Thread: Reverb Trick

Voice like Marcel Marceau Left handed polo player...not good.
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Malaysia
    Posts 262
    Rep Power 134217850

Default Re: Reverb Trick

Google was really helpful LOL

Thanks for the feedback,

It came straight from my staff engineer who met the ME who uses the "trick" in his mastering. Not that well known guy anyway....There are fewer than FIVE ME's in my country and only TWO whom I would even consider hiring ... that figure is dwindling fast....

So, it could be used ..... in rare instances ... not that I'd approve.

Cheers
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Messner's missing toes
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 5,097
    Rep Power 536871178

No! I told you once.

Cheers - Pär
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871156

Google, as always, knows the answer:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ma...22&btnG=Google (first link).

MacRecursion
    Well, there you go.

Next...
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location San Francisco
    Posts 80
    Rep Power 402653333

Not to beat the lifeless, rotting corpse of a horse, but I have heard some ME's use a tasteful pinch of verb when called for. If I recall, it was plate so there's no hsshhhh of near reflections, and a bit of predelay. I don't know how much of a "secret" it is, or if I've put myself on a list for a midnight visit for posting this.

That having been said, I'm no ME and others here have much deeper waters to draw from.

Best,

Haroun

PS. Everyone knows brown mixes are never shaken, always gently stirred. You don't want your mix to be a dilute slushy.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Never made a record...music forum mod!
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 487
    Rep Power 536870998

A demo that I engineered was ruined by this "trick" being used in the "mastering" process.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location 台灣, 高雄 Not that anyone can read that....
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 0

While a wet Flanger on the MasterFader kills the reverb on the MasterFader trick, it should be used with discretion. However, one great trick that is so subtle that it can used at 100% and will never be detrimental to your mix and only make it better is the whole: learn your levels trick. Aside from that one, it should be mentioned to buy as many mic pre amps and wave plugin bundles as your budget will allow, as this will only prove as a investment to the success path in mixing.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Always picked last for sports
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,907
    Rep Power 536871172

Aside from that one, it should be mentioned to buy as many mic pre amps and wave plugin bundles as your budget will allow, as this will only prove as a investment to the success path in mixing.
    Cary...

Now you've gone an done it!

Some idiot will believe this...shame on you for spreading internet falsehoods!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Vancouver, Washington
    Posts 1,165
    Rep Power 536871046

Some idiot will believe this...shame on you for spreading internet falsehoods!
    Falsehoods? FALSEHOODS?!

I just went and put in a HUGE, NON-REFUNDABLE order with
    Sweetwater, Musician's Friend AND Guitar Center!
    Allen 'Big Al' Wagner
    My Recording Studio: http://BigToeStudio.com
    My Bliggity Blog: http://HomeStudioGuru.com
    My Podcast: The Project Studio Network Podcast

"I don't care if you got 90 tracks, what does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,472
    Rep Power 536871076

Google, as always, knows the answer:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ma...22&btnG=Google (first link).

MacRecursion
    You've been way too long into programming...

Marco
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 0

I was poking fun at myself, remember when I FIRST came here, I threw down for WAVES SSL Bundle, MCDSP Emerald, the URS classic console and the Massey plugz before knowing how to gain stage or balance.... I did GAS-out once since, on the URS CSP Pro.

It can't be said enough for getting to know your speakers and just experience on critical listening.
    Why? Otherwise, all the gear in the world ain't gonna make sense or practical use... Not to mention you mixes will suck ass.
    Back then, I really couldn't discern anything except for truly great guitars, amps and guitar OD's/FX pedals... Now my ears much more discerning to the point I feel ripped off at the movies when the mix is all wrong regarding distance, reverb, and overall natural balances... pisses me off actually, and detracts from enjoying a once simple past time...seeing a flick! Fuck!
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,360
    Rep Power 536871068

...detracts from enjoying a once simple past time...seeing a flick! Fuck!
    You and me both. The other problem I have is that my other (badly neglected) hobby is photography. You start to see things though a lens. Now I hear the bad soundtrack and see the bad photography.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 0

You and me both. The other problem I have is that my other (badly neglected) hobby is photography. You start to see things though a lens. Now I hear the bad soundtrack and see the bad photography.
    fuck don't tell me that shit, I just bought a Canon XSi DSLR to get into photography! hehe
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,563
    Rep Power 536871061

"Reverb on the 2bus"...

