Thread: Time for re-introduction

Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

Default Time for re-introduction

I'm sorry for being late to the party, but I'm kinda slow and I have a certain feeling it's time to re-introduce ourselves. Well, those of us who can, of course. The rest are excused.

I know we're all at different stages in the industry/creative processes, but nevertheless. I hope I don't have to urge that I really like/love/hate this place and as thankful I am about MM letting us access it - please go fuck yourselves!

I know many people by reputation. (Hell I even spent 2 weeks figuring out who MM is - I respect your decision and I'll keep the "secret" safe - but call me vain.)

So I'll go first.

I'm a 46 yo male caucasian (75% swede and 24% finnish with a drop of russian within), with a sweet tooth for A minor, "Nordic sadness" music. Don't get me wrong - I love great music in any and every genre. I love Nessun dorma by Björling, Pavarotti or Potts as much as Detroit 90's techno.

I have been recording music since the age of 7, when I got my first tape-recorder. I took a recording class with Åke Eldsäter (former bassist with Ola and the Janglers and a personal friend of Bruce Swedien) in 1983 and was appointed to build and run a studio in a small town of Sweden for a few years.

I managed to record a few cult records with a punk band called "Avskum" and was a FOH of a decent heavy-rock band called "Motorcity Madhouse" for a coupla years. I did, however, quit the trade when I picked up this aversion towards guitarrists that were anally obscessed with a "much too loud" volume approach when it came to stage appearance. I actually left my job position during a concert in Oslo where the manager asked why the singer wasn't heard through the music - and I answered: "That's because the guitarrists play too loud on stage! Then I quit.

I've been a song writer during the time. Not a famous one - but a content one during the process, and I'm about to release a record based on songs I wrote during the break of the 90's. I positively HATE the process since I'm dependant of various contributers around the world since I let people "adopt" my songs, giving them full access to interpret my songs anyway they wish.

5 years ago I realized I'm heavily electrosensitive and had to escape modern societey. I did, however, manage to electrosanitize my entire equipment allowing me to stay on course. Some of the equipment weren't possible to shield - so I had to sell it off. But I'm still maintaining a high-end, ideal, record studio with excellent gear (and a brilliant sound).

I really don't care whether people like my songs or not - I can't write any others. But I do have a small fan base who think my songs are "the best crying" songs ever.

To summariae - I wanna know who you are. Don't be shy.

Sticky, please?
    D minor, the saddest of keys! Holistic Hooligan
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Belgium
    Posts 813
    Rep Power 536871066

Default Re: Time for re-introduction

Alright, I'll play

I'm 31, male from Belgium, home of the best chocolate and of a few brave politicians who dare to call the pope a liar. I am the guitarist of the band Starfucker who won the first and second to last Womb Madness band contest. I love fries, pizza and anything with lots of chocolate. Don't drink, don't smoke, veggie.

I like guitar music. People see me as a punkrock guy but I love most kinds of music. I'm a fan of Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Refused,...

The first instrument I played AFAICR was a ukulele. At age 11 my mom sent me to music school where I had music theory and piano lessons. When I was 17 I picked up the guitar and taught myself how to play. A little later my dad bought a 4-track Fostex that I used to record my band.

When the time came to choose a career, I decided to go for AE because I was told that there is no career in playing guitar. I went to the SAE in Rotterdam and interned at a small demo studio. When I got out, I had to forget most of what they thought me and learn what recording really is about. I then interned in a pro studio and picked up a few things. I also met Malice there.

By that time things started to roll for the band and we had the chance to record with Ronald Prent a few times in his API Vision room and later with Huub Monstermixer who is now producing our first album at Motormusic where I interned. This means that my AE career is put on hold. I occasionally record other artists but not as much as I would like.

In the meantime I got into songwriting and arranging. I made a few demos for a girl that Chris Lambrechts was recording so that's how I met him irl.

So right now I am focusing on my career as a musician which means I do dishes to survive. I would love to record more but it's difficult to combine. I have a cool Logic, MOTU, Genelec setup at home which I use primarily for my own demos.

