Thread: MiX iT! #4d : Discuss It

In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871041

Default Re: MiX iT! #4d : Discuss It

Hey tannoy,
    thanks a lot for you comments but I really couldn't figure out what you meant here.
    There’s some kind of nice filtered delay at one part of your mix (after the 1st chorus, Aardvark singing ‘Mixerman’) which sounds a bit too mid/low-middy to my ears, it stucks a bit out frequency-wise, maybe a tad less ‘weeeooomp’...I think you’ve tried to bring out the attack of the guitar parts in the chorus (could be that I’m wrong here and it’s the rock-bass track run through an amp-simulation or something) – anyways, I like that idea but I think, it’s a bit ‘overdone’ loudnesswise.
    Could you give me a time-mark so that I can find out?

thanks
    Andy
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871041

ps: yes i`m a bassplayer...
    good one
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

The name.. um, you can get that from my avatar, I guess))) Actually "me loco" is a chorus from one song and "go" is just for fun)
    Ah... got it - maybe I should've taken a glimpse into some dictionary before asking. Makes sense now.

I wanted it sound like it was played in natural stone amfiteater.
    And it works.

"Empty industry building" - I laughed when I read this, cause the biggest reverb in the song, used on that mando part was "bath house" impulse from Bricasti, I guess it is pretty precise description of what bath house is))))

Marco
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

Originally Posted by Tannoy
    There’s some kind of nice filtered delay at one part of your mix (after the 1st chorus, Aardvark singing ‘Mixerman’) which sounds a bit too mid/low-middy to my ears, it stucks a bit out frequency-wise, maybe a tad less ‘weeeooomp’...I think you’ve tried to bring out the attack of the guitar parts in the chorus (could be that I’m wrong here and it’s the rock-bass track run through an amp-simulation or something) – anyways, I like that idea but I think, it’s a bit ‘overdone’ loudnesswise.
    Hey tannoy,
    thanks a lot for you comments but I really couldn't figure out what you meant here.

Could you give me a time-mark so that I can find out?

thanks
    Andy
    Yeah, sure - sorry, I didn't explain that very well...those were two different things - the attack I wrote about is in the chorus (I hear it at around 1:34 for the first time) and the filtered delay (at least it sounds to me like that) starts at around 2:21 (the one that's swelling). Regarding that attack-thingy...it could be that I don't remember the tracks correctly. Maybe there was a bass track provided which had that kind of attack-sound and I didn't use it.

The more I think of it the more possible it seems to me....I'm gettin' old....

Marco
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

Mitch,

Ok, let's hear what you made with this tracks.

I'm sitting comfortably in my "astral-commander" studio chair. I push start...

0:00 the song begins... sitar,
    me : cool, an oriental instrument, i'm thinking about "Sheerazaad[TM]"
    0:34 miiixermannn... sliiiperman...
    me : cool, there are some vocals in the tune, they sound good with this sitar
    0:38 BLANG... BLA - BLANG...
    me : er, what, what ? why is this guy hitting the toms like that ? this guy is crazy, he hits the toms while the nice band is playing... fuck him !
    If the drummer heard that !!!
    0:45 BLA - BLANG... BLA - BLANG
    me : Ooops, now, I think the "crazy guy" and the drummer are the same person... (I'm drinking a fresh orange juice)
    waooo, this drummer is a killer, he hits loud !
    But why does he play so hardly ? the rest of the band play so smoooooooth... dunno...
    Yes !!! I know why... Maybe he's playing with the wrong band !!! hmmm, this drummer is mysterious (i love orange juice, it's so fresh )
    1:09 BONG - BLANG - TAGA-TAGA-TAGA-TA BLANG
    me : I thing the drummer is tuning his drums, good idea !!! I think the most difficult thing is drum tuning. Especially when people play or speak near
    I have to ask a friend of mine about that. He plays drums.
    1:20 I hear an oriental guy singing
    me : the funky drummer is repeating a break. waoooo, he plays really good to me. Too bad he's playing with the oriental guys. Someone sould say him to play with a metal band or something like that...
    1:39 Yeahhh-ehhh-ohhhhhh
    me : the two guys who are singing the back vocals should eat someting. they should stop smoking...
    they should ask the drummer for vitamines. (as orange juices )
    The drummer is not tired, I think he likes orange juices. Good guy !!!
    2:05 guitar riff
    me : cool, an electric guitar. I like electric guitars.
    The guitar player and the drummer are good friends. I can feel that. they like rock and orange juice, as me. Maybe they play in the same band ? "the orange juices vitaminics".
    2:40 I see a keyboard player plugin things with cords, dunno why ? maybe he wants to test something, a new plugin ?
    2:53 BOIIIIIIING BOIIIIIIIING
    me : noooooooooooo, duuuuuude, don't do that dooooooode, you've broken my speakers with this noise...

