Thread: digico consoles

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871069

Default Re: digico consoles

I've heard the "you're not even in the Midas sweet spot" (red) dude are yoo stoopid?" before...
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,261
    Rep Power 379012223

I've heard the "you're not even in the Midas sweet spot" (red) dude are yoo stoopid?" before...
    A dude is a tourist on a horse. Don't call me dude, greenhorn!

(Sorry, too many cows around where I grew up......)
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Craves piCklEmiLk Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Location London Town
    Posts 447
    Rep Power 268435585

Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Liverpool UK and Amman, Jordan
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 36

Digico d5 sound crap. The eq doesn't do what it should, the compressors and fx are cheap rubbish. The A to D is really poor.
    Add to that it's a pain in the arse to use, but that may be because you're fighting to make it sound good and it just won't do it.
    They're made by Soundtrax who could never make a decent analogue console so why would they make a decent digital.
    They sound like mp3 through an adat with behringer dynamics and alesis fx.
    I don't like digital anyway but at least with a PM5D you have a reasonable basic sound and good quality tools on board. With a soundcraft Vi6 you get their proven track record with mic pre-amps and eq, DBX graphics and lexicon FX.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Always picked last for sports
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,904
    Rep Power 536871171

...DBX graphics and lexicon FX.
    Great...

Oh...you think that's a good thing? Sorry dude.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838661

Digico consoles are the very standar of clasical music and theatre production, and it is a top console for pop, alternative and rock touring. I've seen Foo Fighters, Bjork, The Killers, Peter Gabriel, U2 using Digico.

You could say you don't like it, or you prefere other, but there's no way you can say it sounds bad.

And for WW to know, the main difference between live consoles preamps is THD+3 and dynamic range.

And it is really hard to say A-D are crap.

So, could anybody say that major touring bands are wrong using Digico so easily?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

We had an SD8 come through recently. It's a great console.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838661

Excellent.

I think the SDs software is much better than D consoles.

You will love it, specially the way you can set layouts. Very important for theatre.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Location England
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 66

Digico consoles are the very standar of clasical music and theatre production, and it is a top console for pop, alternative and rock touring. I've seen Foo Fighters, Bjork, The Killers, Peter Gabriel, U2 using Digico.

You could say you don't like it, or you prefere other, but there's no way you can say it sounds bad.

And for WW to know, the main difference between live consoles preamps is THD+3 and dynamic range.

And it is really hard to say A-D are crap.

So, could anybody say that major touring bands are wrong using Digico so easily?
    Bjork is well known for using the Avid Dshow, they archive the recordings on Pro-Tools as she has that in her studio. Article here: http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Bjork...adVENUEProfile
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838661

Bjork is well known for using the Avid Dshow, they archive the recordings on Pro-Tools as she has that in her studio. Article here: http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/Bjork...adVENUEProfile

Hey Roland,

I mentioned those bands not because somebody told they use Digico or for an article, but because I've been there with them.

I saw Bjorks engineers at Lollapalooza Chile 2012 using a SD7 at FOH, a SD8-24 at mon and two SD-racks. All conected by optics.

BTW, The AVID video says it was the 2007 tour.

Cheers
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Location England
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 66

Point taken, however, it may well be that they were using the Digico because it was a festival and that was what was provided?

Most top bands have show files for Digidesign, Yamaha, Digico and as has been stated here and in many other forums any decent engineer can get a great sound on any of these desks. Then you start comming down to personal preferences, mine is for the Dshow as it is the one I know the best, I also own it and I like the fact that it's an all in one solution with good enough effects to pull off the show without resorting to racks of outboard.

My experience with the Digico's is more limited, however, I've been able to mix good show's on them, hate the effects, IMHO Alesis Midiverb level, (the inclusion of the Waves effects engine demonstrates that they are aware this has been a problem for them). Yamaha's, always a standby, for me they don't set the world alight, but the effects are useable and they get the job done.

