Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pareeeeeeeeeeee
    Posts 2,270
    Rep Power 536871084

Zero Amperes Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

And Mona Lisa's expression says it all...

; J
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,286
    Rep Power 379012224

Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

And Mona Lisa's expression says it all...

; J
    Scientific American recently ran an analysis of the original of the Mona Lisa that explained how Leonardo managed that "enigmatic smile" effect where you don't see it looking straight at it but you do when looking out of the corner of your eye. Great analogy to how digital manages to lose that "indefinable something" that analog has......

I think it was a couple of months back.......
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,887
    Rep Power 536871071

Default Re: BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer gets facepalmed on GS. Shunned by bottom feeders everywhere. Read here!

Although maybe the analogy to the test is more about this:

malice
    "If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree."

B.Ohlson, oct 2012
    Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,218
    Rep Power 2500000000

My oh my.

Originally Posted by Ethan Winer @ GS
    I gladly admit that all three files sound the same to me. And not only through my Mackie/Rane/JBL system, through headphones too. But what I hear is not the point and never has been.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Belgistan
    Posts 1,151
    Rep Power 2500000000

Perhaps we need to improve the signal path.

once played a seventh chord in a folk song Can't believe it's not butter
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location hammertown
    Posts 178
    Rep Power 83886177

In that Spirit, I wrote this little ditty last night. Very rough yet but I wanted to post it up before the thread closed

Hey Ethan, I still love you Bro and I'm still going to trap my room

-mous
    LOL! Nice one!

Waiting for someone to come up with an Ethan-inspired tune called:

"SHUT YOUR TRAP"
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on little Lord Fauntleroy
    Join Date May 2009
    Location Ottawa
    Posts 73
    Rep Power 536870980

Here is an original digital copy, and a copy of that copy

if you cannot tell them apart, this PROVES that digital has made a perfect copy and therefor is of higher quality than oil paint on canvas.
    Comparing to the original painting is 'unnecessary'

everyone clear?
    That pretty much sums it up
    Caveman of Altamira Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Round Rock, Texas
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871032

BIG NEWS!! Ethan Winer, still a douche when it comes to audio or internet discussions!

Guy who owns cheap tannoys says he can't hear a difference and still totally agrees with him! News at 11!

Ummmm, when can we run our own test?
    crunch

"If I had a nickel for every project that went bad I'd have a bag of nickels. Then I would use that bag of nickels to beat former band members." - blackieC

"I have a well-thought-out plan that carries minimal risk to innocent bystanders"

"REMEMBER: The air NEVER KILLED ANYBODY. It's the ground that kills ya. KEEP THOSE METERS PINNED." - slipperman

Fix your console! AnalogConsole.com Forums
    Hot Rats Greatest Hits Loves Jules and The Polar Bears
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,416
    Rep Power 536871156

Perfect demonstration.
    (applause for Weedy)
    Exactly. How can a test of AD converters start with material that has already been digitized. The only valid test is to go from A to D.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    -Henri Poincare
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Greenwich, CT
    Posts 11
    Rep Power 64

You could do this without the extra pre and mic with a Metric Halo ULN 8 as it mults the input and gives access to the output before the convertor enabling you to capture both at the same time.
    Oh no you don't! Don't you go dragging us into this, or I'll remotely kill your +DSP license!

Just kidding.

(just because it's fun)
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Was once married to Larry King
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Cincinnati, Oh.
    Posts 532
    Rep Power 536871026

Oh no you don't! Don't you go dragging us into this, or I'll remotely kill your +DSP license!

Just kidding.

(just because it's fun)
    Shit Allen, check the bottom of your shoes before you get in the car.
    GIVE ME MY FUCKING PRIZE
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Location Third Stone From The Sun
    Posts 432
    Rep Power 536870988

In that Spirit, I wrote this little ditty last night. Very rough yet but I wanted to post it up before the thread closed

Hey Ethan, I still love you Bro and I'm still going to trap my room
    Great stuff - What kind of converters did you use ; )

There were just a few spots where there was some jitter.

