Thread: ummm nice name

Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

Default ummm nice name

Hello/to whom it may concern....

I actually run a website/service called mixIT

[...link deleted...]

I won't ask that you discontinue using the name, because I like you guys....but please recognize

the name has been registered and running since 2005 (approx.)
    Last edited by MacGregor; November 12th, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Posting restored to keep discussion context intact
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

Default Re: ummm nice name

interesting... so you provide "a world class engineer" but won't say who it is?

or where it's done, or on what?
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

interesting... so you provide "a world class engineer" but won't say who it is?

or where it's done, or on what?

the service is a designation service....and focuses on delivery....not the studio or engineers used....that is mostly up to the clients....

if you want to discuss it with me please feel free to send me an email, as I don't think it's prudent to discuss or advertise any services on someones website (other than my own)

please don't try to discredit it...either way the name is and has been registered

I'm not mad, just an FYI is all

not asking anyone to discontinue using the name

please read the website more completely, as it states that that is our mission....designation to world class engineers (plural) and world class studios

I'm a small fish and no one has anything to worry about

I do have a track record though and am with out a doubt qualified....
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

discussing your openly advertised business model is "discrediting" it?

so, what you are selling basically is the idea that your service doesn't really depend on the quality of the actual mixer doing the work, beyond a 'trust us'?

because you "focus on delivery" and "designation" (whatever that means?)

meaning, you're a clearing house for mixers? or you have people but don't want to say who they are?

you don't need to email me privately to find out who I am and what I've done. You can look me up quite publicly.
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,568
    Rep Power 536871190

Hang on. I need to stock up on popcorn and beverages.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Sentimental Hygenist
    Join Date Jun 2010
    Location In the land of unicorn farts
    Posts 88
    Rep Power 469762121

So you don't care if the name is used. Then what is the point of the post. If it was for PR/advertising not sure it was the brightest way to go!!
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

discussing your openly advertised business model is "discrediting" it?

so, what you are selling basically is the idea that your service doesn't really depend on the quality of the actual mixer doing the work, beyond a 'trust us'?

because you "focus on delivery" and "designation" (whatever that means?)

meaning, you're a clearing house for mixers? or you have people but don't want to say who they are?

you don't need to email me privately to find out who I am and what I've done. You can look me up quite publicly.

no, you have it a bit wrong I think

my service is in helping my current clients transport their material in a secure and cost effective manner....

the service strictly enforces that I personally MUST be contacted to engage in any form of business

it is NOT a clearing house for mixers or studios....it's a private service for my current clients

they already know who the engineers and studios are

do you feel that is misrepresented on the website?

happy to take feedback
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

So you don't care if the name is used. Then what is the point of the post. If it was for PR/advertising not sure it was the brightest way to go!!
    because it is a registered name, and I don't mind people using the name for a non-profit...I do, however, mind if it becomes someone elses bread and butter

that's all...it's a friendly assertion...that's all....

I don't need to do advertising, as it's a private service

Small Potatoes

yet it is part of my business

hope that is a fair explanation
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

one other thing I might mention...mixIT, is also a designation of the JCpenny company (I found that out the hard way)...

they used the name to brand a "fall fashion" sale...and they do hold a registration for it as a reserved license....they did however state that the name was un-used and would not be part of their on going marketing campaign...

essentially they said use it at your own risk...

they would NOT sell me the reserved website name though =(

I assure you I am only here to help people out

hope it doesn't come off as anything else

also "weedy", just because some people don't choose to do business the same way as YOU do, doesn't mean they are snakes in the grass or deadbeats....
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

I actually run a website/service called mixIT
    Hello and welcome to the Womb, make yourself comfortable and enjoy the show

Maybe you failed to notice, but if you read it CAREFULLY you'll see that over here it's called "MiX iT!"

Not mixit, miXit, mixIT?, mixit², mix or mix

Uppercase "M", lowercase "i", uppercase "X", a space, lowercase "i", uppercase "T", and an exclamation mark "!".

In the English language it's the imperative of "to mix", and means, in this special case, to mix some tracks provided by forum members.

It's a regular event, feel free to participate in the future, it's fun and educative.
    Maybe you can learn something from it and improve your skills.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

Hello and welcome to the Womb, make yourself comfortable and enjoy the show

Maybe you failed to notice, but if you read it CAREFULLY you'll see that over here it's called "MiX iT!"

Not mixit, miXit, mixIT?, mixit², mix or mix

Uppercase "M", lowercase "i", uppercase "X", a space, lowercase "i", uppercase "T", and an exclamation mark "!".

In the English language it's the imperative of "to mix", and means, in this special case, to mix some tracks provided by forum members.

It's a regular event, feel free to participate in the future, it's fun and educative.
    Maybe you can learn something from it and improve your skills.

Mac
    =)

that's funny....glad to see someone is a sport about it

I would be happy to participate...I am pretty comfortable and content with my current skill-set, but one can always learn...and teach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

no, you have it a bit wrong I think

my service is in helping my current clients transport their material in a secure and cost effective manner....

the service strictly enforces that I personally MUST be contacted to engage in any form of business

it is NOT a clearing house for mixers or studios....it's a private service for my current clients

they already know who the engineers and studios are

do you feel that is misrepresented on the website?

happy to take feedback
    not necessarily misrepresented, just unclear

so you're not selling or advertising mixing services? only a service to facilitate file transfer?

then why mention world class studios and engineers and list equipment and plug ins and such?

I'm confused.

no one avails himself of your service UNLESS he already has a mixer and studio or producer in place?
    they don't find people through you?
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

not necessarily misrepresented, just unclear

so you're not selling or advertising mixing services? only a service to facilitate file transfer?

then why mention world class studios and engineers and list equipment and plug ins and such?