me, finishing the orange juice : Somebody could say to me what there was in this song ?

more to come
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by prunelle; August 19th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871041

Yeah, sure - sorry, I didn't explain that very well...those were two different things - the attack I wrote about is in the chorus (I hear it at around 1:34 for the first time) and the filtered delay (at least it sounds to me like that) starts at around 2:21 (the one that's swelling). Regarding that attack-thingy...it could be that I don't remember the tracks correctly. Maybe there was a bass track provided which had that kind of attack-sound and I didn't use it.

The more I think of it the more possible it seems to me....I'm gettin' old....

Marco
    Hey Tannoy,

thanks for your clarification!

@2:21 yes it's a filtered delay of the wordsnip "..xerman", the lowpass of the delay is at 1,5k. The more feedback the duller it gets, well I actually liked it that way.

@1:36 that attackythingy is a fider-ride of the stereo sum (in fact its the input of the inflator I ride, see attached screenshoot). The rockpart to me is the most important part in the tune and I wanted it to start with a kind of jumping devil-thingy if you know what I mean.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_buss_ride.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	7830  

Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

@2:21 yes it's a filtered delay of the wordsnip "..xerman", the lowpass of the delay is at 1,5k. The more feedback the duller it gets, well I actually liked it that way.
    And that's absolutely ok.

Originally Posted by AndyGallas
    @1:36 that attackythingy is a fider-ride of the stereo sum (in fact its the input of the inflator I ride, see attached screenshoot). The rockpart to me is the most important part in the tune and I wanted it to start with a kind of jumping devil-thingy if you know what I mean.
    I guess we're still talking about different things here. What I meant was that 'chack-chack' kinda sound - it sounds like the emphasized attack of a pick touching a string...that's why I've mentioned that it might be on a track I didn't use, 'cause I don't remember a track with that sound on it. Musicdog's mix also has that part in the chorus.

Did you guys record another track to the whole sharona ? Be honest.

Marco
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Tilburg, Netherlands
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496569

Montreal Canadiens Re: MiX iT! #4d : Discuss It

Hey Tannoy,

Thnx for the comments. My biggest problem seemed to be that I used almost every instrument/track. I can live with that.

About the chack-chack sound. The thing that you are talking about seems to be the Bass, thats touches the frets with the strings. A very often used technique in the hard rock scene. Iron Maiden`s Steve Harris can`t do without it.
    I think it`s one of the tracks u didnt use.

If that`s not what you ment, would you add a short sample of the part that you mee, cause i think that i hear it in your mix around 2:21. (way softer) But i could be mistaken.
    Love the music, music your love
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496569

And that's absolutely ok.

I guess we're still talking about different things here. What I meant was that 'chack-chack' kinda sound - it sounds like the emphasized attack of a pick touching a string...that's why I've mentioned that it might be on a track I didn't use, 'cause I don't remember a track with that sound on it. Musicdog's mix also has that part in the chorus.

Did you guys record another track to the whole sharona ? Be honest.
    I can`t tell. If you find out, i have to kill you!
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496569

Mitch,

Ok, let's hear what you made with this tracks.

I'm sitting comfortably in my "astral-commander" studio chair. I push start...

0:00 the song begins... sitar,
    me : cool, an oriental instrument, i'm thinking about "Sheerazaad[TM]"
    0:34 miiixermannn... sliiiperman...
    me : cool, there are some vocals in the tune, they sound good with this sitar
    0:38 BLANG... BLA - BLANG...
    ---------
    2:53 BOIIIIIIING BOIIIIIIIING
    me : noooooooooooo, duuuuuude, don't do that dooooooode, you've broken my speakers with this noise...

me, finishing the orange juice : Somebody could say to me what there was in this song ?

more to come
    Whahaha, you have some good humor. Like to read the rest.
    Would like you to do that with mine. But maybe that wouldn`t be as funny anymore.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871041

What I meant was that 'chack-chack' kinda sound - it sounds like the emphasized attack of a pick touching a string...that's why I've mentioned that it might be on a track I didn't use, 'cause I don't remember a track with that sound on it. Musicdog's mix also has that part in the chorus.

