Thread: Looking for metal to mix for free

Join Date Jun 2009
    Location UK
    Posts 101
    Rep Power 134217847

Default Looking for metal to mix for free

Hi, I am slowly building up my portfolio but I have yet to record / mix any metal (the main reason why I got into recording)

Does anyone have any recent recordings that they don't mind me mixing for free?

All I ask in return is that they are of fairly good recording quality and that I can add the final product to my portfolio.

I am using Logic 9 but don't mind importing the audio tracks (just make sure they all start at the same time) if you recorded in anything else.

@mods - if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it

edit: a 2 track bounce of the unmixed copy would be nice (just to show what I've actually done)
    Last edited by Jonathan; October 30th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Default Re: Looking for metal to mix for free

Don't you know any bands?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location UK
    Posts 101
    Rep Power 134217847

Thanks for the reply man, I've been in contact with one and they said they can get me the original files by monday which is good,

been keeping occupied with the mixit files in the meantime
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

Mixing metal. Do not try this at home, kids!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

Mixing metal. Do not try this at home, kids!
    I used to do that at home all the time when I was into jewelry making......

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

I used to do that at home all the time when I was into jewelry making......
    Then again, you're not a kid AFAICT

What a diverse group we have here
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location UK
    Posts 101
    Rep Power 134217847

Indeed, just to clarify I am not willing to mix this kind of metal for free, I have not the tools nor skills to provide such a service for no cost
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

Indeed, just to clarify I am not willing to mix this kind of metal for free, I have not the tools nor skills to provide such a service for no cost
    You should become a politician. Good save
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,074
    Rep Power 536871075

You should become a politician. Good save
    Well obviously he shouldn't be an engineer. Any engineer worth his salt would seek out Jewleryslutz.com to ask which kind of ceramic bowl under $500 would work best to change his lead into gold.

I kid...
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

No, but I wish I still was......

Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Middletown, NY
    Posts 113
    Rep Power 130

Jon

Still looking for tracks to play with? I have some stuff I recorded with my own band last year. "Metal" is a pretty broad genre. If you pressed me I'd say we are an Old School New York Hardcore Band Pretty much metal without guitar solos.

If you want to hear my attempts of recording and mixing our stuff, check out this page:
    http://abstractsurroundings.com/Sounds.html and scroll down to the band named "Eye 2 Eye" tracks.

This was actually my first attempt of recording a full band in my home studio. I've done better since, but I am pretty happy for my first attempt. If you are interested I can PM you FTP info for downloading the raw recorded tracks. All I ask is you give credit where credit is due and that if you come up with a mix you are proud of, send me a copy.

Max
    AbstractSurroundings
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location UK
    Posts 101
    Rep Power 134217847

Jon

Still looking for tracks to play with? I have some stuff I recorded with my own band last year. "Metal" is a pretty broad genre. If you pressed me I'd say we are an Old School New York Hardcore Band Pretty much metal without guitar solos.

If you want to hear my attempts of recording and mixing our stuff, check out this page:
    http://abstractsurroundings.com/Sounds.html and scroll down to the band named "Eye 2 Eye" tracks.

This was actually my first attempt of recording a full band in my home studio. I've done better since, but I am pretty happy for my first attempt. If you are interested I can PM you FTP info for downloading the raw recorded tracks. All I ask is you give credit where credit is due and that if you come up with a mix you are proud of, send me a copy.

Max
    AbstractSurroundings
    Hi, listening to them "All this hate" was the one that caught my interest would love to have a stab at mixing that one. And of course recording credit would go to you and the band if I show it to anyone else. Am I right in assuming you were the producer as well as recording engineer?

cheers

Jonathan
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Middletown, NY
    Posts 113
    Rep Power 130

I've gotten requests from several other users for the original tracks after offering them to Jonathan. If anyone else would like the tracks to mix, just PM me.

Maybe something to hold us over until the next MiXiT event, I could start a thread in another more appropriate forum here and compare our mixes, allowing comments and critiques, anyone down?

Takk
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Dec 2009
    Location Essex, UK
    Posts 34
    Rep Power 94

The most comprehensive list i've seen for mixing that stuff
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/p...-practice.html
    that will hold you for a while!
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Orlando, Florida
    Posts 4
    Rep Power 116

I've gotten requests from several other users for the original tracks after offering them to Jonathan. If anyone else would like the tracks to mix, just PM me.

Maybe something to hold us over until the next MiXiT event, I could start a thread in another more appropriate forum here and compare our mixes, allowing comments and critiques, anyone down?

Takk
    Sure, let's go!
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Middletown, NY
    Posts 113
    Rep Power 130

On second thought I don't think I have the time to dedicate to this. So I'll just leave it at "Send me a private message if you want to download the tracks." I ask in return that you upload back to me a good quality audio file of your mix. The band is no longer in existence and no more material will be released. So having your mix is just a way to help me improve my own skills. Getting to hear what someone else produced from the same raw tracks is a great way to learn. If you want to make it all public and do the whole forum thing, that's cool too. I just know I don't have the time for it right now.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location Middletown, NY
    Posts 113
    Rep Power 130

Recording info on the Eye 2 Eye songs I made available for download. About a half dozen people downloaded the files and I already got back 4 mixes. It's been a lot of fun. Anyway, I'm getting asked a lot of the same questions about what gear was used to record so I'll answer that here rather than send individual emails to everyone.

My project studio Abstract Surroundings in Middletown, NY is mostly for fun and personal use. Eye 2 Eye was a band I was in for a few years and the band is no longer playing. We never considered ourselves "musicians", just a bunch of guys having fun.

Ok, the recording...

DAW: Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio v6
    Mic Pres: SM-Pro Pr8e, M-Audio Audio Buddy
    Mics:
    Drums (a nice DW kit, all mice into the SM Pro Pr8e)
    OH's - spaced pair of Joe Meek SDC's JM27's?
    Kick - Audix D6
    Snare - SM58
    Tom - Audix i5
    Floor Tom - Audix D4

Gtr1 (Peavy EVH Wolfgang->5150->Marshall 4x12 Vint 30's->AudioBuddy Pre) - SM58

Gtr2 (Gibson SG->Peavy XXX->Marshall 4x12 Celest->AudioBuddy Pre) - SM58

Bass - Ibanez 4 string straight into SM Pro Pr8e

Vox - MXL v67g -> AudioBuddy

No outboard compression or EQ was used on any of the tracks. My pres have nothing but gain knobs and phase invert switches.

We did not track to a click (as if you couldn't tell) and most of the takes we knew had mistakes but didn't care. There were no overdubs sans the vocals which were recorded after the other tracks.

This was actually the first time I recorded a whole band. First time I recorded a whole drum kit with micing each drum. I learned a lot from it and have made better recordings since, but even with the mistakes and flaws I can still listen to it without wincing too much