Here's a few links to my bands
    Starfucker myspace (I play GTR)
    Homer myspace (I play Bass)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts 1,691
    Rep Power 536871095

I'm a 49 year old beach bar band bassist and guitarist, been playing gigs and playing with tape recorders and then computer recording since my first gig in 1975. I took some recording studio classes 30 years ago, and produced my college punk band's EP in a pretty cool 8-track studio in 1987.

More recently, about five years ago I recorded and mixed my band's CD (sales up in the hundreds!) and three years ago a CD for another local band (my nephew's). Haven't been very active as a recordist since then, other than my participation on CAPE teams...

Cheers, Tim

edited to add: much to my surprise, I actually make half my income as a working musician, averaging around a hundred gigs a year...
    Last edited by Tim Armstrong; April 7th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Yes, I'll have another beer, thanks.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871252

I forgot to write I play keyboard, bass, guitar and drums well enough and are currently working on my singing chops. I'm constantly pissed off I didn't take up any woodwind/brass but I can however do a decent traverse flute.

I also love to spend infinite amounts of time to get the sounds where I want them. I also love mixing stuff I didn't track.

Apart from 4 years of classic piano (God, hated it) I am entirely autodidact. Haven't played to any music except my own. Stubborn capricorn!
    Last edited by Knastratt; April 7th, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Why not?
    President of local Trekkie club. Reprobate
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871068

Nice one Knas,

I've been doing music since I was 8. I play keys and gtr.

My mum and dad tried to get me to enroll in a performing arts school at 11. I declined on the basis that it looked a bit ghey.

I went on my first tourbus at 16 selling T shirts for one of Earl Slick's bands!

After exploring a lot of blind alleys I got my first major record deal at 22.

I had just enrolled in recording school one month before signing. Fame beckoned - I was young and full of vim so I left.

I did some world tours, had some minor international hits. 5 years later and after some 2000 gigs since I started, I decided to hang up the axe and get behind the glass.

After a year of recording 101 with a close engineer friend, I decided I should get a job at a demo studio and find out what it's really like.

I recorded the general public and enjoyed the experience initially. So much so, I decided to build my own commercial demo studio in 2004.

Around this time I got my first job writing library music - this was a fabulous job that ticked alot of boxes for me. No fame, no name, no interviews, no gigs, no recording yet another bunch of grime kids - just making music and getting paid. Great.

It kind of made my mind up for me. Running a recording studio takes total commitment. My heart is not in being a frontline businessman, I like making music too much.

I sold my studio just about breaking even in 2007 and haven't looked back.

I've graduated a bit - I now do bespoke music for TV and Film. I was lucky enough to get some music in a major Hollywood film this year.

With regards to engineering I still wrestle with the question - "how much do I really need to know about this?" The answer is often "still more than you think" when I hear my mixes.

I draw the line at learning electronics, however.

My headspace is finite, these days.

I am 37. I don't think I know anyone on this forum in real life, although I wouldn't rule it out.
    Last edited by paulie; April 7th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    Cheers,

Paulie.
    Plays in Winger cover band Michigan J. Frog
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 742
    Rep Power 536871051

Cool thread! great idea!

I'm male 34.

My first musical experience was with a small electronic keyboard that my brother received as a kid, I must have been about 5 I found that if I played only the black notes I could just about improvise a tune.

At the age of about 7 I can remember singing along to "Danny boy" whilst I franticly pedalling on my parents pianola. I really wanted to learn to sing but for some reason didn't dare ask, probably a bloke hangup thing. So I asked for piano lessons instead.

3 years piano, 3 years trumpet/trombone music theory.

I got my first guitar at the age of 12 and started teaching my self, then had a couple of years of lessons with a rock guitarist.

I have been using the guitar as a way to meditate ever since.

I got seriously in to recording at around age 15 to 17 but for some reason it never occurred to me that I could do it as a job.

I left school with no qualifications after having a lot of laughs and had no direction or guiding force.

At 19 I left England and my bar job this was in essence to escape the country's more than dubious medical practises!

So with a 100 pounds in my pocket a rucksack and a guitar, I left for Turkey. I eventually got work on a luxury motor yacht working for an extremely rich Turkish man, after a couple of years he employed me as a photographer, as he conveniently worked in advertising, I did this in Istanbul for a while but I was at the time not ready for the situation, not feeling comfortable I left Turkey for France.

I've worked in France as a photographer and as a painter, painting the enormous luxury yachts whilst there in the yard (like painting cars except there 50 to 100 m long).

A few years back I rediscovered my passion for recording. So I dumped the girlfriend, took a college course, and have been working on and off in the audio field ever since. Including live sound set-ups and as an assistant in a studio.

I'm seem to be evolving a studio here in France and hope to one day make my living from this.

I'm getting a band together at the moment for the fun, and would to this day still love to sing its on my list of things to learn to do!

I'm genuinely happy when I'm learning something this I believe is why I love recording, the learning curve never seems to end.

This is also why I love this site!

Thanks to all who contribute!

Cheers

Iain
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871211

Ok my turn...I'm 49 and was born in southern Ohio USA. I have been deeply in love with music since I was two. I'm the son of a minister, so I started out playing in church at about 7 or 8, mostly guitar, but also some piano as well. I played saxes in marching, concert and jazz bands in high school and formed my first combo my freshman year. Since then I've played thousands of gigs ranging anywhere from musical theatre to naked swinger sex parties, all as a mediocre rhythm guitar player. I first dabbled in radio in the late '70's working a local station in Portsmouth Ohio where I did everything from cleaning the toilets to selling spots. I was happily married from 1984-1989 before I lost my soul mate Amy to cancer. To keep from going crazy, I followed the Grateful Dead around from 1990 till Jerry died seeing over 400 shows. In 1997 I went to the Recording Workshop and studied engineering. After that I moved to Huntington Wva, working for WKEE-FM as a producer and board operator, then to WHIO radio in Dayton, Ohio doing the same. After my dad's open heart surgery in 2006, I moved back to the area working for Clear Channel in Chillicothe Ohio where I'm the overnight news and sports anchor for a group of 7 stations. I tend to overdrink and overeat, and enjoy the company of women......nuff said....
    Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Jersey City
    Posts 541
    Rep Power 536871057

Okay here goes....

I am a 37 year old female. My mother sent me for piano lessons at age 12 and I played for 5 years. I got sick of the constant practise and decided that I was not going to be a concert pianist and took up field hockey in the high school team instead. I was also through elementry and high school in the choir, so I know a little something about singing too.

I have always been into music though. I got my first 7 inch single at age 5 and have been an avid collector and Punter (a person that goes to see live music) since I could get into clubs...about age 15.

I made a career for 15 years or so in Financial Markets, but in my spare time working at music festivals and shows. I moved to Melbourne (Australia) in 2000 and started writing for music magazines with my girlfriend Shelley. We would go and see live music 5 nights a week sometimes.

In 2003, a musician friend turned me onto the Mixerman Diaries. After reading these I joined up here as I had some comments about them. Here I met Slipperman. We dated for 2 years and then got married. I moved to the United States and am now running a big multi-room recording studio. I am also learning some of the engineering too as well as managing the office.
    I'm burning for you Quarter-mile pageant winner...drag queen!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 2,950
    Rep Power 2500000000

Montreal Canadiens Re: Time for re-introduction

Okay here goes....

I am a female. I took up field hockey so I know a little something about singing too. I got my first 7 inch at age 5 and have been avid since.

I made 2000 with my girlfriend Shelley. We would go 5 nights a week sometimes.

In 2003, a musician friend turned me on. I joined up here as Slipperman for 2 years and then got married. I am now running as well as managing.
    NTTAWWT!

Cheers,
    RetardVark

I actually almost arranged a successful tree incident that should have killed Slipperman. I can do it again.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Oblivion
    Posts 555
    Rep Power 536871057

(Warning - long post - if you want to check out the Reader's Digest version, skip to the last two paragraphs)

I'm 45 yrs old (turning 46 on the 16th of this month), male, 6' 4" and about 290lbs at the moment. I was always a fit, reasonably athletic lad growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area until these past ten years or so of sitting at the wrong kind of desk. Starting to lose the extra lbs, but it's gonna take a while to get to where I need to be. Currently residing in southern New Hampshire, where my wife is from. I'm still a California boy, though, and I imagine we'll end up there again, someday.

I've been involved with music for as long as I can remember. Started with the piano at a real young age, but never really took to it like I now wish I had. Got my first guitar at the age of 11, and that was all she wrote. Been playing ever since.