15 sec jitter
    27 sec jitter
    47 sec jitter
    2:01 jitter
    2:10 jitter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,794
    Rep Power 2500000000

Exactly. How can a test of AD converters start with material that has already been digitized. The only valid test is to go from A to D.
    Agreed.

I think I've said in a bunch of other places, that the fundamental issue with conversion to digital is the very first entry. All subsequent iterations through MOST digital cards will do very little to affect the audio.

This is, I think, due to the fact that, as JJ has said many times, that Nyquist and Shannon are right, and digital conversion of band-limited audio is very, very good.

The thing is, that most cards can do a pretty good job of encoding what their output can produce.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,887
    Rep Power 536871071

There is perhaps a better test implying that the source comes from a top notch converter and the converters to test are recording the source without being clocked, with another computer.

I probably can do this with a cranesong as source and lavry/SSL/M-Audio/Rme, and cheapo laptop converters.

Maybe I can find an SB card.

At least this way you put back bad clocking issues into the test.

Still recording an acoustic source would be preferable I guess.

malice
    "If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree."

B.Ohlson, oct 2012
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,218
    Rep Power 2500000000

Just when you thought you'd heard it all :

Originally Posted by Ethan Winer @ GS
    To me there was no difference, but I accept that others hear a difference. The ones who say one is slightly clearer are likely right, though I'd prefer to be able to test that blind. I can only assume the people who hear a large difference in fullness are listening in an untreated room.
    So, lemme get this straight : Trapman(tm) is now saying that untreated rooms are actually better for assessing audio differences.

Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Nevada
    Posts 120
    Rep Power 369098903

Great stuff - What kind of converters did you use ; )

There were just a few spots where there was some jitter.

15 sec jitter
    27 sec jitter
    47 sec jitter
    2:01 jitter
    2:10 jitter
    Hey Tom! Wussup baby

I don't claim to know a whole lot about converters and audio guru stuff or this Ethan ordeal....
    I just know that I was told you guys had beer n chips and that your blow up dolls had 72% real hair.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,794
    Rep Power 2500000000

Just when you thought you'd heard it all :

So, lemme get this straight : Trapman(tm) is now saying that untreated rooms are actually better for assessing audio differences.

No, this makes perfect sense, as an analysis of the tautological nature of Ethan's position.

Basically, if you think he's wrong, it's because you are listening in a situation where you are being fooled by room effects.

One of his main theories is that people hear differences because they're moving their head around in an untreated space, and that room effects account for most, if not all, results.

I'm not exactly sure how he reconciles the people that listened in headphones though.

"...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,218
    Rep Power 2500000000

No, this makes perfect sense, as an analysis of the tautological nature of Ethan's position.

Basically, if you think he's wrong, it's because you are listening in a situation where you are being fooled by room effects.

One of his main theories is that people hear differences because they're moving their head around in an untreated space, and that room effects account for most, if not all, results.

I'm not exactly sure how he reconciles the people that listened in headphones though.

I'll still call nitpicking bullshit.
    The untreated room would sound different, but identically different. Not enhancing the differences between converters. Or isn't the issue that there IS actually a difference ?
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 5
    Rep Power 91

Very entertaining indeed...

But I feel sorry for a man that worked hard for a reputation as Mr. Trap going south in such an embarassing way. I mean - who on earth could possibly take any of his words seriously after this brain-meltdown?

Originally Posted by EW
    Of course I'm still right. I'm always right! You didn't already know that?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871070

Monitoring live off the:

1. Console- Very very nice.
    2. Tape- Very very nice but different than 1.
    3. Nice Converter- different from 1 and 2 but useable
    4. crap converter- different from 1, 2 and 3
    5. copy of a copy- who fucking cares?
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."