Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871070

Default Re: Are good hardware compressors more powerful than plugins

For those of us who cut our teeth in real rooms, with real gear, with real bands there is a big understanding on where all the vitriol comes from towards plugs.

Still my reality is very different from my past reality and I make it work.

I'm going to give a specific couple of instances where I've chosen one over the other for good reason:

1. I was trying to get a vocal to sit, it needed a clean gain reduction that the trakker can do while sitting on its hands. The stuff was already in the box and i ran out to the trakker thinking i was going to get what i wanted, it didn't happen the way my minds eye saw it going down, i tried an 1176, that didn't fly (too much grip) so i backpedaled and pulled up a Sonalksis MK2 Compressor and it gave me exactly what i wanted, like the trakker but with just the right amount of color in that range i was trying to control.

2. The next record, too much nasal shit going on, everything in the box was missing the mark, out to the trakker into the distressor with a hint of 550a and we've got what we need. The Trakker alone was too clean and the Distressor alone brought too much grind to the upper mids. Guess where the EQ went?

I do find that MOST plugs break down after a point. I still think this has to do with the bit depth and where anything over -6db in digital starts to erode.
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,505
    Rep Power 536871459

otek, what choice, specifically, are you referring to when you say "informed"?
    Anything involving a choice between hardware and software to perform a certain task. Sometimes this choice can be forced upon you by circumstances beyond your control. Sometimes it is voluntary.

What I take issue with, and what started this whole discussion, is when people perpetuate some sort of fantasy about what great hardware does and doesn't do. That's all.

Not that there aren't some strange motivations for going with either alternative. Many of them, as ugly as it sounds, stem from either laziness, ignorance or indifference.

Though there are other reasons, as well. I said a few seconds ago, these choices can be forced upon you. Such has been my case.

For those of us who cut our teeth in real rooms, with real gear, with real bands there is a big understanding on where all the vitriol comes from towards plugs.

Still my reality is very different from my past reality and I make it work.
    The Comte condenses my thoughts very elegantly.

When many of the bigger regional studios went belly-up around here, and work dried up by way of the radical changes in the music industry, I and many others had a choice between either adapting or getting out altogether. I chose the former, and my vehicle was the DAW, which compromised sound quality in favor of flexibility and convenience.

Like the Comte, I have adapted, and gotten to a point where I can use the advantages of the DAW and either circumvent or live with its inadequacies.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Valerie Plame's peroxide Hank William's Chauffeur
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,771
    Rep Power 536871048

Ok i'll try to focus on my next post.

The ideal world is pretty much good hardware (some plugs possibly have the edge for individual tasks but emulations may not really be up to the same spec) is ideal

But the reality is cost. And big cost.

So you gotta do what you gotta do.

But there evidently is a difference, thats the general view, and it seems as if most of you would prefer the real deal, which is fair enough (certainly in the case of emulations)

But is this a hunger for the best, the Ferrari? Or is it simply that they are better and easier to work with.

I appreciate that you find it hard to tell me what its really like, you don't wanna sound like you are selling something when in reality its only your own experiences that have made you enjoy/benefit from the use of the real kit. And this does avoid the fact that we were comparing hardware and plug ins, rather than the experience of using them.

This forum has always taught me to place mic technique and performance first before anything else.

however another struck me does having a hardware compressor then come into mic technique? After all how you move the mic around can influence the compressor and make you decide something that a plug in, unless inserted onto a track and you listen to the effect (most seem to place this on after a recording however) may never hear till later on in the mix process.
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,147
    Rep Power 536871347

if it sounds like it needs a compressor, or it would sound better in the mix with a compressor, i add one. NOW.

otherwise, how do I make every OTHER decision as we progress when it's being heard against a sound that's only going to change?

I think "vitriol" towards plug ins is a silly idea.

It's, as a friend of mine used to say, like when someone stubs his toe and says "stupid door!"... cursing at inanimate objects.

it's more that even though I can make the choice, I make it in favour of what sounds BETTER to me.

that's all.

and it's not the magic of hardware... it's specifics.
    between an RNC and the Digi Comp3 I might take the plug in.

but on the other side, I sometimes think you want your options to be 'validated' by others here, and that's not always going to happen.

Pretty much everyone here, except me, thinks the SM57 is THE snare mic handed by god to adam for use with his portastudio.

I think it's near enough to my last choice on anything.

