Thread: MiX iT! #4d : Discuss It

A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871107

Default Re: MiX iT! #4d : Discuss It

meLoCo_go, thanks a lot for commenting, much appreciated!

You're saying, that the sound could be more aggressive in the rock parts...do you think that the guitars might need a bit more 'sharpness' or punch ? Could you clarify, please ?

Marco
    Highway to Hell is for Children Allen Bean to the Moon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,339
    Rep Power 536871215

You're saying, that the sound could be more aggressive in the rock parts...do you think that the guitars might need a bit more 'sharpness' or punch ? Could you clarify, please ?
    I'd like to hear more kik in that part - but you can probably add more bass instead; I don't hear enough bass "pulse" there, it doesn't make me slam.
    The snare could be a bit brighter and maybe guitars could be a tad brighter there also.

Yeah, one overall thing... We probably could agree on average rms level r something in future. Mixes do vary a lot in that respect!
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871040

Hey meLoCo_go,

very cool that you finally also tuk the time to make a review. Thanks for that man!

Need to check how you treated your guitars
    I think I did really nothing fancy, a bit of delay and reverb here and there, so that every guitar has its own space. In the pre rock part there is a tremolo guitar on the left which is actually a bit shy in tremololoing (is that a word?). I gave it a bit more tremolator by soundtoys. The right one (the auto panned one) I wanted to have with a bit of James Bond character. I first thought about a trashy spring-reverb but in the end it was mostly delay that fitted to the song. In the rock part I also used a bit of flanger in addition. The rest is balanceing and fader-riding I guess. But feel free to ask if you want to know something specific.

Andy
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544492

Prunelle
    I like the intro but rock'n'roll part could have a bit more "meat" and could be a bit louder compared to intro. I like background vox you added in outro but I got used to the distorted bass in it too much so it sounded sorta empty.
    Hey, thanks for the review.

I totally agree with you about the rock part. I'm not pleased about this thing in my mix.
    I should have begun the mix with this part (the loudest in this song).

The cavernous back vox is just the "aardy vox", pasted and time stretched with that elastic audio and some very basic things i don't remember (I can do a search if you want). To strengthen the "funny" aspect.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,339
    Rep Power 536871215

I think I did really nothing fancy, a bit of delay and reverb here and there, so that every guitar has its own space.
    I liked how you EQd your gtrs, you really made the trick "boost a lot of top-end and catch it with LPF" work!
    When in doubt, mumble!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,339
    Rep Power 536871215

The cavernous back vox is just the "aardy vox", pasted and time stretched with that elastic audio and some very basic things i don't remember (I can do a search if you want). To strengthen the "funny" aspect.
    That's a good use of Elastic audio)
    When in doubt, mumble!

In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Europe
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 536871040

I liked how you EQd your gtrs, you really made the trick "boost a lot of top-end and catch it with LPF" work!
    Thanks, glad you like it! Oh yeah I forgot the eqs. I attached some screenshots from the guitars- and the B3-settings in the rockpart.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gtr riff dbl.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	8107  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gtr muted.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	8108  

Name:	Gtr float.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	8109  

Name:	B3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	8110  

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date May 2008
    Posts 14
    Rep Power 111

I was looking in the wrong thread. Sorry.
    Last edited by hiphopdaddy; October 17th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.