It's funny how anything that somebody used once on some record that needed that particular device can suddenly be branded a "trick" on the internet, and thus insinuate that is should be used mindlessly all the time.

OK, most of us won't for obvious reasons, but think of the n00bs...the poor n00bs with their cavernous drowning-in-FreeVerb masters...

I'd only ever reach for reverb on the 2 if it was some particularly spacial sounding mix (fucked if I even know what that means...I think I'm thinking of some sort of chilled out electronic swirly shit or something...) that really needed to sound...well...slightly strange.

Or perhaps if someone handed me e.g. an oldschool rock session with absolutely NO room sound in it, I may be tempted to bung a room on the 2...but more likely than not I'd still do it individually to try and gain some control over WHERE in the room everything was sitting.

And if this "trick" is supposed to be about "glue" or something...shouldn't that have been addressed in mix?

I'm struggling to see the mileage in this.

In fact, to me this stinks of one of those "tricks" that a n00b has discovered that he thinks makes his mix sound cool. Until he gets a bit better at the game and realises that it sounds like dogshit most of the time.

However, if said ME is particularly respected and gets results, and it works for him, fine, whatever. Can't see myself doing it though, and I certainly wouldn't reccomend it to others as a "trick".

That's not to say there's never going to be a use for it though...

Any n00bs reading this: be careful please. For all our sakes.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,795
    Rep Power 2500000000

I've got absolutely nothing at all, ever, against putting a little reverb on the main buss. If I want reverb, I use reverb. If I don't want reverb, I don't.

That's the part that gets me crazy here. Making a mix translate across a large variety of repro systems...not a creative decision. Making a mix 'sit' with other mixes on an album, by using EQ to put it in the same general space...not a creative decision. Making a mix a bit hotter, and applying some compression or limiting to adjust the RMS...not a creative decision.

...applying reverb to the mix....VERY MUCH a creative decision.

Meaning,

ONLY IF I ASK FOR IT.

I can see if the ME calls up, and says...."hey, you know song 4...that subtle reverb with the short sweet tails...yeah, when I level it to the other tracks, that reverb characteristic really goes away. I think you need to have the levels up where I put them, but we have to do something about that reverb that was compromised. I can touch it up here with a little shot of medium plate..."

THAT is ok. nothing else.

dwoz
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Holder of the Holy Handgrenade
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,919
    Rep Power 2500000000

When I have been hired to mix multitrack audio of a concert, sometimes I have applied reverb to the 2buss in order to create a little more 'live immersion' for the listener.

Outside that circumstance, I don't think I ever have needed to.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on little Lord Fauntleroy
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Posts 70
    Rep Power 536871007

When I have been hired to mix multitrack audio of a concert, sometimes I have applied reverb to the 2buss in order to create a little more 'live immersion' for the listener.
    Nearly same here. Done a fair amount of making the best of straight from the desk or 2 mic live recordings and done well it can be a life saver in those circumstances. For a 'normal' master... Meh... Icky icky icky unless the mix is beyond fubar.
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Milan
    Posts 138
    Rep Power 134217820

I'd only ever reach for reverb on the 2 if it was some particularly spacial sounding mix (fucked if I even know what that means...I think I'm thinking of some sort of chilled out electronic swirly shit or something...) that really needed to sound...well...slightly strange.
    exactly! i use reverb on my mixes sometimes, but then i tend to make the chilled out electronic swirly shit you speak of. i couldn't really see doing it to any other person's music (without their permission), or on any kind of commercial music.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi no, I'm not bitter....really I'm not
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location oHIo
    Posts 3
    Rep Power 71

Default Re: Tricky Trick

My secret trick is the custom meters on PT9 (superbeta) that peak @ +80
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,552
    Rep Power 536871058

My secret trick is lots of shmaltz... and not just any kind of shmaltz.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,432
    Rep Power 536871456

and not just any kind of shmaltz.
    Kosher Schmaltz?

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif