Thread: Brutally honest predictions

Tainted Love Potion Number Nine Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871185

Default Brutally honest predictions

The discussion emerging in the thread started by haze has got me wanting to get a sense of where people think all of this stuff with the music industry is leading. We've talked on and on about the problems, where they came from, where the core issues lie, etc.

But what about the future?

I'd like to know what anyone and everyone foresees for the future of the music industry, either recorded, live, or both.

Say, in the next two or three years, then five, and maybe even ten years down the road.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Tejas
    Posts 1,865
    Rep Power 0

Default Re: Brutally honest predictions

It’s a great question Dave. Things are in flux and I have no idea what will happen, but honestly I'm optimistic. The industry lost the ability to get good music out the door and couldn’t care less because it was still able to make a fortune off of worthless crap. There are those who just want to sew the head back on the zombie, but I want a better monster.

Where will the future Beyonces, Jonas Bros, and John Mayers come from? Who gives a shit?

If democracy is a pipe dream I'll settle for mere anarchy.
    Bewildered Brigader Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Chez Mimi La Sardine
    Posts 1,637
    Rep Power 536871092

Let's see... music increasingly easier and cheaper to produce, therefore losing its symbolic (and financial) value, for more than ten years now, twenty if you date that back to the advent of the home studio... then finally, to top it all off, made available absolutely free, illegally but who cares.

The real content creators, songwriters, arrangers, composers, producers thus being reduced to music-sweatshop grunts for no real money...

The most popular acts becoming no more than corporate posters for a specific lifestyle and the products, designer iPods, cars, clothing, perfumes etc., that go with it (and which bring the real money).

Where could all that possibly lead to? Two possible outcomes:

Optimistic: music losing all of its glamorous appeal in terms of career and money could, by some twisted form of poetic justice, land back on its feet, not unfortunately in industry terms (except as stated above), but at least symbolically... by reverting back to being considered the exclusive realm of the pure poet, the last mystical refuge for the uncompromising rebel (with his iphone studio), sole language of the traveling prophets and neo-minstrel hobos in these new dark ages and...

WTF, that's supposed to be an optimistic prediction?! Holy shit. ... and sorry, er, some major, extraordinarily new and beautiful musical works finally comes out of that, which in the end leads civilization back to peace and prosperity

Pessimistic: we get rich writing or recording hits for Lady Gaga and we don't give a shit anymore. Then we die.
    Last edited by TubaSolo; August 25th, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Tejas
    Posts 1,865
    Rep Power 0

I would like to think that the collapse of the industry could lead to a renewed interest and increased participation in local music.

To take a rather long view of things, consider what the role of music and musicians was before the recording industry, a rather new phenomenon all in all. It was more about community than celebrity, I believe. I look at the work of those like Alan Lomax and Harry Smith and just have to wonder about all of that.

And yeah, thatís looking backwards, but I wonder if it doesnít hint at the future, if we get the opportunity to get beyond this artificial global top ten mentality that seems to have strangled the vitality out of music.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Let's see... music increasingly easier and cheaper to produce,
    Hold it right there!

There are people who can play a guitar, sing and have everybody in the room in tears. Great music is NOT easier and cheaper to produce. The only thing easier and cheaper to produce is canned generic background music that nobody would think of buying and propping up folks who can't sing.

To me, the whole music as a commodity concept is very flawed. Members of the opposite sex can be treated as a commodity also but how many people are going to make a serious investment there? The only thing worth talking about is respectful relationships between performers and fans. That's probably not going away. '80s Sgt. Peppers revival extravaganzas probably are.

I think there will be a return to extreme professionalism but it may well begin and only exist on stage at first. Harry Potter proved that books weren't dead, just that most weren't compelling enough.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,637
    Rep Power 536871092

Bob, I totally agree with you there... I wrote "music is easier to produce" in a general way, without qualifying it. I was also talking about the recording side of the industry, not so much about live playing.

How many times do we hear songs on the radio, of all kinds and in all genres (not only in rnb, club and hiphop), and shake our heads at the lameness of the lyrics, formula one arrangements, loops, extreme auto-tuning, unreasonable limiting, you name it?

Apparently it still does sell....

I'd say really great and original-sounding music is increasingly difficult to produce, for the exact same reasons. Technology has somehow fixed the whole game and most people just don't care, won't hear the difference, or even will like it better that way.
    Last edited by TubaSolo; August 25th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

What makes you think it sells?

Madison Avenue loves it so radio plays it but you can't give a lot of it away.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

The music-consuming audience really is split into two major groups.

Those who go out to a club to listen to music;
    Those who go out to a club because they will not get laid sitting alone at home.

Those who listen to music;
    Those who turn on the stereo, and then vacuum the house.

To the first group, we can still have a relationship.

To the second group, there's a very good question whether they even notice when a different song comes on.

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

I think we can still have a relationship with the first three categories.

Our problem is that the fourth group is what has always looked best to the people buying radio advertising.

Serving the first two audience groups used to be able to expose enough interesting music to please the third group and create enough of a buzz to infiltrate the fourth group.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,637
    Rep Power 536871092

What makes you think it sells?
    Well, I'm looking at the charts right now, and I can tell you, er...

Sorry, I was looking at the French charts.

Duh.

No, seriously, I honestly think it's worldwide but who really wants to start comparing the qualities and merits of such and such acts in regard of their sale numbers?
    Last edited by TubaSolo; August 25th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,128
    Rep Power 536871375

Now look at the top 40 "spins" on radio:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/insi...owyear=y&dpt=n
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871185

the exclusive realm of the pure poet, the last mystical refuge for the uncompromising rebel (with his iphone studio)

------------

Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871185

Interesting that #2 & #4 on the sales chart are compilations of songs that were already hits.

------------

Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Tejas
    Posts 1,865
    Rep Power 0

Nice to see Wilco up there though. Those guys are worthy.
    Plays in Winger cover band Michigan J. Frog
    Join Date Nov 2008
    Location Dallas, Texas
    Posts 740
    Rep Power 536871037

Grizzly Bear kicks serious ass.

Plays in Winger cover band Potential defenestration victim
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location New Scotland, The Village
    Posts 703
    Rep Power 536871057

What does the future hold?

I'm gonna buy me a big ol' box of Elixer nanoweb acoustic strings.

The power is gonna go out for good and daleandhisguitar are going to be ready.

D.
    dale&theguitardale&theguitar
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,637
    Rep Power 536871092

it seems I know only about 20 names out of the fifty on that charts list.. and actually heard something from only 15 of them.

The rest either never made it across the ocean, or I didn't bother checking them out.

I thought a little late-night music video tv watching from time to time was all it took, but it appears I need an urgent, big update on American pop (thanks Bob!).

Ok, ah... so who the fuck is (gone to look up and hear George Strait, Daughtry, Reba McEntire, Regina Spektor, Chris Botti, Phoenix, Demi Lovato, Brooke White, Blue Stone, Imelda May, etc, etc, etc, yes, I know, just call me fearless )
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871185

Don't feel bad. About the only person I know of coming from French pop culture in recent times is that cute woman from Amelie.

And Daft Punk.
    Last edited by Dave Perry; August 26th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

------------

Taught Carl Lewis to sing Owns two cars on blocks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,216
    Rep Power 536871111

And I've been living here for going on 10 years and I still only know of Daft Punk.

K, and Johnny Halliday.

And--Serge Gainsbourg.

And--clearly, like with most music I like, I'm a few decades behind!

; J