My very modest success as a musician occurred in the mid-late 80's, when my band had some real solid success on the LA club scene and also spent some fun time in Japan. I was also a guitar performance major in college, but eventually realized the music degree wasn't going to help me in the rock and roll world, so I switched my studies to electrical engineering, figuring I might end up designing/building gear if the musician role didn't work out. I ended up with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering.

I eventually started thinking about an AE career where I could still be immersed in music without needing to be on the road quite as much as would be required as band member. I'd always been interested in the technical side of things, and my favorite place to spend time in the world is in a great control room, so AE seemed like a good fit. I started working in a real nice but small facility (2", LFAC, cover of MIX mag) in Linden, UT, at first mostly recording my own band's stuff, and eventually working on other sessions. I was able to pull out the guitar every now and again for some sessions, so that was fun. For a while there, I had free run of the facility, 24/7, and it was a great experience (until the owner fell into a serious mental illness, and that was that).

Rather than pursue other AE opportunities, I took the more financially secure rout (too chicken to make a go at the AE career with a family) and opted for a career in the computer industry, eventually winding up in law school so that I could develop a career as a patent attorney. That's what I'm doing now, but music is always at the forefront of my thoughts. I have a nice, but small, studio set up here at the house, and that's also where I do my legal work. I think I probably have the best sounding law office around!

My band is still technically together, and my two band-mates, who I've known since junior high school, are like brothers to me. We're not getting enough music done at the moment, though, but we're working on some stuff.

"My experience has been that people who perceive a conflict between science and spirituality generally know very little about one or the other. Often they know very little about both." - Bob Ohlsson

"Real men do hard things." - Anonymous - Don't know who said it first, but I like it.
    Comfortably dumb Wedding song was "Freebird"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location San Diego
    Posts 1,284
    Rep Power 536871081

I was born at a very young age.

I like my clothes black, my coffee with cream and my sheets white.
    I have some amazing friends on here, many of whom I've met in person.
    I like humans more than machines.
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,262
    Rep Power 536871061

I'm 27, living in Germany. I am a music teachers son, so I couldn't escape music. At age three I heard the complete Ring of the Nibelung with a music course my father had invited, at four or five I got my first cello, and learned that thoroughly for nearly 15 years.

As long as I remember I was able to play some campfire guitar, and at the age of 14 I had a severe Heavy Metal-phase, and bought my first Electric.
    After not going to conservatoire with the cello I put this thing in his case about 10 years ago, and refused to touch it for a long period, turned to choir singing and sung in different ensembles music from the 14th century to modern music as a tenor or altus,
    did some touring and sung on few CDs, one cut at the WDR, a large German broadcasting station.

I enrolled for Mathematics and still have some months to go before passing my Diploma.
    On a workshop at age 17 I fell deeply in love with that thick, smooth and lush jazz guitar sound, and I try to tame this beast ever since, with varying effort.

Anyway, just for fun and for not to miss an opportunity I'm gonna to attend entrance examination for conservatoire with jazz guitar, because I want to be a musician and guitar teacher, to be able to share my passion and experience.
    I've fiddled with some recording at home,
    but didn't get any far up to now

All the best,
    the keks
    Craves piCklEmiLk Got pregnant after eating spermicidal jelly
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location At the top o' the tower
    Posts 429
    Rep Power 536871049

I'm 45, living in Oregon's Willamette valley. As a small child, I used to sit under the grand piano while my mother played. The sound was nearly overwhelming but I liked it. My father was a hi-fi hobbyist and professional musician (he avoided going overseas in WWII by playing in the army band). He played guitar, sax, electroharp, and glock. These days, he only plays the guitar for fun (gave up his union card about 10 years ago). During the 50's, 60's, and 70's, he built a few nice systems so I grew up listening to better stuff than most of my friends. Both my parents bought records, my mom mostly classical, dad loved jazz and big band. I'm the youngest of 4 kids, when the parental units were off somewhere, my older siblings would blast rock on my dad's system so I got a taste for that too.

As my dad upgraded his gear, the old stuff would trickle down through my brothers and finally to me. I started to take the equipment apart and eventually figured out how to put it back together. A lifelong interest in electronics was born.

