Thread: Something else that's wrong with the internet...

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,291
    Rep Power 379012225

Default Re: Something else that's wrong with the internet...

I think the bigger and simpler point is being missed, although Dave kind of touched it for a second.

I don't think this stuff is something wrong with the internet. It's more basic. It is, in simplest terms, about attention problems.

I know that at least once in the past around here, there has been some talk about something that Pat Metheny talked about once upon a time in an interview, that I thought was just brilliant. He hit something on the head.

He called the phenomenon "option anxiety". He was talking about people dealing with musical situations where there were a large set of options available in one way or another. Maybe it's some digital uber wonder synth with 1000 patches (and another stack of extra patch libraries ready to load in). Maybe signal processors. Et Cetera.

The point was that he thought it was a real attention and focus problem in the sense that you could find yourself getting just plain distracted from the stuff at hand, a piece of music, with players in a room, because a person is getting derailed going off punching through a bazillion presets and giving each one just a few seconds of attention before jumping to the next one. The "option anxiety" being all about having some nagging, compulsive urge to keep checking out the next one, and the next one, and the next one, because of some anxiety that if you settle on something and really dig into it, you might miss some other really cool thing in the million possibilities you haven't checked out yet.

It's the same stuff here.

It's really not about the internet (the web, specifically, really), it's about a kind of neurosis.

JLE
    It's another aspect of the problem that manifests as DAW based recordists stacking up a zillion alternate takes and committing to none.....
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,563
    Rep Power 536871161

We could probably take this into a lot of different areas and draw similarities in

ooh! Shiny object!

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871156

Is it really "shiny objects", though, or is it more like pebbles on the beach. So many of them...you just stop paying attention, and then they all start to seem the same.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,563
    Rep Power 536871161

Is it really "shiny objects", though, or is it more like pebbles on the beach. So many of them...you just stop paying attention, and then they all start to seem the same.
    That's pretty much exactly what I think about the phenomenon of "I gots me 1500 songs in my iPod (and I don't really listen to any of them)".

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Let it Be Still My Broken Heart Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871156

Yep, and that's the crux of this "problem" I'm citing with the internet. There is too much and access is too easy. All commodities lose their value when there is a massive glut.

And another major factor is that everyone now senses the lack of gatekeepers. McCartney is churning around with DJ Whackintosh and every wannabe metal overlord and club diva on MySpace and YouTube. I think when the bar gets lowered simply by a natural lowering of the common denominator, people start to expect lower value across the board, which means everyone's perceived quality suffers.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Silly Rabbit Thinks Humbert got a raw deal
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location Mesa, Arizona
    Posts 115
    Rep Power 469762109

Any Motown or Beatles hit would be a great example.

Jumping Jack Flash - Stones

Tocatta & fugue in Dm - J. S. Bach

Sunshine of Your Love - Cream

Rhapsody in Blue - George Gershwin

Come As You Are - Nirvana

5th Symphony - Beethoven

Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper

Time Is Running Out - Muse

Big Bang Baby - STP
    Not sure what it means but aside from the classical pieces you list, I own all these songs and they are certainly favorites. The only classical pieces I own are Dvorak's Symphony for the New World and the Four Seasons by Vivadi.

I know when I first started writing my own music I was always told to hook 'em up front - The person you are trying to sell it to will only give it about 10 to 15 seconds before they move on.
    Russell

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."
    Charlie Parker

"Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it's so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
    Frank Zappa