1. #581
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 536871009

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    I captured this from gearslutz before the thread was shut down.

    Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
    ...{Removed by Aardvark}...
    Peter Gunn
    Last edited by Aardvark; May 6th, 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Bogus quote even if it was funny.
  2. #582
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    I feel the need to pour beer over someone's head. [Downs pint and leaves]
    "Facts, not opinions" David Kirkaldy.
    Ultimate Casio CZ for Kontakt
    My Music
  3. #583
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,854
    Rep Power 2500000000

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Actually, we're not really interested in you, Ethan. What has happened is just exactly the same as coming 'round a bend in the road, and seeing an overturned car, blood on the road, and EMT's acting frantic. Its not that you're interested in what's going on, its that you're hoping it is blocked by something as you drive by.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

    "...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

    "...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
  4. #584
    Join Date Mar 2010
    Location Sunny Seattle
    Posts 836
    Rep Power 536870996

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Why is that interesting? Because simply put, if someone had accused me of having an ALT account or using another member's account to post, when I hadn't, I would have simply said "I don't use other accounts to post; only this one".
    That's the first question anyone who has any bulletin board experience would ask, really.

    It's usually the guilty that attack the evidence without simply refuting the initial claim.
    Sorry, in this case you're implying that knowlege of the internet is equal to guilt.

    And it's not.

    The first thing administrators should have done, if they haven't, is in fact checked IP's for the various individuals, and then checked to see if any of them were forwarding or anonymity sites.

    Pointing out that one should do this is not a sign of guilt. My goodness.
    Grumpily,
    jj,
    Stalwart defender of Fourier, Fletcher, and Shannon, and who speaks, at most, for himself.
  5. #585
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location New Milford, CT USA
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 0

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Don Phillips puts up a shattering amount of credible information about your sockpuppet escapades on other forums, and you don't defend.
    No, "Don Phillips" (aka "Michigan J. Frog" and countless others) is the sock-puppet. I don't do that. I don't need to do that. And I don't need to respond to trolls like him. In all of the places he accused me of posting under multiple accounts, the moderator was asked to confirm his accusations. That never happened. As I recall you guys here asked him for proof, which he never provided.

    What did happen was two different mods sent me IP addresses showing that Mr. Phillips was a sock puppet. All the IP addresses are in Quebec, with the same numbers or narrow range of numbers. So in case it was not clear before, I assure you I don't do that and don't need to do that. Hopefully this won't come up again, and you won't ASSume that just because I don't reply to the likes of "Don Phillips" implies I'm guilty.

    Who on earth would have a reason to want those threads gone? Think. Think. Wait! You would! Did you PM Jules, as you've emailed me, to delete those threads? Did you tell him you were only going to "ask nicely once?"
    No, I didn't ask Jules to remove those threads. They showed all of my detractors in a very bad light - no points, just insults - and I was rather enjoying the circus. Especially amusing were the posts by John Eppstein. Mixerman, you're in good company with John's presence here.

    Really, my only purpose popping up here now was to show how paranoid and delusional you are. And you are. You are obsessed with me, and your obsession has you imagining that everyone who agrees with me must be me posting under a different name. This is exactly what "Don Phillips" - defender and promoter of the most outrageous audiophoole snake oil - does too. So again you're in good company.

    BTW, I'm still disappointed that you chickened out of a video debate with me. Your refusal to engage me summarizes your inadequacy in the entire 2,000+ "Ethan thread" posts over the past months.

    Carry on.

    --Ethan
  6. #586
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,854
    Rep Power 2500000000

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    What are we talking here...multiple personality disorder?


    oh, and by the way....Dick Cheney STILL tosses out the rotting canard that Saddam Hussein was involved with 9/11...


    ...and Dana Perino tells us that 9/11 didn't happen on Bush's watch.

    Is this much the same thing?
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

    "...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

    "...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
  7. #587
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,854
    Rep Power 2500000000

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Basically, since he's shut down just about everywhere else, he has to come back to ground zero.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

    "...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

    "...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
  8. #588
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Regular person but for the extra nipple
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,160
    Rep Power 536871147

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    They showed all of my detractors
    Sorry, this is a serious question because I' not a native speaker: detractors as in 'defamer', 'critic' or 'opponent'? This word has a couple of different meanings over here.

    Mac
    .
    Mac

    Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

    Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

    Creating complex solutions is easy.

  9. #589
    Join Date Mar 2010
    Location Sunny Seattle
    Posts 836
    Rep Power 536870996

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Uh, unless you guys have some evidence regarding all this sockpuppetry, you should stop shouting about it.

    You don't like Ethan. Yes, I can see that. I can even see some reasons why, I was more than a bit peeved when he once lumped me in with the audiophool high end (please note modifier to "high end") myself in regard to, I think it was the "Skeptic" article.

    But you're beating on the wrong guy, I think.

    And all of this flamage does nobody any good, and just keeps the same old polarization intact.

    So I would suggest:

    WILL YOU ALL, ETHAN INCLUDED, JUST STOP!?!?!?
    Grumpily,
    jj,
    Stalwart defender of Fourier, Fletcher, and Shannon, and who speaks, at most, for himself.
  10. #590
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    WILL YOU ALL, ETHAN INCLUDED, JUST STOP!?!?!?
    Agreed. Maybe if I come back and throw beer over everyone's head. Think that might work? I might not have enough beer tho...
    "Facts, not opinions" David Kirkaldy.
    Ultimate Casio CZ for Kontakt
    My Music
  11. #591
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,389
    Rep Power 379012228

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Uh, unless you guys have some evidence regarding all this sockpuppetry, you should stop shouting about it.

    You don't like Ethan. Yes, I can see that. I can even see some reasons why, I was more than a bit peeved when he once lumped me in with the audiophool high end (please note modifier to "high end") myself in regard to, I think it was the "Skeptic" article.

    But you're beating on the wrong guy, I think.

    And all of this flamage does nobody any good, and just keeps the same old polarization intact.

    So I would suggest:

    WILL YOU ALL, ETHAN INCLUDED, JUST STOP!?!?!?
    J_J, I'm not convinced that Ethan literally employed sock puppets. I do, however, definitely believe that he has conspired with some of his "followers", specifically d_fu, to orchestrate a coordinated campaign. I believe that my criticisms in particular were particularly bothersome and, since he could not refute them by rational argument he conspired with d_fu to provoke a flame war with me with the goal of discrediting me and getting the tread pulled. Like an idiot I fell for it. Not real bright, I admit.

    As evidence for this theory I point to Ethan's post to d_fu in which he asked him to come to his site to discuss something. I forget the exact words, and now the thread has been pulled so I can't link to the post.

    So now the evidence of Ethan's confessions is gone and the evidence of his conspiring to discredit his critics is gone.

    I don't know about you, but I have a hard time letting something like this slide, especially since Ethan continues to attack me personally.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
  12. #592
    Quantum Psychic Turkey vulture soup slurper
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location South Bay LA
    Posts 233
    Rep Power 134217820

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    I find it amusing that Ethan thinks he's "won" when in reality, he's actually taken a HUGE loss. Although the threads with all the evidence has been closed on GS, that evidence in bits and pieces remain scattered across many other sources, like this forum. More importantly, he's lost the respect of many professionals in the field and there is just an air of scandal around the name Ethan Winer now. As media has shown, it's really hard to recover from that. Possible recovery from such bad press usually comes from the individual addressing the press with an official apology and comment.

    <shrug>

    I guess you can continue to tell yourself you've "won" if that'll make you feel better, but in the bigger perspective, you've hurt yourself tremendously. This is beyond a regular debate as you were the spark that ignited the fire of the ugliness that has ensued. People are just not attracted to that type of business/person period.

    Frankly, before I got involved, I was set on putting in my order of acoustic treatment with you. Not the case anymore. I wonder how many more like myself have turned away from the ugliness that is Ethan Winer.
    "One should not pursue goals that are easily achieved. One must develop an instinct for what one can just barely achieve through one's greatest efforts."
    -Albert Einstein
  13. #593
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location New Milford, CT USA
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 0

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    I was more than a bit peeved when he once lumped me in with the audiophool high end (please note modifier to "high end") myself in regard to, I think it was the "Skeptic" article.
    That can't possibly be true. You must be thinking of someone else?

    --Ethan
  14. #594
    Martini Drinker Faded rockers wildlife reserve guard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,538
    Rep Power 2500000000

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Uh, unless you guys have some evidence regarding all this sockpuppetry, you should stop shouting about it.
    How about years of reading and moderating on the internet, and learning how to recognize shifts in writing patterns, along with a few other helpful tools that we have for this sort of thing. Notice, there have been plenty of posters agreeing with Ethan, and I've made this particular claim regarding ONE poster, and only for a short period of time. I would be happy to demonstrate the indicators in D-Fu's posts, including the obvious shift in tone, but the thread is currently hidden from view. Maybe if Ethan petitions Jules to reopen we can take a look.

    Originally Posted by Darh_Fader
    You don't like Ethan. Yes, I can see that. I can even see some reasons why, I was more than a bit peeved when he once lumped me in with the audiophool high end (please note modifier to "high end") myself in regard to, I think it was the "Skeptic" article.
    I would respectfully disagree with this. First of all, I don't have any negative feelings towards Ethan whatsoever. I've stated repeatedly what my problem is with Ethan, and it has to do with his favorite phrase, oddly enough--Argument from Authority--and he USES both you and the AES to give himself this much needed boost in authority. You're obviously capable of correcting the record where distortions regarding you personally are concerned. It's the AES that has no business backing up Ethan's absurd claims and providing him gravitas that he clearly doesn't deserve.

    But you're beating on the wrong guy, I think.

    And all of this flamage does nobody any good, and just keeps the same old polarization intact.

    So I would suggest:

    WILL YOU ALL, ETHAN INCLUDED, JUST STOP!?!?!?
    When the AES distances themselves from Ethan, I'll stop. When Ethan stops manipulating the conversations with sockpuppets, I'll stop. Until then, I calls it as I sees it. Just as you do.

    Originally Posted by Darth_Fader
    ...he once lumped me in with the audiophool high end (please note modifier to "high end") myself in regard to, I think it was the "Skeptic" article.
    That can't possibly be true. You must be thinking of someone else?

    --Ethan
    This is Ethan trying to bring you back into the fold as his own personal gravitas provider. I'm not sure why you're so conflicted where he's concerned, but it's clear he doesn't have nearly the loyalty you've been displaying towards him.

    Enjoy,

    Mixerman
    Zen and the Art of Recording - NOW AVAILABLE!





  15. #595
    Join Date Mar 2010
    Location Sunny Seattle
    Posts 836
    Rep Power 536870996

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    When the AES distances themselves from Ethan, I'll stop. When Ethan stops manipulating the conversations with sockpuppets, I'll stop. Until then, I calls it as I sees it. Just as you do.
    The AES inivites speakers. It does not endorse their positions, in general, and certainly not in workshops like this one.

    I'm not sure what you're saying.

    Most of the AES, by the way, is by learning very skeptical thanks to the audiophoole "high end" types, and much of its hostility comes about from there. They have at various times been bombarded with entire dumptrucks of fertilizer.

    It is good to make it clear that there are a variety of other positions, and that some issues are in regard to preference, compensating for the necessarily defective acoustic capture, etc.

    I've communicated quietly some of the positions that will trigger instant rejection, some of you may agree, some may not, but there is a long history and some good reasons, for instance, to simply roll eyes when DBT's (done right) are attacked. There are other things that are often rejected out of hand, especially regarding preference and illusion, that warrant some careful scientific examination. There are a few who assert "this is impossible". It's not, but that is a problem with some elements of the AES.

    But these are not Ethan problems, please. If it's anything, he's a symptom.

    Ethan, I don't know if it was you or the folks at Skeptic, but I was basically told that "our expert says you'are full of it", in slightly more polite Michael-speak. There were some rather sweeping statements, which I don't recall specifically any more, but that were very much too far and too sweeping.

    It is not necessary to overdo the dismissal in order to indict audiophilia, at least for the most part. Those who purely limit their issues to personal preference do not involk argument. Again, those who generalize from it are "past my nose" so to speak.
    Grumpily,
    jj,
    Stalwart defender of Fourier, Fletcher, and Shannon, and who speaks, at most, for himself.
  16. #596
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Location Third Stone From The Sun
    Posts 441
    Rep Power 536870989

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    You don't like Ethan. Yes, I can see that.
    I wouldn't say that anyone dislikes Ethan, the person.

    I would say that there is much dislike for what Ethan spews.

    For what ever reason, he's on a mission and has been for sometime to cram his ideas and opinions down peoples throat and he puts that spotlight on himself.

    People in the field doing this shit everyday know better and have proved him wrong on a number of occasions, yet despite this, he still claims victory in defeat. It's a little disturbing, as are some of the revelations that have come to light recently.

    E claims to believe in the truth, but then does not tell the truth.
    E claims to believe in the scientific method, but then disregards the scientific evidence.

    It's just weird that someone would act like an authority on recording and not have one commercial album credit to his name. It is also strange that he monitors through one of the shittyest systems I have ever heard of. What's the motivation behind it all?... Helping people or selling stuff...
    Last edited by Waltz Mastering; May 7th, 2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typo
  17. #597
    Quantum Psychic Turkey vulture soup slurper
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location South Bay LA
    Posts 233
    Rep Power 134217820

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    He loves the attention?

    Poor Mrs. Winer.
    "One should not pursue goals that are easily achieved. One must develop an instinct for what one can just barely achieve through one's greatest efforts."
    -Albert Einstein
  18. #598
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,153
    Rep Power 536871347

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Bob Lefsetz still likes to pretend he "won" in his debate with Gene Simmons
  19. #599
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Regular person but for the extra nipple
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,160
    Rep Power 536871147

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    I just want to mention that over at Gearsluts another thread was deleted.
    At this rate Jules is out of threads in a year or so...
    Next one's gone.

    Number of postings by yours truly down to 6. If another thread gets trashed all traces of my gearslustian existence are removed from this planet and I'll be a gearvirgin again.

    NoSlutAnymoreMac
    .
    Mac

    Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

    Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

    Creating complex solutions is easy.

  20. #600
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Ron Jeremy's fluffer
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location New Milford, CT USA
    Posts 597
    Rep Power 0

    Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

    Ethan, I don't know if it was you or the folks at Skeptic, but I was basically told that "our expert says you'are full of it", in slightly more polite Michael-speak. There were some rather sweeping statements, which I don't recall specifically any more, but that were very much too far and too sweeping.
    That doesn't sound familiar and I can't imagine they meant me. The original article was published in 2005, then they ran it again a few months ago as an online re-run. I can't think of anything I disagree with you on, so I have no idea what or how or why.

    Did you email them comments about my article or something? The only way I can imagine lumping you with audiophooles is if I accidentally wrote "JJ" when I meant to write "JA."

    --Ethan