I guess it's what musicdog said, the strings of the rockbass slaping on the freets.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

Andy,

I think it's orange juice time guys...

[mode fight on] kidding

0.00 nice intro, let's fly to Rukistan. As I hear, you promise me a nice journey I like sitar, very musical to me.

0.20 the tom hit is very loud. too much compression ?

0.24 I think the first note of the sitar part is missing. eaten by the hit tom. If I was the dude who played this part, I would not be very satisfied. anyway.
    I hear the toms very well, but the bass is missing a bit. maybe because of my speakers ?
    I feel the song groovy, cool
    0.43 Bass riff, I like it.
    0.48 Let's talk about Malice's part. Serious, at this time, Malice misses me.
    0.57 Malice is back.
    1.00 to 1.06 Malice, where are you ? I hear Malice's track, but I feel him away from the action. away, in a pleasant way. I'm sure he will come back later now.
    1.07 Malice is back, that's ok.
    1.21 let me say you what I hear, what I "see".
    First plan Drums and vocals. Second plan, the rest of the band. Don't know if it is good or bad. That's what I'm hearing.
    1.33 to 2.08 the famous "rock part".
    I love this part too. Maybe my favorite of the song. the "WWWAAAAAOOOOOOOOO" makes me crazy, I like the Drum playing, The two guitar tracks, this awesome B3 track. This part is per-fect I fell the energy.
    I can hear all the instruments : "wock and woll"

Hey Tannoy,

thanks for your clarification!

[---------]

Andy

The duration of the rock part : 40 sec.
    The duration of your mix : 3.13.

To me, it is like you started your mix with the "rock part", and keep the "presets" for all the song. What about the musos from Rukistan ?

I think there are basically three different atmospheres in this tune.

In your mix I hear only one of them.

ps : the "rock part" was the part which was the most difficult to mix for me.

just my opinion, Andy
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

Marco,

Big fan here.

I love what you did with the 66 tracks. (maybe 67)

You knew how to emphasize the main parts of this fu@#+k/€ 66 tracks.

But (orange juice ?)

at 2.10 the famous "rock part". I don't hear the bass. I have a big sound before that, and then nothing.

Maybe you started your mix with the Rukistan part ?

2.41, love the drums.
    2.59 waooo, nice ride on the left. Not sure Slippy played this ride so loud.
    3.11 a cymbal queue is missing. some automation on the OH ?
    did you kept the OH tracks for cymbals hits ?

I play keyboards, you know. (well I try to )
    I think the B3 solo is really well played.

Have you a problem with keyboard players ?
    I hate you.

Just my taste Marco.

ps : Please, do not make an addition to this "Marco".
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

Hey prunelle,

thanks a lot for reviewing and for your kind words.

But (orange juice ?)
    I like orange juice !

Originally Posted by prunelle
    at 2.10 the famous "rock part". I don't hear the bass. I have a big sound before that, and then nothing.
    The problem with an approach like this is the transition between two completely different genres. That rap-part deserved some emphasized bass treatment but to my ears the same settings wouldn't work with Rock. It would get too boomy. I've tried different settings and this one worked best on my speakers. The other solution would've been to completely change the drumsounds according to the intro, which would've probably fucked up the whole arrangement - not good. I've listened to the mix on some systems before posting it, but it didn't occur to me that the bass gets lost that much.

So, it's simple : Your speakers are crap.

I kid, I kid !!!

Nah, could be that it's a bit too restrained sounding, maybe a tad more bass would work...but anyways, I'm curious : On what system are you listening to the mixes ?

3.11 a cymbal queue is missing. some automation on the OH ?
    did you kept the OH tracks for cymbals hits ?
    Yep, the OH tracks were used a lot. I'm not sure about what exactly you mean here. Could you clarify, please ?

I play keyboards, you know. (well I try to )
    I think the B3 solo is really well played.

