Thread: Time for re-introduction

Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Dec 2009
    Location Belgium (yes it really exists)
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 204616603

Default Re: Time for re-introduction

Ok, hi there...

I'm Daniel, 27 years old, loooooove music and that's all I ever wanna do.

I'm Irish, born in Vancouver, Canada, and living in Belgium for about 20 years.
    Growing up on mainly hip hop, so called "R'n'B" and reggae music, I was kind of closed minded as a teenager.
    At 17 I dropped traditional school because I had no interest in biochemistry or law (that's all they offer up here in secondary school apart from P.E.), and went to Ireland to do a year and a half sound engineering and music technology course, hoping to come back and make beats, be cool and all that...
    But the course opened my mind to sooooooo much stuff, whether it be classic rock, metal, Drum'n'Bass, soul, real R'nB, and so I returned to Belgium with my diplomas, enlightened, and decided to work hard and set up my own studio.........

This is where it went assways....

To make lots of money fast, I went the "Night Barman" route... I lost touch with my new found ambition and enjoyed a lifestyle of debauchery, never seeing sunlight, and eventually depression...

Anyway, 8 years later, and after having been the live engineer for a reggae/hip hop/lots of other stuff band composed of some of my closest friends, which fell apart becaus each member was fighting for attention, I decided to set out on my own to be the best engineer in a country where when you say you are studying sound engineering, people reply "so you wanna be a DJ?"... Many slaps have hit many faces....

I signed up at the School of Audio Engineering here in Brussels, Belgium because they have a good reputation of pushing you... And I vouch for that reputation. It's a very small school, where everyone knows everyone, and the teachers are top notch... I'm a year in, and doing lots of complementary research, mainly reading books, but I still feel a bit retarded when it comes to some stuff. But I'll get on top of that.

Not having much money (not even enough for an MBox2 mini and a couple of monitors), most, if not all my practical work is done at school. For the moment I'm reconstructing a french version of Orson Wells' "Treasure Island" audio book, with shit actors and sound effects that must exploit the maximum of the stereo field, all on Pro Tools. I'm also mainly working with recording musicians through a Tascam DM4800, and mixing down the tracks.
    The school just got an SSL desk (dunno which one) that should be set up by end of march, and I'll be doing my final exams and productions on that.

I've let go of drinking and living like a rockstar, and spend my time studying, practicing, and reading this forum.

Anyway, that's me. A bit of a slow learner I think, but I love what I do, and want to make a living out of it.

Nice to meet you all, talk to you soon

Daniel
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Location Madrid, Spain
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 60

Hi guys! I found this forum some time ago searching mixing information on internet and i was surprised about the tons of awesome stuff that can be found here! I´ve been entering here every now and then to read posts that i found interesting and, since that "every now and then" as become more and more frecuent I decided to sign up and here i am, introducing myself

I´m 29, from Madrid, Spain. I work as musician, composer, sound engineer and as mixer/producer of some local bands. I´ve been into music sonce i was 15 when i got my first spanish classical guitar. I took lessons for 3 years or so and then moved to electric guitar and after a year or so i joined my first band. I soon began to try to record and mix the songs of my bands so i mostly learned my self with the help of all the realted literature i could get my hands on ´til i did an official sound engineering course when i finished my high school studies. Although i´ve been mixing for personal pourposes many years, i began to mix and produce for money kinda recently, maybe a year and half. I made a humble home studio in one of the rooms of my home and here i am trying to find a place for me :P
    ...And thats pretty much the thing. So just saying congratulations for this great place and hope to see you around more often from now on

PS: I was very interested about the "capes" thing and the "mix it!" events, really great ideas :O
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Messner's missing toes
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 5,096
    Rep Power 536871178

Well, welcome to the bestest hang-out in the metaphysical hemisphere. We're out of beer but the views are fine. No Gabby, JG and Account4me - I was referring to Slippermans 9098i!
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Location Madrid, Spain
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 60

Well, welcome to the bestest hang-out in the metaphysical hemisphere. We're out of beer but the views are fine. No Gabby, JG and Account4me - I was referring to Slippermans 9098i!
    Thanx man! See you around ;-)
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Sketchy driving record
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Montreal, Canada
    Posts 584
    Rep Power 404509765

Geez! Is this my Wombian coming-of-age?? Hurrayyyy!

This is the year 2010 (using the Earthling religion-based time-keeping mechanisms), and I am a 38 year old cosmic joke. I was born and raised in the land of tacos, sun, and tanned lanscapes (no, not California).

