Thread: Brutally honest predictions

Tainted Love Potion Number Nine Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

Default Re: Brutally honest predictions

And I've been living here for going on 10 years and I still only know of Daft Punk.

K, and Johnny Halliday.

And--Serge Gainsbourg.

And--clearly, like with most music I like, I'm a few decades behind!

; J
    What about the cute lady from Amelie?

You must have noticed her.

Well, then again, I'm a guy and she's, well, really cute.

Heh, she was in DaVinci Code too with what's-his-name.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Taught Carl Lewis to sing Owns two cars on blocks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,216
    Rep Power 536871113

Belle Audrey, yes of course I know of her beautiful face, but alas, she's an actress, (as far as I know), and not a singer and this thread's about music, oui?

; J
    Bewildered Brigader Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Chez Mimi La Sardine
    Posts 1,637
    Rep Power 536871093

From the list above I got acquainted with the work of about thirty artists I didn't know about.

My own personal tastes (which don't include country or american-idol typical "white rock", or Disney pop) notwithstanding, this is highly informative and interesting... if only because, as some high-profile producer once said "I never met a hit record I didn't like".

Very little black music in there though...

Bob, is Streetpulse an all-genres, all-states consolidated sales chart? The ratings are quite different from the Billboard "Hot 100" for example.
    Last edited by TubaSolo; August 26th, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

That was a list of the week's biggest selling albums. The link below was to the list of the 40 recordings receiving the most air play in the U.S. The lack of any relationship between radio play and sales is stunning. Thirty years ago radio played what people were buying and this accelerated the sales of those titles. Today they play what does best in focus group opinion tests.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

Belle Audrey, yes of course I know of her beautiful face, but alas, she's an actress, (as far as I know), and not a singer and this thread's about music, oui?

; J
    Oh yea. My mind went a little astray there.

Damn, I'm screwing up my own thread.

------------

Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

The lack of any relationship between radio play and sales is stunning.
    Where do these sales come from, Bob. TV?

How is the buzz around what will become a hot artist generated now?

------------

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Has every David Cassidy record!
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 218103939

music has always been around, industry or not. Who cares whether the industry is dying ? it will go down the drain just like other aspects of our industrial society. Life moves on nonetheless and music is just an expression of the latter.

Personally, I produce my own stuff. I am very happy about it, and I derive no income from it. What good would it do ? Music comes and goes according to inspiration, not bills to be paid each month
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

music has always been around, industry or not. Who cares whether the industry is dying ? it will go down the drain just like other aspects of our industrial society. Life moves on nonetheless and music is just an expression of the latter.

Personally, I produce my own stuff. I am very happy about it, and I derive no income from it. What good would it do ? Music comes and goes according to inspiration, not bills to be paid each month
    Well you will find that isn't a very popular position around here because this forum is populated by music professionals, or those seriously attempting to make a living off of it.

And as to this desire to to make a decent living doing music in one form or another, I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Why should music be relegated to hobby-only status?

Oh, can I ask what you do for a living? Is that going to "go down the drain" as well?

If so, what will you do then to eat and pay rent or house payments?

------------

wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Seattle, WA
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 202823853

The lack of any relationship between radio play and sales is stunning.

Bob, thanks for posting this comparison. I found it to be strangely comforting.
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 218103939

of course professionals do care, they ARE the industry
    But this is not exactly my point. I am convinced that the industry in general is going down the drain (music industry included) and there will be no turning back, as some others said it in other contexts, "the party is over".
    No, music is not a hobby, it is a fundamental element of life and I am very happy to create some. I am just not interested in selling it. My job(s) is (are) helping me paying my bills, I don't really ask for more from these jobs, just a constraint that I have to cope with. Life could be worse than that

PS: for the record, I have been a researcher in particle physics and am doing some software development at the moment. This is not important to me. The last thing I wanted was to turn my composing / arranging music into a job. A paid job means constraints, which affect whatever work is demanded. You of course don't have to agree with me
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

Well I asked for brutally honest opinions and we have yours now. It wasn't inappropriate, though I did use the word "unpopular".

A suggestion that computer programming or physics were washed up professions (and that it is written in the stars, and perfectly alright to boot, that anyone pursuing them will do so for hobby pleasure only from here on out) might get your goat as well.

------------

Join Date Aug 2009
    Posts 23
    Rep Power 218103939

well, believe or not, but I know a very very smart physicist in fundamental physics theory that recently came up with an amazing "theory of everything" that he developed during his spare time The activity that mattered during this development phase was surfing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_...venture_sports)

I could tell you how much scientific research of recent years has been plagued by the "industrial spirit" but this is off-topic. Just want to mention that over time (and that can be a long span of time), an industrial output follows a so-called "bell-curve" (well, the bell can be quite distorted) : there's a min (start), a max (peak output), and a min again (tail). However, music creation will go on and that's what counts to me.

ah yeah, I also don't mind having unpopular opinions as I mean no harm to those having different ideas. I just like chatting and seeing what comes out
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

Well I spoke up since you're new here. This tends to be a profession oriented forum rather than a hobby oriented forum like Harmony Central.

I think you can see the logic that to take a position that it is inevitable that people can no longer make a living off of music, and that it doesn't really matter, would seem irritating or even offensive to many people here.

But that shouldn't stop you. As long as you try to maintain a modicum of respect in the way you phrase things.

------------

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

PS: for the record, I have been a researcher in particle physics and am doing some software development at the moment.
    My brother works at the place (BNL) that has the largest collider that actually works (I think). The one in Cern I believe has been mothballed. He plays wedding gigs (not so much now, due to the economy) and has little time to do anything creative musically.

Most of us who love music would at least like to have the opportunity to spend most of our time with music, and in order to do that one must derive income from it.

It's really quite simple.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

music has always been around, industry or not.
    When I've studied history and music history, I've never found much evidence of this. There has always been some but it was never something the average person embraced prior to the rise of a music publishing industry during the latter part of the 19th century.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871187

Most of us who love music would at least like to have the opportunity to spend most of our time with music, and in order to do that one must derive income from it.

It's really quite simple.
    Up until he started going deaf, Beethoven practiced piano ten hours a day.

Obviouly impossible if he had also been doing a non-musical day job.

And I think it's clear his ability to do that paid dividends.

------------

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Well, E8 notwithstanding

to fight entropy on a daily basis, or not?

That is the question.

your squalid little scribblings on the staff paper may amuse you, and that's great. Many of us can do the same to amuse ourselves.

but many cannot.

Certainly, art can happen, whether or not someone buys it. But art doesn't just happen. All the stuff that you see around you, that has stood the test of time, was the product of some genius who worked and worked and worked. It wasn't self-amusement that gave us il David, or the Sistine Chapel Ceiling.

What happens to culture, when art is not valued?

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,796
    Rep Power 536871156

music has always been around, industry or not. Who cares whether the industry is dying?
    And go back to the patronage system? That would be like Tattoo (Hervé Villechaize's TV character) leaving Fantasy Island and moving into the White House. I'll pass, thank you.

Personally, I produce my own stuff. I am very happy about it, and I derive no income from it.
    That's your problem. You are a hobbyist. That is VERY DIFFERENT from being a working pro.

Music comes and goes according to inspiration, not bills to be paid each month
    You very clearly do not understand the life of a full-time pro or how professional music people work or you would not make the statement you just made. I wish I had the time that you have to leisurely sit down and strum a guitar every time the inspiration strikes, but unlike you, my bills, hence my need for income is very real, and if I can't generate it from music it will have to come from somewhere else. And since time is money and money is time that time will be doing something other than creating music. Like cutting grass or installing electric wiring in new houses or something else that generates immediate cash flow. When I am on the job the music is elsewhere, far far far away.

Since being laid off from XM Radio I have been hustling just about every waking hour to make ends meet. How many songs have I written much less recorded since then? Zero. And what little free time I have left I like to spend it with my wife when possible.

The reason why I spend what little online time I have on The Womb Music Biz 2.0 board is because this forum is about the only place on the web where the realities of being in this business of music/entertainment/media happens without it being clouded by someone who is marketing gear or pushing some tech sector agenda. Since I am trying to reboot my career, every second of the time I spend researching the biz has to be carefully allocated. Hence you find me here and not on TapeOp, Gear Sluts, the Sweetwater forums, etc etc etc.

Apologies for using my flame thrower on you, but my day today working on a construction job site did not go well and you made yourself an easy target for my frustrations. I would much rather spend my day making music, but if the music doesn't pay the bills something else must. Needless to say I would love to have the luxury that you enjoy, being able to make music anytime the mood strikes.

Doubledeuce deleted.
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,568
    Rep Power 536871192

Certainly, art can happen, whether or not someone buys it. But art doesn't just happen. All the stuff that you see around you, that has stood the test of time, was the product of some genius who worked and worked and worked. It wasn't self-amusement that gave us il David, or the Sistine Chapel Ceiling.

What happens to culture, when art is not valued?
    Square on head.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,796
    Rep Power 536871156

Cern I believe has been mothballed.
    WHICH IS A MIGHTY FINE THING HALLELUJAH! There was/is a concern that that underground contraption was/is powerful enough to produce quantum singularities - ie: proverbial "black holes" that could potentially collapse the Earth into an object less than the size of a pin-head within a span of about five years. Pray that thing NEVER gets to operate!
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz