and a CD quality foldback mix in my Dt 531s.

But that's just me. Wanker.
    Last edited by Knastratt; March 31st, 2009 at 03:33 AM.
    Silly Rabbit Needs new sheep...MFB stole the last one away!
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Seattle, WA
    Posts 109
    Rep Power 358335801

Why are there brown MnM's in this bowl?

I SAID NO BROWN MnM's!!!

Its all about the horny fish, dude.
    -Clicktrack
    Man from Glad understudy Backhoe therapist
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,144
    Rep Power 536871028

I remember reading an article years ago that had a quote from the guy who was Mr Van Halen's guitar tech (Matt Bruck?) who said that he'd heard Eddie playing at a party on a Tele through a Musicman combo...and the sound was still unmistakably EVH.
    Yeah, I know these myths, but I'm quit sure that they are, well, myths.
    Give EVH a L5 with high action, .015 gauge strings, a clean jazz amp and enjoy him playing 'eruption'.
    Or think of Jim Hall with an ESP and a cranked up Triple Recto.

His phrasing may resemble the player, if he is lucky enough, but that's all.
    No, this a-great-player-sounds-on-every-plank-like-him-crap is, well, crap actually.

I'm sure that this comfort zone depends on the player and I'm curious how others feel about this.
    And, how they attempt to strech their limits, in this regard.

All the best,
    the keks
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Tejas
    Posts 1,865
    Rep Power 0

The "wrong" tools can work against you, but a player can make them work if he wants to. Or he can be a prima donna and throw a tizzy if he wants. These golden ear princess and the pea types make me laugh, personally.

Comfort is a big factor. I like my gear. I know my gear. But if I've got six strings and a signal, it's up to me to tune it up and make it work. That's my bottom line.

Something like you mentioned, an L-5 with 15s, would present a physical impairment, I'll grant you that. Still, give me a few minutes to change the strings out and reset the action and I could make my gig if I wanted too.

And I'm not saying this because I think I'm some kind of badass. I just think I've got my priorities straight.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,848
    Rep Power 2500000000

His phrasing may resemble the player, if he is lucky enough, but that's all.
    No, this a-great-player-sounds-on-every-plank-like-him-crap is, well, crap actually.

All the best,
    the keks

Well...the keyword there was "great player".

You take the word "great" out of that, and you are most likely correct.

Oh...and the definition of "great player"....is one who knows what his sound is.

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,866
    Rep Power 536871071

Oh...and the definition of "great player"....is one who knows what his sound is.

...and achieve that sound no matter what the tools at his disposal.

Similar thing goes for mixing, theology methinks.
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook