Thread: net neutrality?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,783
    Rep Power 536871336

Default net neutrality?

Here are a couple links to pdfs that explain my concerns about the idea of "net neutrality" and why I suspect it's just a scam to prevent new competition for the darlings of Silicon Valley.

Information Technology and Innovation Foundation

ASSOCIATION FOR COMPETITIVE TECHNOLOGY
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,898
    Rep Power 2500000000

Default Re: net neutrality?

There's so much double-speak around this, you can barely even get started.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

Net Neutrality detractors like to obfuscate the issue by pretending it is a bandwidth question.

It is not.

Net Neutrality simply ensures that every Internet application is treated equally.

Like simply saying a toll road fee should be the same whether you have a box of records in the back seat of your car or a gym bag.
    ~

"If I'm winning, you're in trouble." - Slipperman
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,792
    Rep Power 536871126

Net Neutrality simply ensures that every Internet application is treated equally.

Like simply saying a toll road fee should be the same whether you have a box of records in the back seat of your car or a gym bag.
    Better metaphor would be, "Like simply saying a toll road fee should be the same whether you drive a Ford Focus with a baby in the back seat or a 3-axle International dump truck with 22-tons of crushed rock in the back."
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

Better metaphor would be, "Like simply saying a toll road fee should be the same whether you drive a Ford Focus with a baby in the back seat or a 3-axle International dump truck with 22-tons of crushed rock in the back."
    No it wouldn't.

If you use a larger "capacity" vehicle. You pay more TODAY. That's why it NOT a bandwidth argument, and that's the obfuscation.

I pay more than 5 times what a consumer would pay for my connection because it is a business connection. I pay more simply because my ISP knows that I run a server. My pipe is NOT ANY FASTER OR LARGER than the average consumer's pipe at 1/5th the price. I simply pay more because of how I use my connection. That is fair.

Secondly, and more to your analogy - If I want more BANDWIDTH I will pay even more. For every bump in the capacity of my pipe. I will pay even more. If I want to run a "3-axle International dump truck with 22-tons of crushed rock in the back." I will PAY A LOT MORE. That is today's structure, and it is fair.

Net Neutrality simply says if we both have a 1989 Ford Fiesta, we both pay the same no matter what is in the back seat, and we have equal access to the same roads.
    ~

Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

Just saw this today...

~

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,217
    Rep Power 536871350

It's also a catch basin phrase

I'm very much in favour of not allowing ISPs to favour some content over others, for example - and that sort of thing tends to get thrown into that 'neutrality' bundle as well

so just because the President says he's in 'favour of' it doesn't mean anything specific
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871158

Most of what the President says doesn't mean anything specific.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

"My FCC Chairman, Julius Genachowski, has indicated that he shares the view that we've got to keep the Internet open... That we don't want to create a bunch of gateways that prevent somebody who doesn't have a lot of money, but has a good idea from being able to start their next YouTube... Or, their next Google... On the Internet."

That sounds like someone who not only gets it, but can also make it happen.
    ~

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,217
    Rep Power 536871350

I don't think that's generally true at all
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,783
    Rep Power 536871336

My understanding is that there is no way to favor some content over others besides adding additional private parallel feeds to the servers of that content. There are already companies offering precisely that service but ISPs such as AT&T and Comcast aren't allowed to compete with them.

This government sanctioned monopoly for Silicon Valley's anointed elite results in us paying the highest Internet service fees in the world for utterly mediocre service. It also throws the cost for new companies attempting to compete with Silicon Valley's anointed elite through the roof.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,898
    Rep Power 2500000000

No, more like most of what any President says doesn't have a lot of low-level detail
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

My understanding is that there is no way to favor some content over others besides adding additional private parallel feeds to the servers of that content. There are already companies offering precisely that service but ISPs such as AT&T and Comcast aren't allowed to compete with them.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. It's call QoS (Quality of Service) and it is available on even the cheapest routers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

You can get into long technical discussions of QoS, Traffic Shaping, DPI, Packet Filtering, and forged TCP resets. But really the whole thing just boils down to a simple concept: All traffic on the Internet, regardless of where it comes from, where it goes to, or what is in it (as long as it is legal) should be treated equally without any preference or deference.

The rest is simply a red herring.
    Last edited by TheNetStudio; February 4th, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
    ~

Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In Sanity
    Posts 320
    Rep Power 536870982

This government sanctioned monopoly for Silicon Valley's anointed elite results in us paying the highest Internet service fees in the world for utterly mediocre service. It also throws the cost for new companies attempting to compete with Silicon Valley's anointed elite through the roof.
    You lost me on that one. No disrespect meant here: But, how did you draw that conclusion? I perceive that quite the opposite is true.
    ~