One day my elementary school class visited a radio station. They put us in the production studio and we recorded a couple of liners. I was fascinated by the process, and didn't want to leave when it was time to go. I suddenly knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. As it happened I ended up working at that same station (KPFK-FM) for 12 years.

These days I single parent my little boys and work as a contract engineer for (mostly) non-commercial radio stations. I also did an 8 year stint as chief engineer at a state owned TV station, so I know that world a bit as well.

Out in the building behind my house, a studio is coming together. One day it will be ready for paying clients, right now I just play around with it when I can find the time.
    analog error is like having your burrito accidentally smeared with guacamole, where digital error is like having your burrito accidentally smeared with manure.

-dwoz
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Uni freakin' Corn
    Posts 1,279
    Rep Power 536871081

Hi, I'm Blackie

My family still calls me Kevin but that just confuses me.

I play guitar and bass. Neither of which well, but I like to believe that my enthusiasm makes up for my formidable lack of skills. If you hang around here long enough, I will probably piss you off and then later make amends. Or not.

I take great pride in being the the first in this forum to have a thread deleted based upon my fuckwitterish style comments. You can't read it. It's not there and that is for the best.

I will be back to embarrass myself later possibly while quoting one of your posts. It's not personal, it's just what I do.

Hi, I'm Blackie
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,383
    Rep Power 536871100

This is fun. Let me expound upon my own self...

First I want to say that despite the short time I've been frequenting the Womb I have learned a lot, not to mention applied what I've learned to my work and have improved my skills dramatically. That being said, a great big thanks is in order to all the fellow wombians who have generously shared their knowledge. You guys are legends and I am proud to be here and take part.

Me? I'm a male and I'm 29. Well, almost 30. I've been playing music since the tender age of 8 and decided early on that it was to be my chosen path. Like most of us, I'm sure, I was a musician first and that inspired me to learn the craft simply to record my own music.

I was born a mongrel in South Africa in 1979, and being from a caucasian European background, you will find German, Irish, French and Dutch blood running within my veins. This common situation gives many of us South Africans an identity crisis so all in all I would say that despite the variety of my heritage, I am 100% South African. It was during my formative years here that I learned to play the piano and the drumset, which I still continue.

In 1994 my family, being converted Mormons, immigrated to Utah in the United States where I had the privilege of going to High School. I took advantage of the extensive music programmes offered at school and graduated with and emphasis in music. I did it all, jazz band, accapella choir, percussion, orchestra, and independant study. I owe a lot to the yanks. Although, despite the fact most of my musical training was jazz and classical, my interests shifted to the guitar, which I would still consider my main instrument today.

When I graduated I didn't go on to college yet, mainly because I couldn't afford it, but rather did odd jobs and continued my pursuit of a musical career. It was during this time that I bought a Sony minidisk 4-track and had my first experience with recording. I offered a demo service to the local bands and got some great experience making the most of a meager amount of gear. It's amazing how much you learn when you're forced to work with almost nothing.

Whilst playing the local scene with my band I met two guys who were opening up a studio, ex-pro-wrestler Maxx Payne and my now great friend Luciano Pesci. They offered me a position at the studio if I came along and helped build the facility so I took the deal wide-eyed and willing. I quickly found that I had a great knack for audio and, thanks to the mentorship of Maxx, I was made head engineer after a few short months of the studio opening. I ended up with quite a few albums under my belt and a whole lot of experience. We started a record label, recorded tons of bands, and signed our own. Although, just like any business, it was not easy and because of certain unnamed reasons, the studio closed down.

During the last era of the studio I had started going to college where I pursued my music degree, minoring in comparative religion. I managed to complete two years of my bachelors but at this time I got a call from a friend of mine whose band, the Used, had gotten signed to Reprise and asked me if I would be interested in being their touring guitarist. I thought about it for one hot second and came back with a resounding YES! Hmmm, stay here and learn or realise my dreams? The answer was clear.

Next thing I know I'm on a plane to LA for a week to sit in on sessions for their first album. The producer was John Feldmann, a great guy and the vocalist/guitarist of one of my favorite bands ever, Goldfinger, so I was in LA-LA-Land. The thing that struck me the most was that he recorded the whole album (with the exception of the strings and some vocals, which they did in Olympic Studios, London) in his guest bedroom. Anyways, this was my first taste at the big time and ended up learning a lot and befriending a lot of people who I had grown up admiring.