I'd love to really like the Midas, however, it's inclusion of only one band of EQ control available at a time is in my personal view a terrible ergonomic decision.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

I'll be using an Avid Venue this summer, so I'll be better able to chime in after that season.

I can say I was shocked at the quality of the reverbs in the Digico console, and not in a good way. Odd that they got so much other stuff right but really are behind in effects quality.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Chile
    Posts 102
    Rep Power 58838661

Point taken, however, it may well be that they were using the Digico because it was a festival and that was what was provided?
    No, all of them were touring with their own equipment.

Most top bands have show files for Digidesign, Yamaha, Digico and as has been stated here and in many other forums any decent engineer can get a great sound on any of these desks. .
    Actually, don't; Top bands prepare so hard and spend time and money for their shows they only use the gear they work with. Also, when you are touring you don't have much time for doing a new sound chek.

My experience with the Digico's is more limited, however, I've been able to mix good show's on them, hate the effects, IMHO Alesis Midiverb level, (the inclusion of the Waves effects engine demonstrates that they are aware this has been a problem for them).
    Sorry, but don't again. Digital consoles are including Waves Soundgrid compatibility becasue Waves develop an excellent and reliable OTB processing using ethernet, and everybody loves Waves plugs.

I can notice there isn't that much info about how top bands work when doing live shows. Probably it would by great to talk about that.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location The pub, Sydney
    Posts 272
    Rep Power 506921256

I'll be using an Avid Venue this summer, so I'll be better able to chime in after that season.

I can say I was shocked at the quality of the reverbs in the Digico console, and not in a good way. Odd that they got so much other stuff right but really are behind in effects quality.
    Discounting reverb and effects, I'd like to hear your thoughts now about the Digico experience etc compared to the Avid boards.

Havn't yet heard a SCAB or Venue or other Avid I liked yet.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,866
    Rep Power 536871070

Just finished an install at a new 700-seat roadhouse venue where they went with a digico SD9 package.

I haven't driven the thing for a show, but just in the little playing that I did do, I'm impressed with the overall "sound" of the desk.

I'm not a huge fan of the touchscreen interface, but thankfully there are one-touch methods to eliminate the need to do everything on the touchscreen. The touchscreen also has been tuned so that you need a definitive touch to activate any menu. A blessing and a curse. It keeps random windows from popping up if you accidentally lay your hand near the screen. But it also means that to activate any window, you need a fairly firm press...meaning that if you're rushing, it may not catch your first press. Again, not having driven the desk in a show situation, I'm not sure if this is actually an issue or not...

My last reservation despite all the good things is that its windows based. For lots of technical reasons, I've never fully trusted devices that use the real-time windows implementations. Despite that, I have USED many devices that are, but always have a sense of fear in the back of my mind.
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    Man from Glad understudy Burma Shaver
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,110
    Rep Power 536871045

and everybody loves Waves plugs.
    Nonsense.

I for one dislike the waves bundle for live. I end up dialling in parameters that aren't necessary which causes me to neglect what I'm doing there which is mixing the show!!! Don't get me started on the mouse.

I'm with Jason on this
    "There is no movement in golf that cannot be made more difficult through diligent study and practice." - Leslie Nielson

"do not misconstrue a lack of planning on YOUR part for a crisis on MY part." - Shotgun

www.bowermanstudios.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871069

Heh, Waves.

I liked the SD7, SD8 consoles and except for the verbs preferred their sound to Digidesign desks. That said, I would have to use them more to be better at getting around on them.

Then again I still prefer some of the analog consoles that are "sub" rider material.
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,718
    Rep Power 536871331

It's logical to me that a very low latency reverb probably wouldn't sound very good.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    And Then there Were Three Dog Night Group sex therapist
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,875
    Rep Power 536871170

It's logical to me that a very low latency reverb probably wouldn't sound very good.
    Not necessarily (for example ValhallaRoom runs at zero and is really nice) and you can trade predelay for latency.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,718
    Rep Power 536871331

I understand that comparing a native DAW to a low latency DSP chip based console is a false equivalence.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson