Spammer "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Location I live in central North Carolina.
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

Default I have a really dumb question regarding tracking an amp sim pedal.

I just got this Sansamp British pedal, and I've heard samples on youtube that sound really good. However, it just doesn't sound that great when I run it straight through the Hi-z on my audio interface.

Would I get a much better result running this through a really nice preamp, like say a Neve? I don't have said preamp, but I guess I could rent one if I thought it would make this pedal sound any better.
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

Default Re: I have a really dumb question regarding tracking an amp sim pedal.

I guess it WAS a dumb question, since I got 15 views and nada.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location salt lake city yeewtaw
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

that pedal's made to go into a guitar amp, preferably tube, for the best results.
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,261
    Rep Power 536871061

I don't know the British, but I got OK results playing a Liverpool direct.
    What are you up to with it?
    What do you expect the preamp to do?

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

I'm hoping a pre could give it more warmth, more body... just overall sound better than going DI. It's weird. Imitating the settings used in the Youtube demo (which sounded great), it just doesn't sound that great recorded.

that pedal's made to go into a guitar amp, preferably tube, for the best results.
    It's a Marshall type pedal, but can I run it though any tube amp that has a good clean?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

well, the best idea i can come up with, would be to marry that pedal with an amp that takes advantage of whatever sonics that particular pedal has...

maybe, running it into a 5 watt EL84 driven amp wide open, would be perfect...

or maybe running it into a very clean and quiet 100 watt fender twin, would be even better...

i can't say, cuz i don't know what kind of sound your after.

but i can GUARANTEE, it aint gonna sound like a real marshall.

but, that's not the point.

the point is, you don't want to run a pedal like this direct, that's not what it's made for.
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,568
    Rep Power 536871191

OK, look.

You're wondering about the lack of response? I just got curious after reading this, and had a few minutes I could take. So I went to the Tech21 site and downloaded the manual.

It tells you, in a simple manual running the epic length all of five pages, that the output is a low impedance output that, depending on settings, can run anywhere from unity gain levels to be suitable for a straight guitar amp input like any pedal, to line level.

So did you just run the output right into a line input and try that out to see how it sounded?

The point here is that this place is a great resource of helpful people to point you toward clues and answer questions about topics beyond their current level of knowledge and understanding, to explain concepts that might puzzle people somewhere on the learning curve, as we all are, to help sort out confusing and mystifying situations, and so on.

Come here asking questions that show that you can't even bother to crack open the manual for your own gear, and want other people to do the most basic homework for you, and you might find that you're mostly being ignored.

So.

This time, you're welcome.

Next time, it will only be "RTFM".

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871091

Yet to hear a "normal" pedal that sounds good direct without LOTS of arsing around with EQ.

A new pre will do you no good in that respect. Run it through an amp, or get something like that Palmer box Slippy was destroying (check the radio).
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

Yet to hear a "normal" pedal that sounds good direct without LOTS of arsing around with EQ.

A new pre will do you no good in that respect. Run it through an amp, or get something like that Palmer box Slippy was destroying (check the radio).
    I checked out a palmer box, and it was close to $200. Can you recommend something cheaper. Would a regular DI box work, and then just run from the DI to the preamp?

The point here is that this place is a great resource of helpful people to point you toward clues and answer questions about topics beyond their current level of knowledge and understanding, to explain concepts that might puzzle people somewhere on the learning curve, as we all are, to help sort out confusing and mystifying situations, and so on.

Come here asking questions that show that you can't even bother to crack open the manual for your own gear, and want other people to do the most basic homework for you, and you might find that you're mostly being ignored.
    I did not get a manual with the thing, so I didn't think about finding one to download. I've never downloaded a manual in my 32 years, so it wasn't something I thought of.

Instead I come to a forum, where people ask all sorts of questions and share all sorts of information. I have information inside my head that someday I might share here, IF I decide to stay. I'm new year, and I didn't think it was too much to expect people to be kind and generous with their input.

