Thread: digico consoles

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

Default digico consoles

hey

if any of you have a lot of experience with digico consoles I would like to just get your impressions of them. I'm still getting used to the one we are using now and I'm getting used to it's quirks, but I'm not sure that I'm digging it. I know some Digico users are pretty enthusiastic, so I'd like to hear about that to see if my impressions are just my bias or something.
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

Default Re: digico consoles

I'm actually interested on what you think of them Pounce. I checked on out at our local gear expo and thought they looked badass. How they sound, well, I wouldn't know.

How do you find the layout/workflow?

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Extremely amiable discussion partner Rosemary Woods' tape op
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location FRANCE
    Posts 872
    Rep Power 251658499

hey

if any of you have a lot of experience with digico consoles I would like to just get your impressions of them. I'm still getting used to the one we are using now and I'm getting used to it's quirks, but I'm not sure that I'm digging it. I know some Digico users are pretty enthusiastic, so I'd like to hear about that to see if my impressions are just my bias or something.
    Which model are you using?

It is not my favorite live board but depending on model, it certainly is one of the better digital consoles on the market, and in my experience I think they sound better than most other digital consoles and have a very short learning curve.

However, I don't really like the layout or feel of the knobs and how some things are presented on the screen.

What is it that bugs you about your console?
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871055

I've never met anyone who didn't declare them the best thing since the dog in the bathtub, but I haven't played on one extensively yet.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

all I can tell you is that from the OTHER side, every time we have a Digidesign digital desk for monitors, everyone in the band is okay.
    every time we have a Digico, everyone in the band complains it sounds like crap

consistently

so I tend to think their A-D is crap

although naturally a decent analogue desk still sounds best
    Last edited by weedywet; April 24th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

it's a D5T that we are using.

I like it well enough. It's fine. I don't think it's extra special.

It does some things pretty well. I'm just so damn used to some other desks that I have to get used to the way it works. The more I've bent my mind to their way of working the more agreeable it is.

I think it sounds ok, I'm not convinced it sounds so good as to be worth the raves I've heard about it. The show I'm working on is more dialogue, so comparing that use to "band" use isn't very fair. So I do like it better after a few weeks of using it. I'm not enthusiastic about it, but no big complaints.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

all I can tell you is that for the OTHER side, every time we have a Digidesign digital desk for monitors, everyone in the band is okay.
    every time we have a Digico, everyone in the band complains it sounds like crap

consistently

so I tend to think their A-D is crap
    WW,

Just out of interest is it latency issue making the band members complain, or does it just sound crap?

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location FRANCE
    Posts 872
    Rep Power 251658499

I think it sounds ok, I'm not convinced it sounds so good as to be worth the raves I've heard about it.
    The rave reviews have to be taken in context; compared to the plethora of 'cheap', shitty sounding Yamaha consoles that are everywhere, and what most people are used to, or the equally cheap Allen and Heath, Makie etc, a top of the line Digico console sound enormously better.

The absolute best digital live consoles I've ever used and heard are the Stagetec Aurus
    and the Studer Vista consoles, both of which are so expensive that you will only see/use them regularly if you work in some of the top flight National theaters in Europe or broadcast.

As far as how they sound in monitors, I don't know that I can make critical sound quality comparisons between a Digico and Digidesign console through stage monitors on a noisy rock and roll stage, and I have quiet a bit of experience with both. Knowing what I know about the sound of both consoles in a controlled situation, I'm willing to bet that this has more to do with the operator than the console. I know for a fact that I am more comfortable, work better and faster on a Digidesign console than on a Digico console and this can sometimes result in a better mix on the Digi console, this is probably the same for WW's monitor engineer.

Given the choice I would run with either Digi console over any Digico console, but that decision is based mostly on other factors than sound as I don't think there is a lot of difference in the sound between both consoles.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

WW,

Just out of interest is it latency issue making the band members complain, or does it just sound crap?

Cheers,
    Tim
    latency can be annoying, but I'm talking about actual sound quality

it just sounds poopy.
    you get that "where IS everything?" feeling you got from early cheap digital, like ADAT
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

As far as how they sound in monitors, I don't know that I can make critical sound quality comparisons between a Digico and Digidesign console through stage monitors on a noisy rock and roll stage, and I have quiet a bit of experience with both. ....
    actually this is with in ears. so it's not per se 'on a noisy rock stage'
    and the difference is striking and consistent.
    also, actually, the monitor engineer on at least one occasion was much more comfortable on the Digico and was lobbying for it.. while all of us clearly preferred the sound of the Digidesign

with the Digidesign I can be 'fooled' and not notice the monitor desk.
    With the Digico, as soon as I put on the ears, without having seen the desk, I KNOW it's digital.
    And I'm not the only one. I've seen the drummer show up at soundcheck, put in his ears and play and turn to the monitor guy and ask, unhappily, "is that a digital desk today??"
    you hear it immediately.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location FRANCE
    Posts 872
    Rep Power 251658499

actually this is with in ears. so it's not per se 'on a noisy rock stage'
    and the difference is striking and consistent.
    I never noticed this before and will do a comparison with my in ears next time I have the chance. My comparison between the two have been at FOH through the PA.

If you can be fooled by the Digi (which I also like a lot) I really hope that you get the chance to listen to the Stagetec console.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

As I've already said elsewhere, I hate digital consoles. I don't understand why everybody doesn't just stick with Midas Analog.

I'll shut up now.......
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

As I've already said elsewhere, I hate digital consoles. I don't understand why everybody doesn't just stick with Midas Analog.

I'll shut up now.......
    The other audio guy and I did spec the Midas digital board first, ha ha. There were some practical reasons why it didn't happen. So we'll have to split the difference there.

In rock and roll I'd pick a Midas H3000 first, but for theatre work a digital board can be very helpful. You might be surprised how many scenes, sound effects cues, and plain weird routing we need that the average analog board would not help with (despite how good they make bands sound).

And for the dialogue we are running it's not as big of a deal. This desk does sound good enough for a legit theatre show. No band, no musical numbers, just dialogue and effects. A ton of them mind you, but just that. 32 channels of wireless mics and plus redundant 32 channel qlab audio playback systems into a surround audio system using 90 speakers in the house. Just such a weird setup that a digital board and a ton of XTA's really help make sense of it.

so my answer is in the right tool for the job variety, but yes, a Midas sounds better than this to my ears. It's perhaps just that the eq's on here react a little slower and with a wider q, in a british sort of way it being a british desk and all, than let's say a Yamaha and it's more surgical eq. So even in digital form some people prefer the british approach this embodies hence the hype. It's best features seem to be the way the software is configured for theatre usage, and it's "live update" mode and "alias" features. Might not matter for most rock and roll applications, as theatre and rock and roll are sometimes totally different beasts.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

you can't narrow the Q????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

yes you can, but it still reacts differently than a yamaha for instance, and you do have to be a bit more aggressive sometimes to get something happening.

In the case of this sort of theatre, we will have many of the DPA 4061 mics out at once, all of which are omni, and have them in a theatre that is almost in the round. We have certainly gotten things eq'd to our taste, but it definitely responds in it's own way. Getting things gain staged properly and eq'd properly is quite a trick because so many mics might be out at once, and the show has everything from whispers to yelling, so we needed to do just a little bit of notching in the eq and noticed that it took a bit more doing on the digico, which probably would be great in standard musical applications.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

that's what i ALWAYS find about digital eq

it takes 3 times as much to get the same effect
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

Yeah...but that's more to do with the "collateral damage" aspect of analogue eq, rather than an actual fault on the part of digital eq.

In other words, it's actually an analogue "fault" that we have - over time - come to regard as a feature...rather than the digital eq being "wrong".

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location FRANCE
    Posts 872
    Rep Power 251658499

yes you can, but it still reacts differently than a yamaha for instance, and you do have to be a bit more aggressive sometimes to get something happening.
    Well, if you like, or is used to the Yamaha (especially the PM4000, PM5D, M7CL and LS9 consoles) sound the Digico is going to take some getting used to. It's this same aggressiveness in their sound that you refer to that I dislike, the Yamaha EQ is very aggressive and peaky (it felt like four bands of notch filters with 50 db of gain/attenuation) and with the PM4000 analog console became the default sound of American rock n roll.

Very few of these consoles were sold in europe for this reason, (I have only seen one PM4000 since living here) and their digital consoles all have a similar aggressive, peaky sound and are probably some of the worst sounding consoles on the market. This however hasn't hurt their sales, the PM5D and equally crappy sounding M7CL are everywhere.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location FRANCE
    Posts 872
    Rep Power 251658499

what I really dislike about them are their dynamic processors. That is where the ugliness is most present in my opinion, and the Yamaha live console line have a lot of it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

Yeah...but that's more to do with the "collateral damage" aspect of analogue eq, rather than an actual fault on the part of digital eq.

In other words, it's actually an analogue "fault" that we have - over time - come to regard as a feature...rather than the digital eq being "wrong".

Cheers,
    Tim
    maybe

I remain unconvinced (no one manages to 'build in' the thing they love to CLAIM they 'know" is the difference,)
    or perhaps uncaring.

the result is the same