But the point is, it doesn't MATTER to me to have other people say "yes, you're absolutely right" or if other people say they think I'm crazy.

and it shouldn't matter to you, IF you listen and decide for yourself.

making armchair decisions based on advice is only going to take you so far, even it it IS good advice.
    you ultimately do what works for YOU.

back on the main point, let me say this (although I know it's been said before)

Yes, I CAN make it work ITB or with plug ins.
    And I can be happy with the result.
    But it will almost always take longer, be harder, and feel less satisfying in its process than if I did the same things with good hardware outboard.

I plug in an La2a on the guitar insert, I match it for unity gain, I have it barely compressing, perhaps 2-3 dB at the loudest points... and the guitar just SOUNDS BETTER than without it.
    Straight away.
    The level is matched - pop the insert out/pop the insert in - HEY that's BETTER...

the same feeling does NOT come from plug in versions.
    It may compress effectively, in that the dynamics are constrained or it pumps a bit or the peaks are rounded... but there isn't that general sense of "yeah"

that doesn;t say "i HATE plug ins"

it only says I prefer the outboard
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,475
    Rep Power 536871077

Pretty much everyone here, except me, thinks the SM57 is THE snare mic handed by god to adam for use with his portastudio.
    Hm...wasn't the SM57 handed to Eve ? Guess I should read some parts of the Bible over...

Marco
    Last edited by tannoy; April 17th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,505
    Rep Power 536871459

Hm...wasn't the SM57 handed to Eve ?
    Nah.

Eve somehow seemed to like the RE-20 better.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,147
    Rep Power 536871347

no no, the whole thing was set up before eve arrived.

god told adam he could have a studio, and adam said 'great!'

but the downside was god had this girlfriend who sings...
    Valerie Plame's peroxide Hank William's Chauffeur
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Posts 1,771
    Rep Power 536871048

Is the devil a eurodesk?
    SD

--------

"If yer still fucking around with it after 90 seconds, then you're gonna be fucking around with it for at least another 90 minutes... and things are not necessarily gonna be getting much better".
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Manet, not Monet!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,921
    Rep Power 2500000000

Is the devil a eurodesk?
    That was what was used to anchor the ark.
    Silly Rabbit Thinks Humbert got a raw deal
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location Mesa, Arizona
    Posts 115
    Rep Power 469762109

Hehehe - now that's just too damn funny there
    Russell

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
    Charlie Parker

"Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it's so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
    Frank Zappa
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,566
    Rep Power 536871161

if it sounds like it needs a compressor, or it would sound better in the mix with a compressor, i add one. NOW.

otherwise, how do I make every OTHER decision as we progress when it's being heard against a sound that's only going to change?
    Ah, good. That relates directly to something I was going to toss in here. Which is this.

Part of any thinking about this particular burning issue is, by necessity, at least sometimes, about the actual use of a compressor. The practical circumstances.

Sometimes, people want to get the sound together as they want it, make a decision, commit, and record that.

If you want to use a compressor in this, and that's part of the signal path on the way in to a recorded track, using a software plugin is just not happening.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871070

Vitriol isn't really the same meaning as it once was, it used to stand for "Universal Solvent."

All that psycho-babble aside, the damn truth is WW is right on about the way hardware works immediately. It's the sole reason i have lots of expensive compression and eq even though most times it's only used during tracking.

A vocal that benefits from compression sent to the artists phones is going to inspire, that doesn't work at all with software IMO. After all we're here to capture inspired performances, nothing matters if we miss that.

Much like a great room gives back, so does hardware.
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
    President of local Trekkie club. Reprobate
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location the yoo kay
    Posts 915
    Rep Power 536871038

no no, the whole thing was set up before eve arrived.

HAAA!

Super close to the bone!
    Cheers,

Paulie.
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871157

HAAA!

Super close to the bone!
    Doh! Another pun.

Surprised no one has made a crack about Adam's "hardware".
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,505
    Rep Power 536871459

Surprised no one has made a crack about Adam's "hardware".
    I hear Eve is all about rib-bon(e)s.

Ok, I will shut up now....

otek
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871157

No, this is really the logical end to this thread anyway...
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,475
    Rep Power 536871077

Nah.

Eve somehow seemed to like the RE-20 better.
    You've got a dirty mind...the only thing she liked about the RE-20 was the case bundled with it back then.....see attached picture.... and that's the truth.
    Attached Images  
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 9,997
    Rep Power 536871342

It all started when Steve Jobs offered Eve the Apple.

Adam was the first plug in.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Michigan J. Frog
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 742
    Rep Power 536871021

It all started when Steve Jobs offered Eve the Apple.

Adam was the first plug in.