From a very early age, I was constantly surrounded by music, courtesy of my parents, who have NOTHING to do with music besides being semi-active listeners. My earliest influences then would have to be Barry White, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Barry Manilow, and The Bee Gees (I said it before... my parents had NOTHING to do with music).

My first musical instrument was the Yamaha Plastic Flute (TM). An ingenious and affordable device all kids in my tribe need to undertake to be able to pass elementary school. I learned timeless tunes on it, such as the 4th movement to Beethoven's 9th symphony, and others. However, I found more rewarding turning on the radio and imitating the melodies I heard on my musical contraption, by ear. This earned me the warm applause of my mother, who was listening to my simple improvisation hiding behind me.

Later on, again, as a required element of my academic studies, I took some piano, which never went too far, really...

I didn't really get any serious interest in music until the age of 16 (using the same time-measuring system I referred to earlier in this message). I was at the time, starting high school. There was a billboard posted to explain the cultural activities available for the semester... so many interesting choices... chess... nahuatl poetry... acting (which I had done the semester before, after showing quite natural skills at it for many year... or so my mother would say...), and right at the bottom, written in tiny tiny letter (they apparently ran out of space in the billboard)... rock band. Hmmm... interesting... I could definitely do that. Since I've fooled around with piano before, I guess I could join as a keyboards player, and get rolling... yep, lets do that. So there I go, learn about MIDI, samplers, patches, etc.

But... fate would have different plans...

A friend of mine who spent his summer in the US, would come back with these new... 'things'. During his "Welcome Back" party, he showed them to us, and rising them up in the sky, said... "These are... See Dees!". See Dees? We said... Noooo!! "CD's!!". Aaaaahhh! Oooohhh!! Uuuhhh! Music contained in a format that was seemingly indestructible (myth to be debunked shortly). They also required a new "player" for us to... well... play them, which he fortunately also possessed (otherwise, it would've been a very short welcome party). So, we decide to start playing he's new See Dees, and suddenly, I was completely blown away by a noise I hear coming out of the speakers... whaaat is thaaat?? It took me some time to find out, but I finally got that the noise was being generated by a device seemingly known as "eeleectriic guiiitaaar", which had been introduced to me by Poison (there... I have admitted it publicly... sigh). So... electric guitar, eh? Fuck Keyboards! I'm doing THAT!! And that's it... I got a brand new cheap Fender knock-off from a friend, and my family would never see me again after lunch... for the next many years.

So, how did I end up dealnig with audio? Basically, because in one of my bands, I was the one dealing with recording our demos. Our first demo (for a rock band competition) was recorded in an abandoned building with a room covered in egg cartons. We recorded the whole band in a 4-track cassette recorder. We recorded drums, bounced everything to 1 track, then bass, bounce again, then guitars and keyboards, bounce, and finally vocals. All in 12 hours at night. While the band slept, I would 'mix' the whole thing down to 2-track. Done. After that, I kept recording everything I could. Mostly for my own nefarious purposes. Piles of demos, tracks, guitar doodling, you name it. MIDI and 4-track units were heaven. Until DAWs arrived...

I don't do music for a living (for that, I do 3D visual effects for films), but as many completely delusional internet-fed dreamers, hope to do so one day (okay... I really don't hope to, and actually don't give a shit about it... but I'd definitely enjoy doing so UNDER MY TERMS, BIT***S!!), which has led me to putting together my small basement studio, and releasing my first self-produced CD (out soon). I have generated 2 humans from my own cells, one of which has recently taken up the electric guitar... hhhmm... dunno what to make out of that...

And here I am today! I have no recollection of how I ended up in the Womb (which does worry me a bit, although I still have my 2 kidneys), but after lurking here a bit, I decided that this place contained the perfect balance of cynicism, knowlegde, and nice menus for me to join (unlike other G*audio S*forums, where people seem to mostly whine and cry). And here I am... neeext!!!
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Can burp the alphabet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 361
    Rep Power 536871021

I'm Ck. I have a small home studio in Colorado in my bbasement but have not done much work the last few years. I am one of the lone holdouts of Mac OS9 Pro Tools TDM users. I have a pretty cool but beat to hell Soundcraft 6000 56 channel/24 bus board. I only use it for preamps. I'm actually looking to trim down and run external converters and pre's instead but.. this $30,000 I cant even get away to trade me a 1000 bucks in gear for and i sure as hell aint gonna spend any more $$ on this hobby. I essentially gave up years ago playing that race. I am much more interested these days in my wife and kids, playing guitar, fixing up my 70 Cougar, and do database programming and analysis work.