Have you a problem with keyboard players ?
    I hate you.
    There is a B3 solo ? Yes, I have a problem with keyboard players - they know way too much about music, especially Fulcrum. So I had to mute some parts. Couldn't help myself.

ps : Please, do not make an addition to this "Marco".
    I'll second that.

Thanks again, prunelle, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marco
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871108

I guess it's what musicdog said, the strings of the rockbass slaping on the freets.
    Yes, you're both right. And I'm hereby stating that I'm officially deaf. I've solo'd the rock-bass and there it was, loud'n clear - didn't hear it before.

Marco
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 505496569

Nah, could be that it's a bit too restrained sounding, maybe a tad more bass would work...but anyways, I'm curious : On what system are you listening to the mixes ?

Marco
    I`m sure that Prunelle`s suggestions wil work.
    (gheghegheh)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyGallas

Yes, you're both right. And I'm hereby stating that I'm officially deaf. I've solo'd the rock-bass and there it was, loud'n clear - didn't hear it before.

Marco
    No comments on this one.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

So, it's simple : Your speakers are crap.

I kid, I kid !!!

Marco,

I've put all the mixes in PT for listening. (wanted to "see" the average RMS level)

My system (very basic),
    Well, I've 4 traps (2,30m x 0,60m x 0,20m), 4 traps (1,50m x 0,60m x 0,10 m) (rockwool, density 85 kg/m3 I think).

I've measured the room before/after. It is night and day.

My speakers : a pair of PMC TB2S+ powered by a Nad.
    I have a pair of genelecs 1030 (don't use them now, I cannot hear the low mids).

I thought that speakers were a tool of help to the decision-making for the mixing.

I learnt it in this forum. Did I missed something ?

Should I buy a pair of Quested, and a pair of Barefoot to hear your music bro ?

discuss
    Last edited by prunelle; August 21st, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

Yep, the OH tracks were used a lot. I'm not sure about what exactly you mean here. Could you clarify, please ?
    Sorry for my bad English. I try my best to explain things with 26 words.

At 3:11, The sustain of the cymbal is missing.

But I's not so important.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544493

The problem with an approach like this is the transition between two completely different genres. That rap-part deserved some emphasized bass treatment but to my ears the same settings wouldn't work with Rock. It would get too boomy. I've tried different settings and this one worked best on my speakers. The other solution would've been to completely change the drumsounds according to the intro, which would've probably fucked up the whole arrangement - not good.

Wait a minute. You're talking about the rap-part. In the original files, this rap part was at the end of the song. If I remember the tune.

Well, I don't remember... I didn't use It.

You've moved it at the beginning of your mix.

You decided that there would be a rap-part at the beginning of the song.

Don't you have create your own problem by making it ?

Why did you want this rap-part at the beginning ?

Why did you change the song ?

Please don't hate me Marco.
    Last edited by prunelle; August 21st, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871041

Hey prunelle,
    thanks a lot for you kind words and for your critiques!

0.20 the tom hit is very loud. too much compression ?
    The toms have been hit by a real man not a pussy ya know, that's why it's loud No compression here.

0.24 I think the first note of the sitar part is missing. eaten by the hit tom. If I was the dude who played this part, I would not be very satisfied. anyway.
    To me the hammering toms are way more important for the groove than a single sitar note. Man, you are truly a keyboarder :-)

1.21 let me say you what I hear, what I "see".
    First plan Drums and vocals. Second plan, the rest of the band. Don't know if it is good or bad. That's what I'm hearing.
    Hmmm... I can hear the bass, guitars and bell clear and loud, dunno. Actually I don't make plannings like this, I mix rather intuitive.

The duration of the rock part : 40 sec.
    The duration of your mix : 3.13.
    Yep. And?

To me, it is like you started your mix with the "rock part", and keep the "presets" for all the song.
    What presets? There is a lot of fader riding and individual stuff, just what I felt the mix needs in time, even on my console I did manual fader- and send-rides.

What about the musos from Rukistan ?
    Well, I brought them rock'n roll and they liked it

I think there are basically three different atmospheres in this tune.

In your mix I hear only one of them.
    I'd say this is a matter of perspective but okay. I mean what might sound like different atmospheres to you, might sound like a arrangement mess to me. But yeah, we are all different and that's the cool thing about it.

Again, thanks a lot bro!

Andy