Back to Utah and anxiously trying to finish my studies early. Finally the time came, on a cold February morning, to leave for San Francisco to start touring. We toured for about a year straight. I lost count at around the 280 show mark but it was completely constant. All in all I would say we had 2 weeks off during that whole year. We ended up touring with all of my favorite bands and were the first band ever to play both the Warped Tour and Ozzfest back to back. Probably the biggest highlight for me in my playing career was opening for Ozzy in front of 28 000 people at the Pepsi Center in Denver. I'll take that with me to my grave.

After that blissful year I ran into immigration problems where I was forced to leave the band. All good things come to an end and after all, it wasn't my band, so I took it in stride. I played my last show in Salt Lake City at the annual X96 Big Ass Show in front of my peers and bowed out gracefully.

I amassed enough funds for one more semester in college but once the money was gone I was forced to immigrate back to South Africa. This was after ten long years. Funny how life works because this was one of the best decisions I ever made. So, I moved back to Johannesburg, where I worked as a waiter for a year until I met another studio owner who was looking for an engineer. I have been working here ever since.

A lot of the initial work I got were from fans of the Used who seek me out because of my association. Hey, whatever put bread on the table, so no complaints here. These days I do anything from Gospel, to Metal, to R&B, to African Traditional, to Jazz. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. I still play music but my real passion lies with audio. I had my taste of the big time, am wanting to settle down (god, I'm getting married in June), and audio is the way.

Hope it wasn't too long-winded but I really enjoyed sharing that with you.

Thanks again guys! You guys are legends!

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871098

Male Human - 33, seeks studio.

Born and bred South-African I share most of Mo's root ancestry, 'cept that I also have some British and German mixed in for good measure...

My affair with music started at home, on my Dad's Akai reel-to-reel recorder, age 3, and progressed though choirs, playing piano, and finally a couple of years ago into recording.

I am a member of a project choir, and the project at the time was JS Bach's St John Passion, with soloists and orchestra - One main performance, Easter 2005. And you guessed it - no recording was to be made because of cost and the over supply of good Bach recordings.

So... got hold of a used Sony minidisk recorder, built my own microphones and preamps (I am a clinical engineer by day) and the first recording was shockingly good. The choir hired me for the very next recording project!

Since then I have built up a fully functional project studio, and mixing / mastering room. I don't get as much work as I would like to get at the moment, but it has been very rewarding. So far this forum is the best I have found on-line in my constant drive to learn more of the trade which adopted me so suddenly.
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,193
    Rep Power 536871078

Male Human - 33, seeks studio.

Born and bred South-African I share most of Mo's root ancestry, 'cept that I also have some British and German mixed in for good measure...

My affair with music started at home, on my Dad's Akai reel-to-reel recorder, age 3, and progressed though choirs, playing piano, and finally a couple of years ago into recording.

I am a member of a project choir, and the project at the time was JS Bach's St John Passion, with soloists and orchestra - One main performance, Easter 2005. And you guessed it - no recording was to be made because of cost and the over supply of good Bach recordings.

So... got hold of a used Sony minidisk recorder, built my own microphones and preamps (I am a clinical engineer by day) and the first recording was shockingly good. The choir hired me for the very next recording project!

Since then I have built up a fully functional project studio, and mixing / mastering room. I don't get as much work as I would like to get at the moment, but it has been very rewarding. So far this forum is the best I have found on-line in my constant drive to learn more of the trade which adopted me so suddenly.
    Clearly not to be trusted.

Talk to Hans Ringer. I can almost hear those Panser tanks revving up
    "There is no movement in golf that cannot be made more difficult through diligent study and practice." - Leslie Nielson

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com
    Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 134
    Rep Power 536871022

Well, this is NOT a re-introduction for me. This is just an introduction. I have been reading this forum for about 2 years. I'm just mostly inter(net)-verted, but I promised myself that I would try to converse a bit. I'm at the point where I can take the constructive posts that will be directed at my dumbass when I need help.

I'm 35 years old and have been involved in music since I was 6 (with a later mentioned and well needed break). I am from a family deeply rooted in music. My mother, a professional singer for as long as I remember, has toured around the world in large and small choirs. The first time I went to Carnegie Hall was to see her perform. That hall is where I fell in love with the sound of a room. My father plays guitar and my younger sister is an up and coming singer who studies with some of the best voice teachers in the world.

I started out playing around with a banjo and had some fun with it. But the elementary school I went to did't offer banjo so I chose to play the violin. My mother did not want to subject herself to the first few years of her son learning violin so she chose trumpet for me. I started lessons with the most demanding teacher I have ever met. I was being taught in the classic Italian style. I respected him and really hated him by the end of college. The guy could listen to my chops and tell me which day I didn't practice 100%, un-freaking-canny. Looking back I wish that I had taken his advise to heart more and not just to the ego. I started playing professionally when I was 8 and that continued until my break ( I promise I'll tell ya's why).

During my high school days I had an internship with a famous symphony conductor. I started to look at the big picture and see that I really loved that control. I held the internship for 4 years. I loved the control that conducting took. it started to make playing a lot less enjoyable for me.

I recorded my first album on 2 blackface ADATs (rented) that I had no idea how to work and some old 16 track desk (looking back on it, it may have been stolen). I studied the manuals for 2 weeks until I had enough of an understanding of how to make them lock and go. Then the band rented them. I learned a ton on that demo. And most important I learned that I loved that recording stuff!

So, what did I do?? I freaked out because I felt like I wasted everyone who helped my with my trumpet playing (my teacher's time, my parent's money, the support I got from everyone, etc....) and threw it away. I wasn't strong enough to tell people that I had fallen in love with something else. I left it all and went to sea on U.S. submarines where I learned electronics, navigation, and intel collection. I did not look at an instrument or recording gear for 7 years. I took an assignment in Japan where I ended up meeting a guy that needed a trumpet player for his band. I decided to brush off the horn and give it a go. I played a few gigs (this was my first experience playing ska) and had a lot of practice. We played some really fun gigs and then started recording an album and somehow I was the guy that elected to mix it. WHAT FUN! I really love doing this! I got a few other mixing gigs out of this (using whatever people had available as I had nothing).

So, I made up my mind. I left the military and went to an audio school. I did very well and moved to Seattle. I worked with a few friends on their stuff while I was interning at a small studio. I interned there and before I was ready I was given the opportunity to take over a small corporate studio. Managing, engineering, chief cook and bottle washing for a voice over studio. The main client is the parent company.

3 years later I still work there. We produce a few hundred radio commercials a week. I just record the voice overs and mix in music beds. Economic conditions have forced us to sell the fantastic studio that we had and go super small. From 2700 square feet to two 8'x10' rooms.

I've been gathering my own gear and I am starting to do some mixes out of my house. I am producing a metal band as well as a great little folk outfit.

I think I've put the trumpet away for good this time. But I am having a riot learning to play percussion (I'm just working rudiments and basics). My son at 5 is fascinated with drums and we are considering getting him and I an electronic kit.

I got to track some great musicians and cool bands while we had our rooms.

Now back to your regularly scheduled re-introductions.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Can't drive 55!
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 99
    Rep Power 231066415

And now for something completely different---Also not a reintroduction; I'm a 44 year old pediatrician and long time lurker here( damn that doesn't sound right coming after pediatrician)..this is my sane and quiet refuge from all things science/medicine/family if that gives any indication at all.....I'm actually a way latecomer to music, only really getting into things about ten years ago;music has always been inside/outside/all around me all my life but I never really thought myself good enough( long story best saved for another day) to be a creator in this sense. always loved to sing , got hijacked to front a local band of doctors doing charity stuff and fell in love with music all over again; next phase involved nurturing the geek in me that was also exploring computers, built and spec'd a computer primarily for music and have been playing with recording since then; don't own much but I can use what I got.In the process of learning ran across the old forums and have been hooked since prior to womb days.My schedule doesn't permit regular lessons but I'm trying to coach myself to competence with a guitar and keybords( stupid, I know but thats what I have for free time). back now to all the professionals here.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871211

Welcome, guys!!! But you noobies have to buy some beer and drop it off either at my house in Ohio or at Blackie's in Texas, whichever is closer....it's part of the membership fee...
    oh and ParamB, since you're a pediatrician I sure you can find me some Flintstones Chewable Morphine, our drug store doesn't carry it anymore.......
    Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album