I used to spend a lot of time at the old PSW Mixerman forum causing trouble debating politics in the bbasement. Man, those were CRAZY times. I have the fondest memories of us just beating the crap out of each other then picking up the phone and talking about real things and our common interests and passions. There are some truely amazing people I know on here. Selfless, amazing, Knowledgeable, cultered, and literate people that have helped me grow more than just musically. Friends that have honestly been there for me. This is going on 8-9 years here real soon too. Amazing

One day (with the permission of the accused and the consent of the king) it would be worth publishing a cronicles of the shit brigade. Not stirring up crap here, just saying. It was and is still is "classic" to me. In can bring me to TEARS in seconds just at the thouth of Slipperbeatings, Shotgun, Aardy, Rocker, CHESSMAN, Iomegaman, Socrates, Loudist going at it... Ok, stopping here because I cant possibly name all the names of the accomplices in the madness in this post alone. The bbasement was a sick social experiement engineered by a mad scientist to take a close knit group of people and turning them on each other like a pack of wild fricking animals. It got sick and wrong. I am glad to have avoided the Obama vs Hillary vs McCain vs tea party vs 9|| conspiracy debates last year. I am sure I would have succeeded in turning what friends i still have left into enemies. Ok KIDDING because I ALWAYS took it with a grain of salt. Just like i have learned to take life. That people may have differences and may never come into terms with why but it's that unique human percpective that drives us to be the individuals that we are.

That's all I'm gonna say about that. Pretty lame i know but... i'm reflecting on the past which in itself I have learned makes us who we are. Maybe thats why they say that "you are not defined by who you are, but who you once were." or something like that, some bullsht I read in Aesops Fables.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Can't believe it's not butter
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location hammertown
    Posts 178
    Rep Power 83886177

Where to start!?!

First - ckerian - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I also have a fully functioning OS9/PT 5.1.3 TDM system that I use and abuse on a daily basis, SO THERE!!!

Jay, 42 yrs. old, happily married fella with 3 boys, 11, 4 and 1. Tho it's been 4 yrs., it still seems like a recent move to the south, close to Toronto.

I started formal music training at 4 (keys) and soon progressed to other instruments. I recognized having perfect pitch at 10 (I had my sister sit at the piano and play notes while I identified them from the kitchen). When I was in grade 7, I was put on the tuba in band class (familiar story, ain't it!) and somehow, that instrument has stuck to me my whole professional life. I completed a performance undergrad (McGill) and after graduation ('90) played in a Cdn. Orchestra for a spell, but soon after took off to the Yukon for my brother's wedding in '91, and ended up staying almost 15 yrs. I played tuba for a living (in MANY bands) while there, toured nationally/internationally with a few acts, and eventually branched out into audio-related work. I've since worked almost 2 decades of recording/producing artists, composition for theatre, dance and film/video, audio post, directing live audio at corporate presentations/TV, jingles, location sound, you name it - anything to bring me back to my roots, which was a kid toying with recording on my Sony TC-788-4 and playing all the instruments.

I still own a wide variety of gear: most of my digital realm is old and antiquated, but I have a good stash of hi-quality mics and O/B gear that will serve me long after the next SW/plugin comes out and soon is mothballed. I choose to not work in the current music recording trends - no AT/Beat Detective used, and I remain a stalwart of LIVE PERFORMANCES not hacked/dissected crap. I might not get rich from this pursuit, but it's my realm of expertise and fulfillment.

Now, I'm back to gigging regularly, and get stuck with musicians that don't have 2 nickels to rub together for a recording budget. I'm considering doing a grad degree after my wife finishes her studies as a GP (the reason for moving south), and still recording, tho mostly in remotes and live stuff. Luckily I get to work with great musicians, and that is fulfilling, tho not financially anymore. Most of my time is spent raising 2 young boys and working after they go to sleep...

Tried to keep it brief - carry on!
    Last edited by plughead; March 31st, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

Greetings-n-shit.

I'm Kelly, born at a very young age, married a great set of boobies and found out there was a damn good woman in there too. BONUS!
    Happily married for 20 years, got 2 kids, 4 dogs and a turtle.
    Been playin 9 fingered guitar for 30 years, bass for almost as long, drums and keys for around 5, maybe 6.
    Built a studio in my garage about 10 years ago and have been hooked ever since. The coolest part is that my wife still encourages me in this whole thing.

Anyway, found you guys thru GS and a Fletcher post. Since I've always likes Fletcher, I figured I'd swing by and see what all the hub-bub was about.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location A3X
    Posts 1,853
    Rep Power 536871070

Maybe thats why they say that "you are not defined by who you are, but who you once were."
    You've wandered into the online audio equivalent of a Black Panther meeting, dressed like a Yuppie golfer, remarking aloud that you wonder if black people really do like fried chicken, watermelon and grape soda.
    -Slipperman

You apparently haven't read 5% of this place and know nothing of the denizens who lurk and teach or you're just begging to have a cinder block pounded up your ass with a shovel.
    -bbkong

Use the Hate, Love is nice to have, but Hate is more important than air.
    -dwoz
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,887
    Rep Power 536871071

I'm malice,

I'm an underemployed though fairly successful producer in France and Belgium, I'm a taurus, I eat organic food, I like long walk on the beach and I hope that the world will be free from starvation war, and major record companies one day ... (ok that did not come as I expected)

These facepalms have to stop

malice
    "If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree."

B.Ohlson, oct 2012
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

They hurt less if you take your ring off.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,887
    Rep Power 536871071

They hurt less if you take your ring off.
    I can't, my nails are not done yet

malice
    "If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree."

B.Ohlson, oct 2012
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location over there, a little to the left..
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

Greetings-n-shit.

I'm Kelly, born at a very young age, married a great set of boobies and found out there was a damn good woman in there too. BONUS!
    Happily married for 20 years, got 2 kids, 4 dogs and a turtle.
    Been playin 9 fingered guitar for 30 years, bass for almost as long, drums and keys for around 5, maybe 6.
    Built a studio in my garage about 10 years ago and have been hooked ever since. The coolest part is that my wife still encourages me in this whole thing.

Anyway, found you guys thru GS and a Fletcher post. Since I've always likes Fletcher, I figured I'd swing by and see what all the hub-bub was about.

You are officially my favourite new poster
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

I can't, my nails are not done yet

malice

thuper thpecial.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

You are officially my favourite new poster
    aw shucks....
    is it because I put out on the first date or the special trick I can do with peanut butter and sandpaper?

London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location over there, a little to the left..
    Posts 3,279
    Rep Power 470076282

aw shucks....
    is it because I put out on the first date or the special trick I can do with peanut butter and sandpaper?

Being Over There Now The 'Smart' Olsen Twin
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,564
    Rep Power 536871127

aw shucks....

I like this guy. He can stay.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

Plus....
    I brought beer and blow up dolls.
    Join Date Mar 2010
    Location Sunny Seattle
    Posts 836
    Rep Power 536870995

Who am I?

Well, I'm a techie geek first of all. I do digital signal processing, have done analog signal processing, am (sorry, perhaps) partially responsible for MP3 (which, yes, has flaws, and that's a long story thank you stanturds politics), considerably responsible for AAC, responsible for the AT&T "PSR" hardware, and for a variety of other things that are more techie in nature.

Other than math, my expertise is in how the ear works, what it can detect, how it detects it, how it gets processed, etc. This is where I fit in here, I think. I don't expect people to know or care about the math, but when it affects what you hear, it's more interesting.

Perhaps unsurpisingly, I have a lot of experience in both physical acoustics and psychoacoustics, including both hearing related issues as well as loudspeaker design and measurement, soundfield measument and capture, and a bunch of other stuff.

I've done rather a lot of live work, but not very recently, I think the last time was somewhere in the 1980's, and feels like the 1880's at this point. Mostly theatre, some rock, lots of folk. Not that much recording at the time.

history at www.comcast.net/~retired_old_jj

What do I do nowdays? I'm trying to bring the production of both stereo (meaning 2-channel) and multichannel into the 19th century, or maybe the 20th. The basics of multichannel production were clearly pointed at in 1933/35 by Steinburgn and Snow and we're still not there yet.

More I can't say, since I work for a profit-oriented company that is publically traded. Hopefully you'll see some "output" in this regard sooner than later.
    Grumpily,
    jj,
    Stalwart defender of Fourier, Fletcher, and Shannon, and who speaks, at most, for himself.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Regular person but for the extra nipple
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,159
    Rep Power 536871147

am (sorry, perhaps) partially responsible for MP3
    I should slap you for this, but who could slap a guy who has the names of Fourier and Shannon in his signature?

Great to have you here, jj.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.