I'm confused.

no one avails himself of your service UNLESS he already has a mixer and studio or producer in place?
    they don't find people through you?

not exactly....it is a designation service to facilitate the file transfers (and long term file storage) for my own mixing services and studio....and if the client of mine is going to get referred by me to someone else (for mastering or production or anything I feel I don't have the time or am not qualified to handle)

but the service is invite only...so everyone going there has been referred to me, or is an existing client...

like I said it's really small potatoes...it just helps me work with folks in a more streamlined manner

I think it's really cool that I am able to do it...and I have spent a lot of time and sweat (and money) creating it...

maybe I need to re-vamp the homepage...I have never been great at selling my services....but I have been trying my best to figure out how to work with my clients in a cost effective and uncompromising way

I hope I am explaining it well....maybe since my concept and the wombs concepts are so similar, I could possibly help out with something down the road...seems like a great combo...

would prefer to discuss it in private though...I feel like a bit of a salesman right now =(

mainly the service was started by me to make payment and data transfer and archival simple for my clients, and for anyone I might refer them too....hey that's what my homepage should say....thanks for the tips
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I too am confused by this thread.

First, because I think the claims to the site name that we're allegedly infringing on puts my longshot-o-meter a few degrees south of Monster Cable.

Second, because I have no earthly idea what the web site in question is about, or what they're selling.

Third, why would you bring this up at all if you're actually not making any claims?

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

I too am confused by this thread.

First, because I think the claims to the site name that we're allegedly infringing on puts my longshot-o-meter a few degrees south of Monster Cable.

Second, because I have no earthly idea what the web site in question is about, or what they're selling.

Third, why would you bring this up at all if you're actually not making any claims?

otek

why? the site is a registered domain, and the business is registered with my state of residence....how is that a long shot? it's a fact

I brought it up, because I have spent money registering and developing a business with the name mixIT, and I want to make sure that no competing business uses my registered name

why is that difficult to understand or a longshot?

that actually confuses me

I would actually think it's pretty gracious to laugh about the fact that someone else is using my name....???

EDIT : I didn't intend to have a discussion about this...in hind sight it was a bad idea to even mention it...since I am not opposed to anyone using the name....looking for a delete thread command now....if the topic is troublesome or you feel something is out of line, then please don't reply and let the thread fall off the front page....it was a friendly assertion, that's all (geez)
    Last edited by Ari-M.; November 9th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Grumpy young man
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,941
    Rep Power 2500000000

Well, er. I operate a website that is registered under my full and real name and..

Well

There's this guy in Britain who is a model train enthusiast and he has the same name as me, and he posts in web forums all over the UK.

I'm not about to rush over there and tell him to change his name since my business is registered to me and my domain name ALSO shares my name.

ALSO ALSO, my recording studio happens to share the name of an underground dance nightclub in LA. Nobody is confused...

AND

NOR IS ANYONE SWINGING THEIR DICKS because NONE OF THESE PARTIES ARE INFRINGING ANYONES REGISTERED TRADE MARKS.

Just saying - there are dark clouds hanging over a teacup somewhere.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

Well, er. I operate a website that is registered under my full and real name and..

Well

There's this guy in Britain who is a model train enthusiast and he has the same name as me, and he posts in web forums all over the UK.

I'm not about to rush over there and tell him to change his name since my business is registered to me and my domain name ALSO shares my name.

ALSO ALSO, my recording studio happens to share the name of an underground dance nightclub in LA. Nobody is confused...

AND

NOR IS ANYONE SWINGING THEIR DICKS because NONE OF THESE PARTIES ARE INFRINGING ANYONES REGISTERED TRADE MARKS.

Just saying - there are dark clouds hanging over a teacup somewhere.

so someone tell me how to delete the thread....I thought I was being gracious...in hindsight I guess it's not taken that way...
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Sentimental Hygenist
    Join Date Jun 2010
    Location In the land of unicorn farts
    Posts 88
    Rep Power 469762121

so someone tell me how to delete the thread....I thought I was being gracious...in hindsight I guess it's not taken that way...
    You are being gracious? The title of the thread is "Umm nice name." Fairly confrontational right out the gate. You have a domain named Mixit.com ok so what this it Mix iT and is not under a domain. You also have registered that name with the state you reside in to do business. Once again that is irrellevant. I am th CEO of a large medical company. There is another company in Colorado with the exact same name as my company. There is nothing either of us can do about it nor do we care. Point is once again Why bring this up?
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Grumpy young man
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,941
    Rep Power 2500000000

It's taken (by me) as idiocy to rock up somewhere and inform people without prejudice that they are infringing against your trading name when in fact MiX iT here is a contraction of Charles Dye's Mix It Like A Record (which I'll wager is a galactically larger trading name) which he kindly operates/lets us operate here.

I'M JUST SAYING that if we're going to compare potatoes to potatoes.. you know where I'm going with this right?
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Sunny San Diego
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

You are being gracious? The title of the thread is "Umm nice name." Fairly confrontational right out the gate. You have a domain named Mixit.com ok so what this it Mix iT and is not under a domain. You also have registered that name with the state you reside in to do business. Once again that is irrellevant. I am th CEO of a large medical company. There is another company in Colorado with the exact same name as my company. There is nothing either of us can do about it nor do we care. Point is once again Why bring this up?

since you don't agree with me, why do you keep bumping this thread...just tell me how to delete it and move along....for fucks sake man

it's called a business courtesy, usually when 2 entities share a name, they mention it to each other so that they are aware and avoid any problems down the road....being the CEO of a large medical company I would think you understand that?

I already said I thought it was a professional courtesy and in hindsight it isn't being taken that way...let it go