The fact is, I've never dealt too much with this sim type pedals. I understood that other pedals are usually combined with an amp, but I thought that this one could be inputed direct for usable results. Guess not.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

I checked out a palmer box, and it was close to $200. Can you recommend something cheaper.
    200 bucks is pretty damn cheap for what the Palmer does. It's pretty much rock bottom. Even a GOOD passive DI (with a good transformer) will cost you 150 bucks and up.

I've never downloaded a manual in my 32 years, so it wasn't something I thought of.
    See how useful this forum is? You've learned something really valuable already.

I have information inside my head that someday I might share here, IF I decide to stay.
    Is it about who really shot J.R. Ewing in "Dallas"?

I didn't think it was too much to expect people to be kind and generous with their input.
    I thought Eagan was very kind and generous to look up the manual and do your homework for you.

The fact is, I've never dealt too much with this sim type pedals.
    That's fine. Just making sure you get this: No one here is gonna beat your ass for not knowing stuff. No one is going to ridicule you for lack of experience. They might, however, beat your ass for being lazy.

I thought that this one could be inputed direct for usable results. Guess not.
    See? Yet another valuable piece of knowledge that comes to you as a direct result of spending time on this forum.

Welcome to the Womb!

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

i think you might be better off, to send that pedal back, and look for a used POD...
    if you want to work direct, and are not really concerned with 'stellar' guitar tracks.
    that'd be the 'cut to the chase' solution.
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

i think you might be better off, to send that pedal back, and look for a used POD...
    if you want to work direct, and are not really concerned with 'stellar' guitar tracks.
    that'd be the 'cut to the chase' solution.
    I would do that, but got it second hand. I guess I'm just gonna see if I can borrow an amp from someone, because I can't afford a $200 direct box.
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,261
    Rep Power 536871061

the point is, you don't want to run a pedal like this direct, that's not what it's made for.
    Those sansamp character thingies have a speaker emulation and very effective EQ.
    So, they can be used direct, in principle.
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

I can't afford a $200 direct box.
    That's OK - a DI box is not what's going to make the desired difference, in this case.

A good DI box may give you subtle improvement over a bad one, but it's not going to turn a guitar sound you hate into a guitar sound you love.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

Those sansamp character thingies have a speaker emulation and very effective EQ.
    So, they can be used direct, in principle.
    nope, not these pedals.

you're thinking of the SANSAMP classic, and even those didn't sound that good used direct, versus a miced cab.....(i've used them, so that's my subjective opinion)

the newer pedal, is really meant to drive an amp, and adds an eq to that amp that helps it sound more like the character of the pedal intent...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

to be fair to sansamp...
    i think the classic series worked well, driving a tube amp.
    it's more like a really refined preamp circuit (all analog) and i think that's pretty cool.

the speaker sims in those things, i never thought were actually very good.

that said, i use a sansamp BASS DI on a regular basis, and love it..

but guitars, they're a more tricky beast.

i use a Palmer PDI-09 as a go-between my amp and my recording interface...

i've found it to be excellent.

that, and a WEBER Mass Lite, lets me tame my live rig for recording at any volume, even late night.
    it's a great compromise to full out miced cabs, which is always the preference.
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Posts 42
    Rep Power 0

If I were to get a Pod, like the XT, will running THAT though a nice preamp be beneficial?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871090

not any more beneficial than running a really nice LDC thru a really nice preamp, versus a crappy one.....
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

If I were to get a Pod, like the XT, will running THAT though a nice preamp be beneficial?
    It will be beneficial in as much as it enhances the quality of the recording.

As I said before, it's not gonna turn a crappy sound into a good one, or a tone you hate into one you love.

Get it at the source first. Not in the signal chain.

otek
    Tainted Love Potion Number Nine Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871186

My suggestion would be to send a message to the person who posted your favorite YouTube video and ask them what exactly was in their rig when they recorded, or look in the sidebar and see if they list the gear.

Sounds to me that you have a pedal that isn't really for DI, even if it has that capability. I have the Tech 21 XXL pedal and it sounds like an alien insect invasion when used direct, but it can get more than decent results driving an amp.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.