Thread: Music Theory Online Free Tuition

Once did Lady Di on a bet Broke like Joe Thiesman's leg
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Hell
    Posts 2,486
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Music Theory Online Free Tuition

Havent explored this greatly yet but it appears to be a useful tool.

http://www.musictheory.net/
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Hell
    Posts 2,486
    Rep Power 536871090

Thumbs Up! Re: Music Theory Online Free Tuition

p.s

after some exploring have decided the cooless things are the ear trainers...no not shoes for your ears but aural aids to learn to recognise scales, chords, etc.

Also has a print your own score sheet page which could save some folks some mula.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Hell
    Posts 2,486
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: Music Theory Online Free Tuition

p.p.s. this is linked to the sire in the help section... who writes music like this??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_tone_technique
    Being Over There Now The 'Smart' Olsen Twin
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,563
    Rep Power 536871127

p.p.s. this is linked to the sire in the help section... who writes music like this??

Oh, I dunno.. Arnold Schoenberg, Alban Berg, Alfred Reed... even Aaron Copland tried his hand at dodecaphonic toward the end of his composing life. 'Cause (as he explained to Leonard Bernstein) he "ran out of chords".

It can be a handy discipline if you follow the rules-- and even handier when you start to break them and apply them to non-12-tone stuff.
    President of local Trekkie club. A star in France!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Posts 946
    Rep Power 536871040

Zappa messed about with 12-tone also. There's a 12-tone section in the song called "Brown shoes don't make it".
    Look for the sunlight where it's shinin'.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 468
    Rep Power 536871023

Webern wrote some great stuff using 12-tone techniques.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Germany
    Posts 99
    Rep Power 244199945

nice site

cool place to practice !
    explain the 12 tone approach a lil more. i am interrested
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,563
    Rep Power 536871127

I completely forgot about Webern... knew there was at least one other guy. Stravinsky embraced the technique in his later years as well.

No, Bill Evans' Twelve Tone Tune is not dodecaphonic, at least not strictly so.

12-tone, or dodecaphonic, composition, relies on a few rules, which Schoenberg insisted were immutable:

The basic unit is the tone row-- a series of all twelve pitches of the chromatic scale arranged in such a way that it does not suggest a diatonic (or even a tonal) harmony. All material in the composition consists of that row and its compositional permutations-- original, retrograde, strict inversion, and retrograde inversion. Once the row starts, it needs to finish. Different rows may sound simultaneously. Notes may appear in any octave.

A hallmark of this type of composition is wilfully obfuscated rhythm, i.e., the listener is not easily able to tell where the bar line is.

As usual, Wikipedia has more to say on the subject.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Seattle
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 536871014

12 tone is a ridiculous set of compositional rules. It's attempt at breaking the rules, so to speak, is largely amusical without having to actually think. Ornette Coleman or McCoy Tyner broke the rules with so much more panache. That is, they used their heart, mind, ears, soul rather than artificially preconceived anti-musical connect-the-dots composition-for-the-sake-of-composition. 12 tone music is basically only useful for horror movie soundtracks. Worst idea ever. Possibly a precursor to math rock. Not sure. Go fish.

Apologies, but I felt I had to speak on this one.

P.S. My fingernails on the chalkboard improvisations will be made available in 32 kbps mp3 format soon. Keep your ears peeeeeeled.
    Last edited by fizbin; January 30th, 2007 at 10:26 AM.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 94
    Rep Power 536871010

12 tone is a ridiculous set of compositional rules. It's attempt at breaking the rules, so to speak, is largely amusical without having to actually think. Ornette Coleman or McCoy Tyner broke the rules with so much more panache. That is, they used their heart, mind, ears, soul rather than artificially preconceived anti-musical connect-the-dots composition-for-the-sake-of-composition. 12 tone music is basically only useful for horror movie soundtracks. Worst idea ever. Possibly a precursor to math rock. Not sure. Go fish.

Apologies, but I felt I had to speak on this one.

P.S. My fingernails on the chalkboard improvisations will be made available in 32 kbps mp3 format soon. Keep your ears peeeeeeled.

Well, actually that set of rules might come handy to some composers that use it and take advantage to it. There are some works by Schoenberg, Alban Berg, Webern that are totally devoid of your "artificially preconceived anti-musical connect-the-dots composition-for-the-sake-of-composition".
    Even Stravinsky used it in a very effective way.

It's just a technique, if you use almost ANY writing technique without good musical ideas then you'll have nothing, but if you have good musical ideas, you can treat them any way you like it and they might still be VERY interesting.

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Germany
    Posts 99
    Rep Power 244199945

as usual ... if you have no clue it all sounds a lil confusing ?
    ive read through the explantations that can be found on the net, i heard some 12tone music, i had a lil time speaking to composers who are doing it ... still

i dont get the idea for real behind the concept

its chromatic approach, every note has to be in there, no note should be repeated etc. please give me a real basic example that makes my tiny brain go " BINGO ".
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts 2,467
    Rep Power 536871091

It's an interesting exercise. For me, twelve-tone arises from two concepts to which I don't hold: subjective standards of beauty and the need to be original. Neither interests me very much.

But like I say, it's an interesting exercise. Some of it sounds neato.
    Pax Christi,
    Johnny
    www.johnnydrums.com

You can't take the sky from me.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,563
    Rep Power 536871127

Well, actually that set of rules might come handy to some composers that use it and take advantage to it. There are some works by Schoenberg, Alban Berg, Webern that are totally devoid of your "artificially preconceived anti-musical connect-the-dots composition-for-the-sake-of-composition".
    Even Stravinsky used it in a very effective way.

It's just a technique, if you use almost ANY writing technique without good musical ideas then you'll have nothing, but if you have good musical ideas, you can treat them any way you like it and they might still be VERY interesting.

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread
    Nicely put.

Schoenberg et al. opted to use the technique in an atonal context but that doesn't mean it can't be adapted to a tonal one. For example you could get some additional mileage just by relaxing the edict of structuring the row so as not to suggest tonality. (I know, I've done that.)

Hell, you don't need to use 12 tones either to use these techniques.. then of course it's not dodecaphonic but probably closer to a form of pandiatonicism (provided you are using a diatonic scale or mode as your source material).
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Seattle
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 536871014

To me, this approach very much feels and sounds like an attempt at being different just to be different without a real sonic reason. Why should I use every tone once and only once? Ridiculous. I want to use A# twice and G not at all. There. Bite me Schoenborg.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,563
    Rep Power 536871127

OK, so it's not for everybody.

If you prefer to think of it as a challenge, to see if you've got anything to say using some set or subset of rules, then it could work. If you prefer not to use it at all, that's fine too.

All this is, is a set of options, and perhaps one of its intentions is to get one to think a little bit differently about the compositional process. I don't write this way as a matter of course, but it's just one more tool in my arsenal in case I ever run my composition down a blind alley or up a tree and can't get back down.
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Human humor filter
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 549
    Rep Power 536871024

Actually 12 tone composition is often handled a bit more "relaxed". There are some more different rules.

For example, you can repeat single notes directly after another; and you can group notes together to chords. Now add the fact that you can have more than one 12-tone row going at once.

One idea behind the whole principle was to avoid any semblances to traditional harmony; by using all 12 notes one most likely would avoid "favouring" certain notes and hence creating an "imbalance" toward them (and by this possibly creating a "tonal" feel for a certain piece).

A 12-tone row in itself doesn't have to sound atonal or non-harmonic; a famous example would be the row for Alban Berg's violin concerto.

One really basic and comparatively easy to understand example for a 12-tone composition would be Schoenberg's "Suite for piano op.25"; especially the "Praeludium" and the "Trio".
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Seattle
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 536871014

Actually 12 tone composition is often handled a bit more "relaxed". There are some more different rules.
    My personal favorite extra rule would be:
    • You may use any of the 12 tones as often or as little as you like.

Whattya think? Am I on to something?

fizbin
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,795
    Rep Power 2500000000

fizbin

yeah, you're onto something....tonic center.

dwoz
    knows every handout in every town Retaining water right now
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
    Posts 615
    Rep Power 536871029

fizbin
    There's an EVH quote in there, just hiding to get out...
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Seattle
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 536871014

There's an EVH quote in there, just hiding to get out...
    I should hope to be as much as half as talented and at them same time a quarter as self-assured.
    Last edited by fizbin; February 5th, 2007 at 04:48 AM.