Thread: Replace recording bug

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

Default Replace recording bug

Just wondering if anyone is having this issue also. I am running 9.0.2 and there still seems to be issues with replace recording.

So the other night I am recording a vocal session. After doing a take we go through to punch in some spots. Every once in a while Logic would just delete all the information after the punch in.

Yes I know I should probably call them on this, but I just want to know if anyone else has come across this.

I need to go back to 7.
    In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Replace recording bug

I believe this is still a known issue in 9.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

Default Re: Replace recording bug

Ah dammit. I was just wondering if this has occured to anyone else. I thought this all would have been sorted out by Apple already since both updates 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 have claimed that

"Performing a punch-in recording with Replace Mode now behaves correctly"

Great.
    In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Replace recording bug

I'm re-reading your problem here... are you trying to do replace mode over a take? I'm almost thinking here that you may be experiencing expected behaviour.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

I was trying to punch-in a few spots of a vocal take. I set it up the same way I always set it up in Logic 8. Punch on the fly is enabled and replace mode is enabled so I would not get the take folders. Every so often Logic would just erase the info AFTER the spot I punch in.

To be more specific, I want to punch in 1 line of a verse. Once we get to that spot it hit the * key to start recording. Then once that line is punched in I stop recordig and Logic removes the information after that punch in. It never did anything like that in 8. I may be calling their support later and trying to figure this out.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Are you setting punch in/out points or are you punching on the fly? If the former, are you stopping the recording before the punch out point?

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

punch on the fly.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Can't drive 55!
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 95
    Rep Power 45183782

This has been happening to me all night. Sucks ass.

Hoping its gonna get fixed in 9.0.3

MH
    Spammer Left handed polo player...not good.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 264
    Rep Power 0

I was trying to punch-in a few spots of a vocal take. I set it up the same way I always set it up in Logic 8. Punch on the fly is enabled and replace mode is enabled so I would not get the take folders. Every so often Logic would just erase the info AFTER the spot I punch in.

To be more specific, I want to punch in 1 line of a verse. Once we get to that spot it hit the * key to start recording. Then once that line is punched in I stop recordig and Logic removes the information after that punch in. It never did anything like that in 8. I may be calling their support later and trying to figure this out.
    Have you changed from Record mode to Record Toggle? It seems to be working fine here.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 95
    Rep Power 45183782

Have you changed from Record mode to Record Toggle? It seems to be working fine here.
    I had not changed from record to record toggle.

I AM in punch on the fly mode..

Just tried to recreate the behavior after changing into Record Toggle. It happened so randomly to me yesterday that I cant tell if changing this setting had any effect. So far So Good. Will let ya know..

What exactly does record/Record toggle mean?

MH
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 264
    Rep Power 0

I had not changed from record to record toggle.

I AM in punch on the fly mode..

Just tried to recreate the behavior after changing into Record Toggle. It happened so randomly to me yesterday that I cant tell if changing this setting had any effect. So far So Good. Will let ya know..

What exactly does record/Record toggle mean?

MH
    Record Toggle with POTF gives you the ability to punch in/out without stopping the sequencer, tape recorder style. I have my asterisk key assigned to it rather than record and here it works seamlessly.
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

yeah it happened randomly to me too, which is why it was so strange. I wll try the record toggle mode and see what happens.
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

All is well with "Record/Record Toggle" enabled. Never had this problem in 8 though and I didn't change how I usually set up a session. Oh well, as long as it works.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 264
    Rep Power 0

All is well with "Record/Record Toggle" enabled. Never had this problem in 8 though and I didn't change how I usually set up a session. Oh well, as long as it works.
    You're welcome.
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

Thank you, but unfortunately I spoke too soon. Still had it happen again after switching to "Record/Record Toggle." Here is a scenario of what happened. Just added a background vocal in the chorus to a song. Sounded good, but we want to do the first few lines over. Sooooo I hit record and go over the first few lines, then stop recording. Logic then proceeds to remove the ENTIRE take of the original recording. Any ideas or should I give the fun people over at tech support a call?
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 95
    Rep Power 45183782

Thank you, but unfortunately I spoke too soon. Still had it happen again after switching to "Record/Record Toggle." Here is a scenario of what happened. Just added a background vocal in the chorus to a song. Sounded good, but we want to do the first few lines over. Sooooo I hit record and go over the first few lines, then stop recording. Logic then proceeds to remove the ENTIRE take of the original recording. Any ideas or should I give the fun people over at tech support a call?
    Funny, I had the EXACT same thing happen today as well. If Im doing a punch and the artist make a mistake right away and I hit Stop instead of Punching out it deletes rest of the take. Not every time but more than a few times per session.

Thrill are you using a control surface to punch in and out or using key commands? Im using the Euphonix MC Control.

MH
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

Funny, I had the EXACT same thing happen today as well. If Im doing a punch and the artist make a mistake right away and I hit Stop instead of Punching out it deletes rest of the take. Not every time but more than a few times per session.

Thrill are you using a control surface to punch in and out or using key commands? Im using the Euphonix MC Control.

MH
    I do not have a control surface, just using a regular wireless keyboard. I am glad you're experiencing the same thing, it doesn't make any sense, haha. I haven't changed my workflow at all from 8 and this never ever happened.
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Posts 264
    Rep Power 0

In my experience, when weird things happen with POTF recording, trashing your preferences fixes it.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Posts 95
    Rep Power 45183782

In my experience, when weird things happen with POTF recording, trashing your preferences fixes it.
    I have tried this when the problem first started and now again and it has made no difference.

Im using a apogee symphony setup but I have seen this hapen on a rig running over built in. I have also just had it happen just after trashing prefs, in an "empty session"..

Wierd.

Asher are you running Snow Leo or 10.5.8?

How bout u Thrill?
    MH
    Last edited by VSOP; December 9th, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: OS related additional thought
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location NJ
    Posts 25
    Rep Power 112

I am running Snow Leopard, everything is up to date.

I have had this happen on 2 seperate systems though. In my house I am running an apogee ensemble on snow leopard.

I also do some work in a local studio with a MOTU 24 i/o and running 10.5.8. Have had the same issue occur on both systems. They are both running 9.0.2

For the time being I have come up with a half-assed work around. After it deletes my audio I copy the new audio then CTRL + Z to get the original audio back, then I paste the punch in with "paste at original position"